12v LED Cabin Light (switched)

langstonelayabout

Visit site
Like many here I'm doing a little modernisation and want to fit some low power LED lights to replace the old incandescent cabin lights. A light with a switch. What could be so difficult. Or expensive?

I always liked those rotating 'bar' types you see in the Beneteau yachts in charter fleets. I can't find them anywhere.

Has anyone found a decent place to buy low prices, switched LED light fittings that are suitable to replace surface mounted old cabin lights? If so, please share your source. I'll be pleased, the vendor will be too and I'm sure many others within this esteemed forum will be interested as well...

Many thanks in advance

reeac

Visit site
I have just changed all our Sadler 29 cabin lights to but I retained the original lamps which had surface mounted circular moulded Perspex lenses which you rotate to switch on and off and simply replaced the incandescent festoon bulbs with LED equivalents. What I particularly liked was that the festoon type LEDs featured the traditional festoon cylinder and end cap contacts but had a square board which had 6 or 9 surface mounted LEDs which all faced the same way so that all the light shines out through the Perspex moulding ... very efficient compared with the incandescent bulbs. Bought them from Boatlamps.

Murv

Visit site
I searched around for years, and eventually out of nowhere found this supplier.
HMS Marine Supplies http://hmsmarinesupplies.com/Lighting/12v-LEDs

I was pleased with their range and reasonable prices, so I bought all my lights from them.

I can recommend them, I've been very pleased with my purchase.

Thanks for posting that link, I've also spent ages searching for reasonable light fittings that don't cost 3 figures per unit, they look ideal.

sailorman

Visit site
Like many here I'm doing a little modernisation and want to fit some low power LED lights to replace the old incandescent cabin lights. A light with a switch. What could be so difficult. Or expensive?

I always liked those rotating 'bar' types you see in the Beneteau yachts in charter fleets. I can't find them anywhere.

Has anyone found a decent place to buy low prices, switched LED light fittings that are suitable to replace surface mounted old cabin lights? If so, please share your source. I'll be pleased, the vendor will be too and I'm sure many others within this esteemed forum will be interested as well...

Many thanks in advance

Why not just change the bulbs in the existing fittings