A Centaur with a Tiger's Head?

Visit site
Westerly owners will immediately get it.

Did the company ever produce Centaurs with the Tiger's cabin top?

Looking at a boat. Otherwise a very attractive offer. Seller claims it is a Centaur & has the documentation for it, but the top is clearly a Tiger's. I actually like the Tiger's top from a practical point of view (more light & headroom in fore cabin) which makes it even more attractive, & I think it would fit, but apart from one custom made one, I've never heard of it being done by the factory.

Seller's not a sailor & my manners prohibit me from telling them to stick their head underwater & have look. But would like to know before I invested the time & energy into going to see it.

Thanks.

Think ...

DueNSJeWsAMWhre

Coincidentally, the Chinese have a word for one, which is Mamahuhu or "horse tiger". A way of saying something's neither one thing nor the other, which read like a cool boat name.

The story goes that a particularly lazy artist drew a tiger's head then someone asked him to draw a horse, so the artist just added a horse's body to the tiger's head. The customer didn't want the resulting painting so the artist kept it, leading to unfortunately results. The artist's elder son mistakenly killed a horse which he mistook for a tiger; and the younger son got killed by a tiger that he tried to ride like a horse.

I guess there's a moral to that story.

Simonpk

Visit site
Not that I'm aware of. Tigers were 25ft and Centaurs are 26ft with a 'knuckle' on the bow. The Pembroke was a fin keeled Centaur.

Bilgediver

Visit site
What is the sail number and what is the number on the stern if present and on The Lloyds Plate at the hatch. Someone can identify from these.

Bilgediver

Visit site

Refueler

Visit site
There are pictures on the web which show it as a fin type so similar to the Pembroke. Windows and hatch are not the same as the Centaur and I think the keel profile might be different to the Pembroke but difficult to see.

Used Westerly Tiger for sale (Sailing Boats) | TheYachtMarket

Westerly Pembroke - NOT FOR SALE, details for information only

I have pics of Westerlys ... my request was to see the boat OP is referring to ... because he's saying a 26ft hull may have a 25ft deck / superstructure .... has my interest pegged !

jwilson

Visit site
Remember early Centaurs had different forward windows to later ones, but AFAIK the hull and deck mouldings were always the same.

Refueler

Visit site
I think you got it! The sellers don't know what they have. It was here on a Dutch site.

Wesley centaur (sic)

Mystery solved.

Thanks.

Yep - Pageant.

The tricky bit is ...... Pageants had various fwd windows styles ... single round port ... single square port ... twin round ports ... twin square ports .... but the giveaway is of course the Length and the lack of cabin top step.
For 23ft - they were an excellent compromise of compact but spacious boat.

Its not so unusual for sellers to 'hint' at the Centaur / Colvic 26 names when selling such boats ... even my Sunrider 25 was advertised as a Colvic 26 ... moment I walked down the pontoon to her - knew it was not a Colvic. Just to show how silly it can get - seller for my SR25 presented me with a Surveyors report .. titled : Superanne - Colvic 26.

ianat182

Visit site
That forehatch belongs to a Westerly Tiger not a Pageant, Tigers also changed forward windows . Mine on a 1973 Tiger were of the round type and to square on the later year models. The Tiger25' and Cirrus 23' both John Butler designs ,the latter had bilge and fin keels I believe.

Visit site
As an aside, I find these discussions often lead to interesting new discoveries, some guy in France is offering 3D printing files for a Tiger 'inspired' model, if anyone is sentimental about their old one. (Two separate links).

Shows promise, although he got the hatches wrong. The idea could be useful for planning alterations, e.g. junk rig or Roger Taylor-style U-boat conversions, for those of us who can't visualise things in a 3D manner.

2017-05-31%2015.19.04%201527063229451297418_3660634955.jpg

dormitorio%20ba%C3%B1o.jpg