32-34ft fast cruiser wanted - any suggestions?

tommfuller

Visit site
Hi folks,

Any advice on which boats to look at? I like the look of both the MG335 and the Sigma 33. What else should I be considering? I am looking for "middle aged" boats, probably upto 30k-ish.

Cheers,

Tom.

Aeolus_IV

Visit site
Before this breaks down into a "who's who" of 30 to 36 foot boats from 1970 to 1990 - what are your priorities in the boat? There are many aspects that a boat can have, some can be combined harmoniously, others cannot. What one thing must it have above all else?

Naturally I'd suggest a ...... no I will not, not just yet.

Jeff.

CPD

Visit site
Tom,
Your spec and budget was the same as mine. I have recently gone for a Beneteau First 345 and wasnt dissapointed.
Alan

flyingscampi

Visit site
Another vote for a Storm but that would be at the very top of your budget and will need some work.

Something you might want to consider in the 32 - 34ft bracket is that a lot of marinas have a tariff of 10.1m to 15m so the Storm (for example) sits right at the bottom of the higher tarriff and costs another £1500 a year.

tommfuller

Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback folks! Very helpful!

Priorities...well I suppose I'd sacrifice some comfort below for some sailing performance. I am happy to have more of a camping experience than a caravanning one if you see what I mean! So a shower etc. isn't vital, but a reasonable amount of space is. Would like to be able to sleep 4 in reasonable comfort.

I don't want to race, but I have a really low tolerance for making poor progress, slogging slowly to windward and so on.

Reasonable seakeeping abilities, I don't plan on leaving the British isles, West Coat mainly so the biggest thing might be a trip across the Minch.

Proper chart table. Easy to sail short handed.

That wasn't one thing was it!

Cheers,

Tom.

dt4134

Visit site
Also worth looking at a Dehler 31 or 34 from the late eighties.

They're weatherly & fast. There's a great video of some Dutchmen trying to break a Dehler 31 by ramming things with it.

(I mention the 31 even thought it's a foot below your limit as the accommodation is slightly more spacious than a Sigma 33.)

PIGLETSDREAM

Visit site
There is only the one that can provide you with what you want and that is a Fastnet 34. Fast and beautifully balanced. Loads of room. Safe in all weathers with a great feel. Hi ballast ratio and built with plenty in reserve. Don't go through life wishing, if only, get a Fastnet and you will be able to say, I am glad that I did.

Regards

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
Hanse 331, formerly the Finngulf 33.... good space, excellent sailor..... modernish.

Should be almost within reach......

DavidWilb

Visit site
Would give a good recommendation for MG335. When engaged on a similiar quest we settled on one and have not been disappointed - sails superb and fast, good accomodation, easy to sail shorthanded. Lived on board for 4 months on a trip to Baltic and she did all that was asked of her in all weathers. We are Gosport based if you want a close unhurried look.