25/26' Bilge Keelers

jwood

Visit site
25/26\' Bilge Keelers

I'm looking to buy a 25 or 26 foot bilge keeler to sail on the south coast and as this will represent a step up in size for me, I would appreciate any comments from more experienced hands as to makes with a good track record. The two I would be keen to know a little more about initially would be the PEGASUS 800 and the COBRA 750, both of which have caught my eye. A degree of comfort (6' headroom, or thereabouts, and plenty of room below to keep the better half happy) would be a big selling point. Thanks in advance for any opinions! <span style="color:red"> </span>

RedAdmiral

Visit site
Re: 25/26\' Bilge Keelers

If comfort and space are priorities then you can do no better than a Newbridge Pioneer. They are strongly built, probably younger than those you mentioned at a similar price and usually with decent engines. They were designed by Bill Dixon who also designed most of the modern Moodys. I've had one now for eight years and, no, I'm not trying to sell it!! It has done all I've wanted,firstly sailing from Skye off the west coast of Scotland and now mud plugging around the Thames Estuary.

jwood

Visit site

I'd like to keep the budget to below £10k if possible. Would also prefer inboard diesel.

Refueler

Visit site

Colvic 26
Sunrider 25
Searider 24 / 25 (same hull as Sunrider)
Westerly Centaur
Westerly Griffon - but price is higher
Snapdragon 26 / 27
Macwester 26 / 27

There's loads and many are 10K or lower if you really push at the seller. TBH - many are over priced particular given todays credit market.

The above list I put is just a few I can name of top of head.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk

There is no substitute for getting out there & tramping around the yards. You will find that you don't like some of your chosen boats when you actually see them in the flesh & you will see some that you had never considered that are ideal.

Take your "chosen list" to a few brokers & see what alternatives they have on their books. People often buy something completely different from what their original requirements suggest.

Scillypete

www.peteandspamgosailing.blogspot.com

We recently looked at many of those on the list mentioned and had the same budget, most looked tired and in need of plenty of refurbishment some more than others. In the end we got a Hunter Horizon 273 within our budget although the asking was well outside, its definitely a good time to buy and think in the region of 30% below whatever is being asked as a more realistic price.
Happy hunting

Refueler

Visit site

Other of course is to look at web-sites like 'Boatshed' where that have loads of photos for each boat ... search facility that is pretty comprehensive. Wouldn't take long to narrow down possibles and non-possibles.

Let the keyboard do the walking !

ebbtide

N/A
Visit site

I once had a Seawolf 30 and brought home the chocolates in club races many times - people wouldn't believe it wasn't a fin! Then we had designer David Feltham give us a lecture . . . most of it went over our heads but his obsession with optimising twin keels was quite obvious. Accordingly I suggest the Seawolf 26 be added to your shortlist.
But don't hide from the basic fact that bilge-keelers go sideways; and the more heavy ('solidly built'), ugly ('good headroom') and under-canvassed ('easily manageable') they are then the worse they sail.
If that matters then you'd better use the Portsmouth Yardstick Table as a buying guide! Also useful are reprints of magazine reviews and archives like www.yachtsnetet.co.uk.

bendyone

Visit site

You might get a Hunter 26 in your budget. More of a modern interior than some of the older boats. Plus they sail well for a twin keeler.

tangomoon

Visit site

There are a good few Cobra 750 on the market at below your price, which could be bought and, as with anything, you could spend £2.5Kish and have new standing/running rigging and a whole load of stuff to give yourself a fully kitted seaworthy boat.

Approach anything with caution as always!

They're a lighter boat than most mentioned on here and decribed as a cruiser/racer.

Headroom 5' 8 ish but how often do you walk around below.

http://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/archives.htm

I found them very stable - they have good stance on their encapsulated keels. When heeled the lower keel is well positioned.

Reefing - we have only reefed the main due to burying in waves not because the boat requires it - jib/genoa on furling as necessary

There were some fitted out by owners, chart table in excellent position starboard side.

Small cockpit, they say 5-berth but more than 3 would be a little tetchy.

Good storage in port cockpit locker takes 8 fenders, 2.5 outboard, paddles, 5-gallon drum diesel stood upright, 4 x 1 gallon containers diesel, gallon oil container, 5 litres fuel for outboard, boat-hook, 5 warps, wash-boards, buckets, fishing rod and still some room - emptying gives you another knot. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nowhere for the inflatable unless you slide it into the navigator's bunk out of the way.

Hope that helps

BOL

Scillypete

www.peteandspamgosailing.blogspot.com

I viewed that one back in November, it needs a bit of TLC and has a few leaks but otherwise not bad and the owner is open to offers apparently, if we hadn't got the 273 for the price we did then this one was next on the list and I would have offered around 7k for it maybe less to begin with and I got the impression from the broker that it would have been accepted.