A few Raymarine questions.

pandos

Visit site
A few questions about my new to me boat. It's a Southerly 100 with two helm positions.

There are st60 wind depth and speed outdoors as well as a multi repeater at the lower helm along with a C90W MFD with radar and charts.. everything is linked up..(I may be beginning to like networked stuff)

Questions? There are no cups on the masthead wind yoke. Presumably these were carried away by a storm or a big bird. Are they long lasting after having the cups and vane replaced or do I need to get a complete masthead unit or even replace with a non-moving parts one like a Calypso?

There is a wired remote for the Auto pilot, I think it's A15002, is this just a set of momentary switches which I could augment with a cheap Chinese wireless remote?

I have a spare autopilot head, if I wire this and connect it to the network will it display the course from the existing autopilot, or would it need to have its own compass..I presume the two pilots cannot be connected to the one compass. (I can read this without glasses and the existing head is on the coming behind the helm)

I'd like to have a screen outdoors..what's the likely to be the cheapest (Used)MFD that I could use, which would let me use the charts, radar and position from the existing MFD? I presume I am stuck with Raymarine if I want to see the radar and controll things from either MFD but is there a way to share/mirror the display on a tablet, or even wired to another screen.

Many thanks.

Tony.

DrSpock

Visit site
You can buy cups or a vane as spares, they are held on with a single screw and usually fare well.

The autopilot remote sends specific Seatalk commands so it's not just switches closing circuit. You can buy a wireless version from Raymarine or a 3rd party.

You can connect a second autopilot head via Seatalk and it will function. The compass connects to the autopilot course computer and is shared.

If you want a repeater buy another C90w and connect it via SeatalkHS. You can't connect a tablet to displays of this age and the C90w only supports composite video input (camera).

Download the manual online if you haven't read it as it explains connectivity and networking options.

Irish Rover

Visit site
The autopilot remote sends specific Seatalk commands so it's not just switches closing circuit. You can buy a wireless version from Raymarine or a 3rd party.
I bought one of these for my previous boat and it worked well. I removed it when I sold the boat with the intention of fitting it on my new boat but didn't. As far as I know my son in NI still has it. I can check with him if you're interested at 50% of original price plus postage.
Remote control for Raymarine

pandos

Visit site
I bought one of these for my previous boat and it worked well. I removed it when I sold the boat with the intention of fitting it on my new boat but didn't. As far as I know my son in NI still has it. I can check with him if you're interested at 50% of original price plus postage.
Remote control for Raymarine
Pm on the way...

pandos

Visit site
You can buy cups or a vane as spares, they are held on with a single screw and usually fare well.

You can connect a second autopilot head via Seatalk and it will function. The compass connects to the autopilot course computer and is shared.

If you want a repeater buy another C90w and connect it via SeatalkHS. You can't connect a tablet to displays of this age and the C90w only supports composite video input (camera).

Download the manual online if you haven't read it as it explains connectivity and networking options.
Thanks for that. There is no course computer, it seems all is built into the head... But a second head on the dashboard above the companion way which would let me see the current compass course would be ideal.

I still have not been able to locate the compass...although I suspect it is hidden somewhere near the bow. Next time I have company I'll might go on a tour of the boat with a magnet..

I'll keep an eye out for a C90W.

Thanks

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Thanks for that. There is no course computer, it seems all is built into the head... But a second head on the dashboard above the companion way which would let me see the current compass course would be ideal.

I still have not been able to locate the compass...although I suspect it is hidden somewhere near the bow. Next time I have company I'll might go on a tour of the boat with a magnet..

I'll keep an eye out for a C90W.

Thanks
If it's all built into the head, that's where the compass is on most models. Which model do you have ?

pandos

Visit site
If it's all built into the head, that's where the compass is on most models. Which model do you have ?
I think it's a ST4000+? I had expected there to be a course computer but I saw on the handbook that it was all in the head.

I am pretty sure the compass is separate the spare which I have came with a separate compass (which I fitted on my old boat)

kwb78

Visit site
I believe that a second autopilot control head will operate as a repeater if it's not connected directly to the fluxgate compass. That's how the old ST50 compass used to work anyway.

DrSpock

Visit site
I think it's a ST4000+? I had expected there to be a course computer but I saw on the handbook that it was all in the head.

I am pretty sure the compass is separate the spare which I have came with a separate compass (which I fitted on my old boat)
Raymarine have only ever used an internal compass on the ST1000/2000 series tiller pilots the rest use the external fluxgate or the later models use the EV1 or EV2.

A second unit would connect via Seatalk only and be a remote station.

PaulRainbow

Visit site

Yes, it is separate on the ST4000+

Bodach na mara

Visit site
The remote compass will be mounted wherever the guy fitting it fancied. AFAIK it is a fluxgate device so you won't find it using a magnet. I found mine (under the berth in th after cabin beside the exhaust silencer) by accident.

lustyd

Visit site
There are no cups on the masthead wind yoke. Presumably these were carried away by a storm or a big bird. Are they long lasting after having the cups and vane replaced
If you replace the cups, don't do it at the top of the mast. Go up and bring the unit down (the stick unscrews from the mount) and do it inside. Without cups spinning it, it's likely to have seized a bit so won't give good readings if you put new cups on. They can be freed up with a bit of fettling, so no problems but I thought it worth mentioning that you probably will do at least two trips up the mast regardless, and this effort is easier on deck :)

pandos

Visit site
If you replace the cups, don't do it at the top of the mast. Go up and bring the unit down (the stick unscrews from the mount) and do it inside. Without cups spinning it, it's likely to have seized a bit so won't give good readings if you put new cups on. They can be freed up with a bit of fettling, so no problems but I thought it worth mentioning that you probably will do at least two trips up the mast regardless, and this effort is easier on deck :)
Thanks for that, I am going to get the mast dropped as I need to fit a crane to take a spinnaker halyard for pulling up the dinghy and maybe even for a cruising chute...

Also want to fit a decent deck light and sort out steaming light..

I also have no idea what light is at the masthead.

lustyd

Visit site
Ah. Now if I were dropping the mast I'd probably replace the unit, along with a new VHF antenna etc. just because it's so convenient while down. The new masthead units need different wiring and a different mount so are a pain to do while the mast is up.

That's assuming you don't regularly drop the mast, of course. If you do then ignore this :)

pandos

Visit site
Ah. Now if I were dropping the mast I'd probably replace the unit, along with a new VHF antenna etc. just because it's so convenient while down. The new masthead units need different wiring and a different mount so are a pain to do while the mast is up.

That's assuming you don't regularly drop the mast, of course. If you do then ignore this :)
Thanks for the suggestions but I'll just go with the cheaper option of fitting new cups and a Vane. The new antenna is ready to go up.

Where I moor we get big birds..even bigger than sesame Street gets. No wind instrument lasts more than a few years....