3D Printer ideas

TonyBuckley

www.icloud.com
I am thinking of buying a 3d printer.

Why? No idea really, except I love tech and playing with stuff.

I'm also into Arduino so have a few ideas for boxes and stuff, but are there any ideas out there for boaty stuff? Maybe a mug holder design?

The makerfarm kits look great.

Any good sites more boaty oriented than thingiverse?

I realise I am looking for a solution to a problem I don't yet have!

prof pat pending

Visit site
stlfinder.com is also worth a look to see if the CAD has been generated before you start.Like all these sites, there's some good stuff and some complete tat.

I'm sure that you'll find out the hard way, most people do, but to save the suprise...
The weak point on parts from these style of printers is through the layers, if you want the part to have any mechanical performance orienate it on the machine so any loads are transferred along the layers rather than accross them.

What's your budget? There are some with built in scanners that can replicate items rather than you having to design them, there is also a machine that can lay continuous carbon fiber strand into the parts for added strength, but again the strength is X,Y and not so good in Z

johnalison

Visit site
I think that if I had one, I would amuse myself by trying to design model yachts and other craft. I could then have a hierarchy of testing procedures, starting with the bath.

prof pat pending

Visit site
Pretty much all of the home style machine use a plastic wire feed system.
the properties of the material varies a bit, you can get rigid and flexable material systems

I'd be rather surprised if someone bought a metals machine for a hobby

Bobc

Visit site
All the cheap home ones are rubbish, and none are any good without a) a decent 3D CAD tool, b) the ability to use said too well, and c) an understanding of how to design things in such a way that they can actually be made.

My advice? Save your money.

ShinyShoe

Visit site
I'm very much like you. Quite fancy one, no idea what for. Also quite fancy building my own and quite fancy building my own CNC router, and my own CNC Laser Engraver. None of which I have any use for!

You can send images for printing... which may be a a cheaper solution. But involves a wait... ...and I don't do waiting.

prof pat pending

Visit site
All the cheap home ones are rubbish, and none are any good without a) a decent 3D CAD tool, b) the ability to use said too well, and c) an understanding of how to design things in such a way that they can actually be made.

That's not strictly true....they're not as good as the industrial units, but then you wouldn't expect them to be.

Yes you'll make mistakes, have failed builds resulting in a birds nest of filament rather than a part and parts that don't perform as you expect, but they are usable if you are not expecting an injection moulded quality part out of it.

Basic CAD isn't that difficult to pick-up, Google scetchup does a reasonable job, but I would recommend trying that side of it first at see how you get on, if you can't get to grips with the CAD side a printer will not be much use to you

TonyBuckley

www.icloud.com

I disagree about home ones being rubbish having seen and touched them and seen the output. 3d design and knowing how to design is not a problem.

We'd still be using Mesolithic flint tools with that attitude.

TonyBuckley

www.icloud.com
What is the additive manufacturing feed material you will be using; plastic or metallic; powder or wire? what is the largest diameter you can produce?

Its basically all plastic; PLA or ABS - the latter shrinks more. Though even home kits now can cope with wood and metal feeds. All depends on the extruder and what it can cope with. Many of the printers are open source designs so parts may be swapped around. And yes, it is still a new tech but will change the world eventually.

mattnj

www.red-data.co.uk

What a load of tosh....
I have a cheapish home one and it's fantastic...use it regularly for bits and bobs at work....cant fault it.
Cad tool...start with tinkercad.com it's easy.

Last edited:

Bobc

Visit site
I disagree about home ones being rubbish having seen and touched them and seen the output. 3d design and knowing how to design is not a problem.

We'd still be using Mesolithic flint tools with that attitude.

It's not "attitude". It's a view from someone who's spent over 20 years working in the industry. Take it or leave it, it's up to you if you want to waste your money.

Sailingsaves

Visit site
See this thread:
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?425850-3D-printer&highlight=3D+printer

I know a lot of the links are the thing website, but I shortlisted a few boaty ones there.

There is a good tea towel holder there too.

I very carefully built a cheapo kit 3D printer and it is great. If you can design the product correctly, even these little printers do a great job.

It is very expensive to send away and have things made in comparison. Some places charge by volume of plastic used, some by volume of product...

I have repaired the rear windscreen wiper of my car with a 3D printed thing - saved about £30 or more from buying a motorfactors part.

I have made my own paddle wheel log for use in my dinghy connected to a cycle computer, so now I can measure speed though water as well as overground with my gps. (Oh, I made a holder for my gps too).

Made a switch surround for a boat switch.

Made guards for toggle switches.

Made accessories for my fake Go-Pro camera

Will be making mounts for my cheap drone. bought on Black Friday which has now turned into a Black Friday WEEK !

Once you have one, if you have the imagination and skill, you will be making all sorts and fixing lots of things.

Steepish learning curve with all the slicers and settings and different types of infills of what you are making depending upon strength of final desired product.

Oh, I made a great windvane for my Metz aerial. Saved a lot of money there.

Great fun, great tool, saves money too. Can even make you money if you are good and make things to sell.