20€ berthing fee at Sivota Mourtos town quay

Newboy6458

Visit site
Back in Greece on a weeks charter in North Ionian with family and friends.
Motored down from Corfu and tied up on town quay and immediately hit for 20€ fee for overnight berthing. I've never ever been charged on a town quay in this area before. No other facilities provided for the money. Is this the new norm?
Deeply unimpressed.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Get use to it , I been predicted this for the last few year , as I poster. The our day charge is now being make in the small quay in pertiri , other then a few restaurants there noting there
Another year or so there be hardly no harbour that's not charging 20 plus euros a night or in some case having to pay two days for one night .
You can only blame it on the charters who kept saying they should charge a little except the little never stays little ,
but even they have started to moan now .

Last edited:

jordanbasset

Visit site
When we were there last year if you went onto the wall farthest from the town you were charged 10 euros but that included water and electricity, port police never came around.
People were being charged on the main quay by the port police, do not know how much it was then
Plenty of places to anchor off for free of course there

sailaboutvic

Visit site
When we were there last year if you went onto the wall farthest from the town you were charged 10 euros but that included water and electricity, port police never came around.
People were being charged on the main quay by the port police, do not know how much it was then
Plenty of places to anchor off for free of course there
New report on the Med site someone got charge 16 euros in Vathy I know you reported you was there and didn't get charge early this year , soon You and Cathy will have to anchor and forget the luxury of harbour , if you can call a wall with no water or power luxury :)we be there to day but there be no harbour walls for us , we love the luxury being on our hook ,

Flica

Visit site
New norm - you could demand official authorisation of the person collecting it - @ that level of charge I suspect it is a local entrepreneur.
At Linarias in Skyros it was about €7.60/night, including water, shorepower, lazy-lines and assistance in tieing up, earlier this year.
Charges will be more prevalent in the Ionian than Aegean and collection will usually not be by Port Police, but by a local contractor.

dslittle

Visit site
Back in Greece on a weeks charter in North Ionian with family and friends.
Motored down from Corfu and tied up on town quay and immediately hit for 20€ fee for overnight berthing. I've never ever been charged on a town quay in this area before. No other facilities provided for the money. Is this the new norm?
Deeply unimpressed.
A number of years ago we were asked for money in Platerias by an authoritarian German lady. Olga intervened on our behalf (we were outside her restaurant) but it was a sign of things to come as 'harbour dues' were being delegated to 'local authorities'. Last I heard, Olga had been made Mayor so she would be the ideal person to consult re current charging protocols...
As an aside, I have no personal problem paying if I want to be attached to a town quay. My main issue is the legality of the collector - it was historically well known that a chancer took money unofficially in Gaios. I always said that I was going to the Port Police and would pay there.

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
A number of years ago we were asked for money in Platerias by an authoritarian German lady. Olga intervened on our behalf (we were outside her restaurant) but it was a sign of things to come as 'harbour dues' were being delegated to 'local authorities'. Last I heard, Olga had been made Mayor so she would be the ideal person to consult re current charging protocols...
As an aside, I have no personal problem paying if I want to be attached to a town quay. My main issue is the legality of the collector - it was historically well known that a chancer took money unofficially in Gaios. I always said that I was going to the Port Police and would pay there.

I am so glad your happy to pay tied onto a quay , we see what you say when it's 30 or 40 euros a night .
I see many who use to say what you said when they was charging 5 euros a night seen to have disappeared or not making comments now .
Some of these harbour where charges are being made have nothing , , the odd shop and a restaurant or two , the harbour will totally died and the locals business will die with it .
Mortus business get at less half its income from yacht , if you take away nealson base and the few local appartment all that left is the local and there not going to be buying ice cream and eat out every night , or buy brig and brac

Last edited:

dslittle

Visit site
I am so glad your happy to pay tied onto a quay , we see what you say when it's 30 or 40 euros a night .
I see many who use to say what you said when they was charging 5 euros a night seen to have disappeared or not making comments now .
Some of these harbour where charges are being made have nothing , , the odd shop and a restaurant or two , the harbour will totally died and the locals business will die with it .
Mortus business get at less half its income from yacht , if you take away nealson base and the few local appartment all that left is the local and there not going to be buying ice cream and eat out every night , or buy brig and brac

Which is kind of my point. I appreciate that they are not Marinas and I appreciate that I can anchor off for free (at the moment!!!) but for the convenience of just stepping off my boat, I don't mind paying a nominal charge. If I don't do it, others will. I DO object to unofficial people taking money AND exorbitant fees for nothing but then I can always vote with my keel/anchor...

Flica

Visit site
The Greeks who collect the cash are uniformly amarine, so anchoring off is almost as good protection as garlic and a cross (I leave out the stake thro' the heart).
In fact anyone who tries to charge one, lying to your own anchor is in breach of IMO rules.
As I proved to a young man off Trogir!!

It's an excellent sport to set local tradespeople onto the "collectors". Usually the collectors sheer off, without charging.

Flica

Visit site
There are plenty of places where you will be charged for anchoring in Croatia, no matter what the IMO says. It's in the Croatian Government rules, which is all that counts. :(

Richard
And even more places where, unless you pick up a mooring, you do not have to.

Flica

Visit site
I totally agree ..... but then I wasn't the one who said "In fact anyone who tries to charge one, lying to your own anchor is in breach of IMO rules. As I proved to a young man off Trogir!!" :)

Richard

Silly man - you just move outside the designated port area!!

Flica

Visit site
What are you talking about Flica? Have you ever actually sailed in Croatia? You keyboard sailors are all the same .... :rolleyes:

Richard

I sailed the Western Approaches, before I retired in 2000, mostly single-handed, took part in ISORA

I have spent the last 17 years in the Mediterranean, saling between 1200 and 2300 nm ever year.
I spent two years in Croatia, out of a total of 5 years in the Adriatic.

I suspect I have many more miles under my keel and more sea-time than you have.

As I said "silly boy"

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I sailed the Western Approaches, before I retired in 2000, mostly single-handed, took part in ISORA

I have spent the last 17 years in the Mediterranean, saling between 1200 and 2300 nm ever year.

As I said "silly boy"

I think you find richard have done his fair share of sailing .

RichardS

N/A
Visit site

As I said "silly boy"

Great.

Now why not surprise us all by explaining what anything you have posted since your post #10 has got any relevance whatsoever to "In fact anyone who tries to charge one, lying to your own anchor, is in breach of IMO rules"

Now who's a "silly boy"? :encouragement:

Richard