12v tv for boat

Spyro

Visit site
Been looking for a while to replace my TV as the existing one has a mark on the screen. The old one was the type with a12v dc transformer outputting 12v dc so I just cut that off and wired the plug up to the boat's 12v supply. It's worked fine for years.
I was looking at one today with a 12v transformer outputting 12v dc but the plug that goes into the tv had 4 pins on it. Anyone know what the extra 2 would be for?
Anyone used this type the way I hope to?

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
I've had a few things with plugs that sound like that, and they were all pairs of 12V and 0V, presumably to get less Amps per pin.

That is not to say that that is what you're seeing, but I'd buy it and then put a meter on it if in your position.

davidpbo

Boatless in Cheshire. Formerly 23ft Jeanneau Tonic
myweb.tiscali.co.uk
It hard to say whether the additional pins are doing anything, they may be redundant or may providing voltage sensing or some other function.

Is a TV from a caravan or truck shop not an option? (Check voltage for truck ones as they may be 24V).

Loads of 12V TVs available if you type in 12 Volt TV to a search engine. Check current consumption though.

Last edited:

Spyro

Visit site
It hard to say whether the additional pins are doing anything, they may be redundant or may providing voltage sensing or some other function.

Is a TV from a caravan or truck shop not an option? (Check voltage for truck ones as they may be 24V).

Loads of 12V TVs available if you type in 12 Volt TV to a search engine. Check current consumption though.
Yes but have you seen the price of them? I want to buy second hand just in case it goes bang.

Spyro

Visit site
Thanks for the replies but problem now sorted, Just bought one tonight on Gumtree, 16 inch widescreen with dvd player and the same 12v set up as my old one. Cheap as chips.

maxi77

Visit site
Try Avtex. http://www.avtex.co.uk. not the cheapest but designed to run of 12v systens directly. Good quality screens with a wide viewing angle. We used to use cheap tvs but have been delighted with the Avtex. They are very popular in caravans and motorhomes.

yotter

Me Inverkip, boat Kip in winter, Craobh in summer
Visit site
Been looking for a while to replace my TV as the existing one has a mark on the screen. The old one was the type with a12v dc transformer outputting 12v dc so I just cut that off and wired the plug up to the boat's 12v supply. It's worked fine for years.
I was looking at one today with a 12v transformer outputting 12v dc but the plug that goes into the tv had 4 pins on it. Anyone know what the extra 2 would be for?
Anyone used this type the way I hope to?

I bit of advice if supplying a 12V TV from a boats supply. When your alternator or smart battery charger are running, voltages may be 14.5 volts or perhaps higher. I believe this caused my first Cello 12V TV to fail, fortunately new circuit boards were obtained from the manufacturer for a small sum . A wee insurance police is now to use a 12V regulated supply box, around £25. An inverter is another option for a 240V telly but power hungry at sea.
Best Regards
Angus

Richard10002

Visit site
If you are going to buy a regulated supply, you can get them to supply varied voltages which can suit some off the shelf 240v tvs. I have a Samsung 22" running if 15V, and an LG 24" running off 19V. Both bought from Currys. Just check the backs to see what goes in. If it's a single pin type socket it's usually DC.

Spyro

Visit site
I bit of advice if supplying a 12V TV from a boats supply. When your alternator or smart battery charger are running, voltages may be 14.5 volts or perhaps higher. I believe this caused my first Cello 12V TV to fail, fortunately new circuit boards were obtained from the manufacturer for a small sum . A wee insurance police is now to use a 12V regulated supply box, around £25. An inverter is another option for a 240V telly but power hungry at sea.
Best Regards

Angus

The TV cost me £20 Not bad for 16" wide screen with freeview. last one I bought was £25 and worked fine on mains and off batteries with or without the engine running. I only needed to replace it because of the scratched screen. It's worth taking the risk but thanks for the advice.

maxi77

Visit site
If you are going to buy a regulated supply, you can get them to supply varied voltages which can suit some off the shelf 240v tvs. I have a Samsung 22" running if 15V, and an LG 24" running off 19V. Both bought from Currys. Just check the backs to see what goes in. If it's a single pin type socket it's usually DC.

Thats the point of the Avtex, they are designed to run of boat/RV electrics so can cope with the higher voltages. I have seen some reports on the reliability of Cello and Avtex is better. After straining at cheap sets because I couldn't sit at 90 degrees to the screen.

Richard10002

Visit site
Thats the point of the Avtex, they are designed to run of boat/RV electrics so can cope with the higher voltages. I have seen some reports on the reliability of Cello and Avtex is better. After straining at cheap sets because I couldn't sit at 90 degrees to the screen.

I wasnt disagreeing that the Cello and the Avtex do the job very effectively but, when I was looking for a TV, I wasnt prepared to pay their prices. In addition, whilst things might have changed, they didnt have the smart features that I get with the Samsung and the LG - wifi connectivity and catchup TV amongst other things.

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
Thats the point of the Avtex, they are designed to run of boat/RV electrics so can cope with the higher voltages.

but 12v leisure-specific TVs cope with the variable voltage by using a DC/DC regulator just like everything else, in the case of Avtex perhaps it's built-in rather than external. But that's not in any way different in practice from getting an ordinary TV and using an external DC/DC regulator to step up the voltage to say 15 or 19v. (assuming it's the type with an external psu anyway). The only difference there (or, indeed, in going full out for an inverter) is the potential power loss from stepping up the voltage, and with good kit that's not so much of an issue nowadays either.

TO the OP, I would cetainly protect the new gumtree telly with a DC/DC regulator, just because the old one coped with the 'raw' power connection doesn't mean any other one will.

Last edited: