90/180 day shuffle

TSailors

Visit site
hello , I a 59 year old brit, recently bought a sailboat in Norway and I'm slowly (weather pretty bad in Norway) bringing it back home to Turkey . most of my path will go through EU countries .
I already spent two months in Norway and almost ready to leave it for Denmark , Netherlands ,and France, Italy , Greece .
it seems the 90 day limit is not going to be enough for me. what shall I do ?

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
hello , I a 59 year old brit, recently bought a sailboat in Norway and I'm slowly (weather pretty bad in Norway) bringing it back home to Turkey . most of my path will go through EU countries .
I already spent two months in Norway and almost ready to leave it for Denmark , Netherlands ,and France, Italy , Greece .

lustyd

Visit site
Can you exit at an EU port, sail out beyond the 12 mile limit and then enter at another port, better yet another country?
Not usually since you need to specify destination port when leaving and if it’s Schengen they don’t always let you check out.
A visa is the answer, you need to apply for each country as you travel. It’s a pain but it’s the system and always has been. We’re on the outside of it now but it’s a well trodden system by other nationalities.

Tranona

Visit site
Practically the only way is to sail the boat for 90 days then leave it in a marina for 90 days and then start again. However you will find that you can only make real progress if you start early in the season and get to Spain or Portugal and lay up for the winter and start again next spring. This assumes you are day sailing, but if you sail long legs it is possible to get into the Med (southern Span) comfortably in 90 days then following summer make Turkey saving you Schengen days by going along the N African coast as far as Tunisia.

dunedin

Visit site
Can you exit at an EU port, sail out beyond the 12 mile limit and then enter at another port, better yet another country?
No. Relevant for the boat if doing temporary import but not Schengen.

However the 90/180 Schengen rule issue is very widely known and documented on here. I wonder what the OP’s plan was when he embarked on this initiative, as I think many on here pointed out the many flaws in the plan pre-boat purchase.

PS Alternative - load 2 months provisions, check out of Schengen and sail non stop if really want to get to Greece

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I think you are going to have to leave the boat somewhere for 90 days then go back to it. With 90 days available to you if you push on you should be able to get to the Western Med by day sailing if you push it you could make home but it's a tough ask.

KevinT1

Visit site
Norway is not in the EU, but I don't know what other factors are involved.
However Norway is in the Schengen area which affects the OP’s 90 in 180 days.

There are 2 separate time limits : for individuals and for boats.

Depending on where VAT was paid then the boat may have 18 months in the EU.

The Cruising Association has some very good information on this.

jac

Visit site
Is it UK or EU VAT paid?

If UK (unlikely from your OP) the I would cross to the UK, move to the south west and then set off next spring with your full 90/180 intact. It if not UK Vat paid then you could face tax challenges from HMRC.

In which case IIRC your only choices are a visa or to spend you 90 days then leave the boat somewhere for 3 months before moving back. Once you get to Greece then you can Schengen shuffle from Greece to Turkey

TSailors

Visit site
Many thanks everyone ..I forgot to mention that I bought the boat in Norway , a 1986 32 footer ..the gentleman that owned the boat was Norwegian and he had the boat for many years . so I guess the boat has no vat issues in the EU.

yes leaving the boat on the hard in Norway seems to be the most logical thing. does anyone know of any decent and reasonably priced places to leave the boat near Kristiansand ?

Irish Rover

Visit site
Many thanks everyone ..I forgot to mention that I bought the boat in Norway , a 1986 32 footer ..the gentleman that owned the boat was Norwegian and he had the boat for many years . so I guess the boat has no vat issues in the EU.

yes leaving the boat on the hard in Norway seems to be the most logical thing. does anyone know of any decent and reasonably priced places to leave the boat near Kristiansand ?
As was pointed out earlier Norway is not a member of the EU, and is not part of the Customs Union, so you'll probably need to apply for Temporary Admission in the EU.

st599

Visit site
Not usually since you need to specify destination port when leaving and if it’s Schengen they don’t always let you check out.
A visa is the answer, you need to apply for each country as you travel. It’s a pain but it’s the system and always has been. We’re on the outside of it now but it’s a well trodden system by other nationalities.
Only Sweden and France have tourist visas available to UK citizens.
Cross to UK/Channel Is; winter; sail to Turkey?
If he's a UK resident, then VAT would be due then.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site

You need to establish it's VAT status with documents.

Gadget257

Visit site
Go as far as you can and lay up your boat, leave her as people not yachts count to Schengen time and go to the UK (or other non EU/Schengen country)and wait for your Schengen time to accrue again (90 days in a rolling 180). Probably not what you want but would be simplest.

ylop

Visit site
Assuming yacht storage is priced like most other things in Norway - the most efficient thing may be to have it put on a truck and moved south by road. If not all the way to Turkey then to somewhere you’ll not need loads of shengen days to bring it back by sea.