20€ berthing fee at Sivota Mourtos town quay

AndrewB

Visit site
Still free on the town quay in nearby Frikes last night.

We went there after finding Sivota jamb packed full. So much for the deterrent effect of any charges.

(But there were TWO flotilla fleets in Port Leone the previous night. I've never seen them there before, owing, if nothing else, to the total absence of tavernas. Charter companies trying to save the odd bob on moorings perhaps?)

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Still free on the town quay in nearby Frikes last night.

We went there after finding Sivota jamb packed full. So much for the deterrent effect of any charges.

(But there were TWO flotilla fleets in Port Leone the previous night. I've never seen them there before, owing, if nothing else, to the total absence of tavernas. Charter companies trying to save the odd bob on moorings perhaps?)

Andrew There no charge at sivota , if they did that I think it kill the place off , just like it would kill off Frikes if they started to charge there .other then the restaurant there nothing there , you can't even walk out of the place without walking over that steep hill ,
Once and I am going back. Alots of year ,we loved the place , a good and safe bay , now it just a sheep den , the quay is taken up up the restaurant pontoon , four now which mean unless you want to eat in there places you can't use them ,
the little boat Rental now taken up another part of the quay , as most know there a large chain that been left being in another part of the bay and if you happen to get caught on it , there no way of getting off other then a diver a cost of 100 euros at less ,
yannis who owns one of the taverna , is one of the rudes loud mouth guy anyone would want to meet , bad enough he wouldn't let anyone moor out side his taverna unless it was a fleet of charters , now his pontoon have has taken up more room . I don't think there ever been a time when we not heard him shouting out some one .
So personally I give the place a miss , we only ever go there now if a good friend who love the place ( yes you Neil) happen to be there .
As for port Leone , it's a anchorage charter boat have used for a long time now , they tend to have BBQ there , althought I wish there would clean up there bloody mess after they leave paper plates and cups every where ,
Ok I know I have a bee in my bonnet about charter company's , but it's not for nothing , there so many now they have taken over many quays , stamped prices up , some not all leave a mess where every they go and the nosie pollution can at times be worst then the music out of some bars ,
now they made thing a lot worst as they gone into charting Cats .
Why do you think these free harbours are now charging these fees , it's not the private boats that cause the problem .
6/8 people on a boat , what 20 euros between them 6/8 and these charges will continue to go up , I lay money on it ,
until the bubble burst .
And it only seen to be in Greece there these problems ,
there charters else where in the Med and the problems as no where as bad .
I counted two more charter company that spring up from last year .

Last edited:

Newboy6458

Visit site
Hi Guys.
Thanks for the comments and info.
For Andrew, the Sivota I first posted on was on the mainland n of Parga, Sivota Mourtos.
The port police lady was sympathetic, but hands tied. In my indignation and innocence I did leave a written compyabout the guy collecting fees with no ID. So far the only place we've been charged.
cheers ��
Phil

AndrewB

Visit site
Hi Guys.
Thanks for the comments and info.
For Andrew, the Sivota I first posted on was on the mainland n of Parga, Sivota Mourtos.
The port police lady was sympathetic, but hands tied. In my indignation and innocence I did leave a written compyabout the guy collecting fees with no ID. So far the only place we've been charged.
cheers ��
Phil
Apologies, I regularly get confused between the two. We were headed to Sivota Mourtos from Gouvia last week, but a wind-shift sent us to Lakka Bay instead. Just as well, by the sound of it.

(Thanks also Sailaboutvic, for the information above).

Newboy6458

Visit site
No probs Andrew, merely clarification, certainly no criticism intended.
Lakka was on our to do list but with only one week available didn't happen this time.
Having followed this particular forum, with a bit of envy as my wife is still tied to the day job, I just wanted to put some info back in.
ATB guys
Phil

ccscott49

Visit site
Heaps of places to anchor around Sivota Mourtos, but leccy and water is available on the town quay, I don't eat there, as I haven't found a decent restaurant yet and I have persevered! I never tie up to the town quay, as it always seems to be bumpy!

