32ft cruiser/racer, what would you buy to sail single handed?

kassita

Visit site
There was talk of good autopilots earlier. The brand used by serious ocean racers (including Classe Mini) is NKE - a gyro stabilised system where a lot of work has gone into the programming to allow it to keep high performance boats on their toes. It also uses a hydraulic ram to steer which is very powerful and can react very fast when needed. It's not cheap though - the whole package including the instruments could run over £10k. The advantage is that it could turn many boats into a great single hander. If you know you can absolutely rely on the auto-pilot then you can concentrate on setting the right amount of sail and getting your nav and weather planning sorted.

I agree that a reliable pilot is super important for solo racing, especially for long distances and downwind. B&G is the other brand frequently used. It's what most of the IMOCA60s have, and what I have.

I heard Nikki Curwen give a talk at RORC last week about her MiniTransat experience. She had a lot of trouble with both of her NKE pilots and then both of her tiller pilots (not so surprising giving the conditions). She has recently become a 'Brand Ambassador' for B&G, which is...interesting.

But before anyone accuses me of trying to sell B&G gear, I should say that I've heard just as many stories of problems with B&G pilots. Oh, and Raymarine ones as well. I've concluded that solo racers are very good and discovering the weaknesses of autopilots.

Javelin

www.Southwoldboatyard.co.uk
I kind of went the opposite route.
Buy an ex racer and cruiserise it.
Humphries 3/4 tonner, cheap as chips, fast, stiff and strong.
So my guess is 1/2 tonner would be even cheaper.
Then ditch the silly little 8hp engine by the mast and chuck in a 30hp Yanmar.
Add a 100 lt fuel tank instead of the 10lt one.
Swap the frac rig with runners for a Masthead Rig.
Fit out below to your own taste as there will be loads of space.
In my case you end up with a fast, comfortable boat for less than 25K.

bbg

Visit site
I agree that a reliable pilot is super important for solo racing, especially for long distances and downwind. B&G is the other brand frequently used. It's what most of the IMOCA60s have, and what I have.

I heard Nikki Curwen give a talk at RORC last week about her MiniTransat experience. She had a lot of trouble with both of her NKE pilots and then both of her tiller pilots (not so surprising giving the conditions). She has recently become a 'Brand Ambassador' for B&G, which is...interesting.

But before anyone accuses me of trying to sell B&G gear, I should say that I've heard just as many stories of problems with B&G pilots. Oh, and Raymarine ones as well. I've concluded that solo racers are very good and discovering the weaknesses of autopilots.

My experience of NKE was nothing but good. OK, one exception - see below. It is VERY power hungry, but if you are ready for that it is great. I had one day with perfect surfing conditions. Put the pilot on to make dinner and within 2 minutes we had a new max speed. So I steered for a few minutes until we got a new max speed then started on dinner again. New max speed by NKE. This happened two more times until we went over 17 knots and I gave up and just ate my yummy freeze-dried meal while Britney Steers.

It is amazing how "tweakable" the controls are.

Only negative for me was about 3 days out of Brazil when one of the control heads failed due to water ingress. If I had known the system better I would have just switched control to the other control head, but I just shut the system down and switched to a Raymarine SPX5. The difference in power consumption was an eye-opener.

If I were to do it again, I would use NKE electronics (and leave the hydraulic ram attached but not in use) and use them to drive an SPX5 or similar.

bignick

Visit site
Two more for your shortlist:
Elan 31 ("Kudos" was featured in PBO last year) - rates better than its successor the 310.
Dehler 33 - a friend has a 29 and that is a fantastic boat. Great rating and well behaved. The 33 looks even better.

Last edited:

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
Two more for your shortlist:
Elan 31 ("Kudos" was featured in PBO last year) - rates better than its successor the 310.
Dehler 33 - a friend has a 29 and that is a fantastic boat. Great rating and well behaved. The 33 looks even better.

Looks like there are two versions of the 33, a more cruise oriented one and the 33 Competition that has a taller rig. Shame that there does not appear to be many around because they do look good on paper as a performance cruiser although the interior is, er, a bit 80's which is a shame for a 90's boat and really puts me off.