60/40?

Humblebee

Visit site
Oh, and just a reminder - if buying diesel on Mull, get the road diesel, it is cheaper than red. Road diesel is subsidised while red carries the full distribution costs.
That's interesting, I was in Tobermory last week and enquired at the garage if they sold red diesel. They sell gas oil, for agricultural vehicles but said the government had clamped down on them selling it to boaties. I didn't ask about the price of white diesel, looks like I should have.
Back to the OP - three weeks sailing in June colder that it usually is in April or September. Difficult getting ashore some days because of the wind and the sea it was kicking up.

yotter

Me Inverkip, boat Kip in winter, Craobh in summer
Visit site
That's interesting, I was in Tobermory last week and enquired at the garage if they sold red diesel. They sell gas oil, for agricultural vehicles but said the government had clamped down on them selling it to boaties. I didn't ask about the price of white diesel, looks like I should have.
Back to the OP - three weeks sailing in June colder that it usually is in April or September. Difficult getting ashore some days because of the wind and the sea it was kicking up.
We get our fuel at the large concrete pontoon, THA have sold it rather than the garage for a couple of years now.

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
Cold, windy, wet and miserable here in the Gareloch today. June was dire and July hasn’t got off to a good start. This is April weather we’re having FFS. Fired up the log burner at home . . in JULY!

lustyd

Visit site
Here forcourt £1:45 so would not even bother
It is different stuff though, the forecourt stuff doesn't store well according to suppliers so better getting it from a pontoon where it won't have the FAME in it

Daverw

Visit site
I’ve always used it with never any issues, even when left for months, only top tank up twice a year and keep around 60litres in tank

srm

Visit site
May be different but using EU road diesel in the Azores. Filled up tank at end of 2016 with anti bug additive. For various reasons boat did not leave the marina until I sold her last February. Engine run in gear every month or so for 20 to 30 minutes. Last Feb engine started first go and ran smoothly as usual with fuel circa 7 years old.
Winter air temps rarely below 10C and never below 5C, but tank built in to hull below waterline so fuel temp probably around 15C plus so possibly less risk of condensation in the tank than UK waters.

Aja

Visit site
Oh, and just a reminder - if buying diesel on Mull, get the road diesel, it is cheaper than red. Road diesel is subsidised while red carries the full distribution costs.
Ardfern is (only) £1.19/litre!

Bobc

Visit site
Not sure if that was 60/40, do they not have different tax rules? More importantly, its also an awful long way from Tobermory (or Ardfern for that matter).
No such thing over there. No tax and duty.

wonkywinch

Visit site
616 litres from Quayside Fuel at Weymouth. 92p a litre.

Always get it there if I can.

Good fuel, he supplies all the fishing boats, ferry and trip boats in the harbour, so a big turnover.
It sounds like you're being sold red diesel at fully rebated commercial rates which is illegal to use in pleasure craft so not an option for me.

Best I can do is ask for 60/40 and use my sails and heater a lot!

Lucky Duck

Visit site
That’s almost 20p a litre cheaper than the published price for commercial use at Cowes fuel barge so would still have been very competitive at 60/40

I paid around £1.30 at Portland two weeks back at berth holder rates

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Our boat holds 130 litres and I tend to refill when it's about a quarter full so not sure lugging 100 litres of diesel from petrol station to the boat is an easy task to save a couple of quid.
The trick is not to do it all at once. ;)

I have a 95 litre tank and only use white diesel, following a dose of the bug from a small marina.

With four 10 litre plastic jerry cans onboard, metal ones make too much noise and rust, I top up one or two cans as needed. A small trolley is now onboard to ease the journey back from the petrol station.

wonkywinch

Visit site
Of course I am. The supplier suggested I contact HMRC and pay the duty. I'm going to do that tomorrow. ;)
There are two sorts of people I learned not to mess with in life. Nightclub door staff and HMRC :LOL:

Oh, and Millwall fans.

I mentioned in another thread a mate got fined near on half a million quid by HMRC for a tax residency "misunderstanding". He thought he'd found the perfect wheeze until he ended up in court.