A Clyde cruising Alternative?

seafox67

Visit site
I've been based in the Clyde for the past 10 years.
My reasons have been;
1> I can get to a quiet anchorage in a day sail.
2> With all the sea lochs etc, there is always a sheltered anchorage.
3> Despite the Scottish weather, I can almost always get out and sail somewhere!
4> The area is relatively cheap!

I have now moved to middle England with a new job that allows occasional remote working (from the boat).

So, now I'm wondering if I should also move my boat to a different cruising ground! Somewhere that has the same reasons for staying in the Clyde for so long!

I've briefly sailed around some of the UK coastal waters but I can't think of anywhere with lots of quiet anchorages within a day sail from a base and doesn't require a second mortgage to keep the boat!

Any thoughts?

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I would recommend one of the marinas on Scotland's west coats around Oban as it has good road and rail links (current strikes hopefully won't go on forever): -

Sail - Sail Scotland

My own recommendation would be either Craobh or Ardfern as they give good access to many areas by day sailing. The cost of the marinas are similar to the Clyde, hence if you find the Clyde unaffordable, that would be the same northwards.

Alternatively, there are various moorings on offer from some of the marinas that are a lower cost, see Ardfern or Kilmelford Yacht Haven (not on Sail Scotland web site but a good facility) for example, easily accessible from the marina facilities.

Home - Kilmelford Yacht Haven

All of the marinas around Oban offer the same as your first 3 points. Point 4 might only be addressed through a mooring.

The only thing I would check, is mobile phone access, to hot spot, if you are using a laptop. I occasionally work from my boat in the area suggested and so far, no significant issues, using Vodaphone, indeed, new 4G masts were added a few years ago.

Good luck with your search.

seafox67

Visit site
Look at North Waes or Lancashire.
Neither are as good as the Clyde (my opinion?) but there's plenty to go at in the Irish sea
I've been looking at Wales and Fleetwood marina but the weather is a little worrying... It would cut my 7 hour drive down to about 3 hours though :)

seafox67

Visit site
I would recommend one of the marinas on Scotland's west coats around Oban as it has good road and rail links (current strikes hopefully won't go on forever): -

Sail - Sail Scotland

My own recommendation would be either Craobh or Ardfern as they give good access to many areas by day sailing. The cost of the marinas are similar to the Clyde, hence if you find the Clyde unaffordable, that would be the same northwards.

Alternatively, there are various moorings on offer from some of the marinas that are a lower cost, see Ardfern or Kilmelford Yacht Haven (not on Sail Scotland web site but a good facility) for example, easily accessible from the marina facilities.

All of the marinas around Oban offer the same as your first 3 points. Point 4 might only be addressed through a mooring.

The only thing I would check, is mobile phone access, to hot spot, if you are using a laptop. I occasionally work from my boat in the area suggested and so far, no significant issues, using Vodaphone, indeed, new 4G masts were added a few years ago.

I'm convinced Scotland has better mobile internet than England... Before Covid I remote worked/lived on the boat around the west coast Scotland for 3 months and always found a quiet anchorage with plenty of mobile internet.... I sat just off otter ferry once with 80 mbps of internet! :)

FWB

N/A
Visit site
OK so presently 7 hours.
A number of people in the Midlands sail in Devon and Cornwall.
Falmouth is a 5 hour drive from the Birmingham area and is probably the closest you will get to a similar cruising area. However I’m sure it won’t beat the areas available to you from the Clyde.
The Carrick Roads offers year round sailing and a number of anchorages. Then there’s the Helford nearby, a trip up to Fowey and of course the Isles of Scilly in settled weather. Also round the corner to Mullion and beyond.
I have kept my boat in Mylor for the past 20 years. I live in Bath. The Harbour marina and moorings are not cheap but the yacht club does offer moorings to members.

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
Are you at JWD? We’ve been there for five years now. I think you already know that there’s no other UK cruising area to match the West Coast of Scotland. We sailed in the West Country for a decade and it’s nice for sure but it’s no match for Scotland. We drive from West Devon to JWD in about 8hrs 30m - it’s worth every boring mile of motorway……

seafox67

Visit site
Are you at JWD? We’ve been there for five years now. I think you already know that there’s no other UK cruising area to match the West Coast of Scotland. We sailed in the West Country for a decade and it’s nice for sure but it’s no match for Scotland. We drive from West Devon to JWD in about 8hrs 30m - it’s worth every boring mile of motorway……
Yep, I've been in JWD before. Holy Loch and swinging in Rosneath! :) I am struggling to find another similar area closer to me but it looks like a compromise with a longer drive!

I will need to sign up with a marina soon so thought it was worth putting this thread up just in case I missed somewhere.

Cheers

seafox67

Visit site
OK so presently 7 hours.
A number of people in the Midlands sail in Devon and Cornwall.
Falmouth is a 5 hour drive from the Birmingham area and is probably the closest you will get to a similar cruising area. However I’m sure it won’t beat the areas available to you from the Clyde.
The Carrick Roads offers year round sailing and a number of anchorages. Then there’s the Helford nearby, a trip up to Fowey and of course the Isles of Scilly in settled weather. Also round the corner to Mullion and beyond.
I have kept my boat in Mylor for the past 20 years. I live in Bath. The Harbour marina and moorings are not cheap but the yacht club does offer moorings to members.
Thanks, I like Falmouth. I'll have a close look at the area! :)

FWB

N/A
Visit site
Just opposite Mylor. We go across there in Easterlies. There is the stunning church at St Just in Roseland with a café and a pleasant walk along the shoreline to St Mawes. 7898F4D2-1BB4-4ED6-A1B9-64124A5278C8.jpeg

Uricanejack

Visit site

Sail - Sail Scotland

Very nice but Oban 1. 5 to 2 hrs driving further north than the Clyde. Isn’t this the opposite of what the OP wants.