6' headroom?

bluedragon

Visit site
Hi All,

I posted this in the PBO forum, but I think that was the wrong one, so here goes again. If I've put it in the wrong place again, please feel free to use your best anglo-saxon in correcting me!

I'm starting to look around at small (preferably more than about 7.5m - 25') cruising yachts, with an eye to learning to sail. The ideal boat would be cheap and a good day boat, sails well, but capable of longer, more ambitious passages - even, potentially, ocean crossings. Something like a baby Sadler (probably the 25) would fit the bill very well, and there are even a few around for very good prices. My budget is fluid, but up to 10k is probably a good mark.

My question, in light of this, is this: what is the smallest (cheapest, second-hand) boat that has 1m85 (just over 6') headroom (or close to)?

For what it's worth, I realise I'm unlikely to satisfy the headroom requirement along with all the others - just curious...

Cheers - Adam...

Simple...Halcyon 27. Fits your needs and 6ft under the hatch.

Spyro

Visit site
At the risk of sounding lazy, what are you doing standing up so often inside a boat to make headroom important? Inside my boat I'm generally either sleeping or sitting so for a smaller boat I would tick all the other boxes before headroom and take it as a bonus if you end up with 6'

Dave

If you've ever suffered from back problems is not a good idea having headroom just a few inches shorter than you need. A permanent stoop is not good for the lower back. You find you can't get by staring at the floor so tend to bend your lower back to compensate.
Been there, done it, wouldn't do it again.

EuanMcKenzie

Visit site

adamthekiwi

Visit site
Thanks to everyone for all the information!

I've noticed a few Dufour Arpeges for around my budget. Does anyone know what they're like?

Cheers -Adam...

Tranona

Visit site
Good sailing but quirky layout and suffer from delaminating decks.

Always be suspicious of seemingly cheap boats - there is usually a reason!

Tranona

Visit site
We are discussing 30 year old boats which vary enormously in price - and where the price is largely dependent on condition - so no need to try to be smart!

Seajet

Visit site
AdamtheKiwi,

others here have hinted at it, but I do believe you're making a rod for your back trying to find a starter boat which will go on to be suitable for long trips.

I'd suggest get something handy at the right price, learn to sail and learn how you wish to sail, a lot of people have very different ideas of 'the best boat for the job' after a couple of years.

As others have also said, hard to go wrong with a Centaur, actually sails quite well once one knows how, and always easy to sell on, if you wish.

Also, re learning to sail, I take note of your back problem but how about a keelboat, or dinghy if possible ? A much better type to learn in; just a thought.

Other threads that may be of interest