3 Blade Folding Props.

Marty

Visit site
I am considering fitting a 3 blade folding propeller to a 40' sail boat any comments or experience with the Gori 3 blade folder or the Flex O Fold 3 blade folder would be most useful.

G

I have a 3 bladed GORI prop on a HR36 (semi-long keel). Generally very happy, the over-drive gives nice relaxed cruiseing.
However, it may be the hull form but I have extreme prop-walk in astern. With the rudder centered full astern will just about turn the boat round in still water, makes going astern a bit of an aquired art.

G

Fitted a 2 blade flex-o-fold on my last boat, gave .4 of a knot more speed ahead compared to the knackered darglo prop. Flex-o-fold was pretty hopeless astern, bit like driving a vintage car, no brakes!

Thinking about a 2 blade gori for the new boat, cheaper than the flex-o-fold too.

I've seen a kiwi three bladed feathering prop with composite blades via boatbuilding.com Don't know anything about it though.

brianhumber

Visit site
Bought a 3 blade Gori several years ago for my Baraccuda. Can't sing its praises high enough, well worth every penny (sorry cent). Seriously it transformed the handling, increased cruising speed, reduced revs and fuel consumption. No troubles with prop walk but then my prop is miles from the rudders so I do not turn unless I have water flow pass the rudder blades. I have been told the original designer has set up a new prop business in Sweden but cannot give you a name for this new company.

HaraldS

www.taniwani.eu
I have a 3-bladed flex-o-fold on my boat. No complaints.
In more detail:
Boat is a 49 ft Najad with close to 20 tons and a 100HP Yanmar engine.
Full throttle ahead she does 9.1 knots on the GPS and engine revs are 3500, which is slightly below the spec.
I usually run it at 2200RPM and get abot 7 knots.
When sailing it folds nicely as soon as put it in gear.
Manuvering is no problem either.
From standing still into reverse I can go with quite low power and after a moment of slight walk to port she starts to take off nicely.
The only negative thing I have noticed is, that when to go reverse while making good progress forward, you need to rev it up quite a bit before it bites.
Still I can stop the boat in a length and a half from 7 knots forward.
One other little snag is that when motorsailing, you need to give the engine enough power for the prop to start pushing, otherwise it oscilates undecided about folding or opening.

I'd take it again. But I have no comparison to another prop on this boat.