30 footer for 30 grand

Flyboy

Visit site
Can anyone suggest a few boats for me to look at, within my budget. I am looking to buy a boat in the U.K, spend a bit of time giving her some TLC and sprucing her up, then on the epic journey to the med.

Jon.

<hr width=100% size=1>

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Re epic journey to the Med.
For your budget you are looking at a ten year old boat. The french canals sound dead boring and long. The Bay of Biscay sounds frightening. Get it trailored there...costs £3000 and you will still have a useful boat when you get there.
David
ps I will always say look at Sealine but thats just me.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Flyboy

Visit site
Doing a quick search I have found a Picton Spirit 3000 for 35k. Does anyone know if these are any good? Seems fairly spacious (8 berth possible). Only drawback is petrol engines, but Im not sure if i will be doing 100hrs a year or not, so I dont know if diesel will be more beneficial. I could always convert to LPG.

<hr width=100% size=1>

HowardB

Visit site
A boat that big is going to drink plenty so go for cheaper fuel.
Rule of thumb: Petrol engines at high criusing speed drink 6 gallons per 100 hp per hour. ie 2 x 150hp petrol drinks about 18 gallons per hour flat out (which granted you won't do for long)
Diesels drink about 4 gallons per hour per 100 hp flat out. More torque and slower revving. So 2 x 150 diesels drink 12 gallons of cheaper less explosive fuel.
Having had a Sealine 255 petrol (2x140hp) I won't consider petrol again. Now I have an S37 (2x230 diesel and much bigger) which is cheaper to run in UK waters. Price differential evens out a bit when you can't get red diesel in Mediteranian. Cant spell!

Howard

<hr width=100% size=1>

banus

Visit site
How do you get red diesel in the med? Thats a new one on me. As per previous posts petrol costs the same as diesel in Spain 50p a litre more or less. I think flyboy should go to the med and find a boat for 30 grand. Should do quite well this time of year. Lots of older boats with low hours needing TLC

<hr width=100% size=1>

HowardB

Visit site
Red diesel

No, that's what I mean. You can't get red diesel in the Med. Have to pay road prices, so diesel boats not much cheaper than petrol to run there, as the fuels cost roughly the same, which is cheaper than UK road prices.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Renegade_Master

Visit site
Re: Red diesel

20p litre Gib

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.suncoastmarine.co.uk>Sun Coast Sea School & Charter</A>

dustyjc

Visit site
30 foot for less than 30K. Heading for and going through the european canals on a budget. Suggest good option Seamaster 30. 6 berth in 3 cabins plus wheelhouse, 8+ knots for 2.5 GPH. 5 Knot River speed 0.6 GPH. Reliable well proven and easy to work on diesels with plentiful spares. I have already taken mine to France & Belgium. Try looking on Seamster Club Website

<hr width=100% size=1>