Tranona

Visit site
Col, the Bamboo Palace is pretty good for cocktails, to watch the amazing sunsets, and George's is probably the best restaurant in town.

agree with Bamboo Palace. Is the restaurant on the eastern end of the main strip (forget its name) still going?

Pasarell

Visit site
I'm in Gaios, Paxos, at the moment. In a moment of madness moored on the town quay rather than anchor and lines ashore outside as I normally do because I have guests with me. Charge was 27euros for the night! Collected by a serious looking lady dressed as though she is in the UK Borderforce. The most unpleasant night I've had this year with loud noise all night. Food is poor and overpriced in the restaurants I've tried as well.
Certainly won't be back on the quay again even though it is a good stop off point on the way to and from Corfu.
Leaving with no regrets in the next 30 minutes

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I'm in Gaios, Paxos, at the moment. In a moment of madness moored on the town quay rather than anchor and lines ashore outside as I normally do because I have guests with me. Charge was 27euros for the night! Collected by a serious looking lady dressed as though she is in the UK Borderforce. The most unpleasant night I've had this year with loud noise all night. Food is poor and overpriced in the restaurants I've tried as well.
Certainly won't be back on the quay again even though it is a good stop off point on the way to and from Corfu.
Leaving with no regrets in the next 30 minutes

We May be heading west later this year but if I was to stay in Greece Gaios is one place I won't be visiting again .
One of the biggest new rip off harbour charges in Greece .
I have to laugh when I read here , that these charges are good valve .
More money then sence come to mind .

AndrewB

Visit site
Ah, the Galaxidi "Harbour Master". Must be relatively early in the day as he's still upright.....
The Galaxidi Harbour Master has gone! I asked the new port authority lady about him - "We discovered someone had been taking money off visiting yachts, he's gone now". Discovered, my a**e, he's been an established feature for several years, tolerated by locals and port police alike. My guess is they just had too many complaints. Wonder what became of him?

JanZ

Visit site
Not just Mourtos making an increased charge. We are in Sagiada, a tiny harbour with very few facilities and have just been charged 20€ for one night. The port police here are very pleasant and are embarassed to make the charge, agreeing that the more that is charged for mooring the less will be spent in the local cafes and tavernas.

Jan

Last edited:

jordanbasset

Visit site
Not just Mourtos making an increased charge. We are in Sagiada, a tiny harbour with very few facilities and have just been charged 20€ for one night. The port police here are very pleasant and are embarassed to make the charge, agreeing that the more that is charged for mooring the less will be spent in the local cafes and tavernas.

Jan

Liked that harbour, quiet and peaceful, often a nice breeze and a good place to be when it is very hot, able to swim off the other side of the breakwater. Couple of tavernas around it, but we liked the restaurant about 20 minutes up the hill. Entrance was a little shallow at 2 metres but more depth when inside.
20 euros is a lot for it though, were you charged for 2 days or was that just one day?

Last edited:

TonyMS

www.montgomery-smith.org
We spent a night in Sayiadha about a week ago without charge, so the change must be very recent. I'm told Platería now charge 20 or more, which crosses it off my list. Also told that, following protests from tavernas, there is no charge for charterers.
May visit Sayiadha tomorrow - we'll see!

TonyMS

JanZ

Visit site
The lady in the port police office showed me the list of charges and the calculations for working out the costs. Officially the charges are for one night BUT she said she would turn a blind eye to the second night on this occasion. Incidentally, on Sunday night there was some kind of fish festival, whereby around 400 people- all comers, us included, were served with a grilled Snapper and bread completely free and enjoyed a live band playing until only 3 a.m.

Makes me remember one of the reasons why we came to Greece in the first place- the incredible friendliness and hospitality of the vast majority of Greek people.

Btw I reckon the harbour entrance is 2.3mtrs rather than 2m, watching the sounder closely on both way in and way out!

Jan

Last edited: