12 month visa for Portugal

voyager35

Visit site
I have just been granted a 12 month temporary stay multi visit visa.
I applied for an E6 visa showing independent financial means and accommodation on the boat with a marina contract. However when I attended my interview in Edinburgh there seemed to be some confusion about whether this was the correct category.
What might have put me in a strong position for this is that my boat is storm damaged and needs significant amounts of money being spent in the local economy.
The prosses took me about three months

voyager35

Visit site
Well done getting the visa but, what if any limitations are there, as you say multi-visit. Does it limit you to 90 days each visit or can you be here for longer stays? Sorry to hear about the boat, where will it be located for repairs?
I can stay for 365 days but unlike some visa that limit the number of visits I can travel freely
The boat is in Terceira Azors

greeny

Visit site
Interesting but what is the tax liability with this visa? Are you considered tax resident if you stay more than 6 months in the year? Or is it listed that there is exemption from this?

greeny

Visit site
You have to be careful in Portugal (and many other places I'm sure). What at first looks like the solution to every ones residence needs, often has hidden requirements that don't become apparent until later.

Star-Lord

Visit site
This sounds like it could be trouble. Mayke sure you have a TL2 lol. If a mistake has been made (with the type of visa etc issued) it will not help you if officialdom in Portugal decides you were not actually entitled to the visa issued. Never heard of this type of visa before. But I do know a few EU countries have been talking about 180 day stays as opposed to 90 day stays. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
I have just been granted a 12 month temporary stay multi visit visa.
I applied for an E6 visa showing independent financial means and accommodation on the boat with a marina contract. However when I attended my interview in Edinburgh there seemed to be some confusion about whether this was the correct category.
What might have put me in a strong position for this is that my boat is storm damaged and needs significant amounts of money being spent in the local economy.
The prosses took me about three months

Sounds like you dont actually qualify for an E6

• E6 - Temporary Stay Visa for more of 3 months stay; Participation in study programs, study exchange, unpaid professional internship, voluntary service: (download)

Information on Visas

but perhaps they considered your boat work as "unpaid professional internship" or "voluntary service" ;)

One of these ...

1705510270223.png
Type of Visa

Althought the year long VISA is for Portugal, mulit-visit means multiple entries/exits allowed to other Schengen countries. Allows for multiple entries into the Schengen Area, with each stay not exceeding 90 days within any 180-day period. Can be issued with a validity of 1, 3, and 5 years, or shorter, as per the decision of the embassy or consulate.

greeny

Visit site
E6 visa has recently (last year) had added the following category - For retired people who are living from own income. It only lasts a year then you have to re apply for the next year. Friends of mine got it and the indication they were given was that they shouldn't have a problem getting it for the following years.
VFS define it as 'Temporary stay (less than 1 year) for retired people or people living out from personal revenue (including remote work) – E6 Visa (exceptional situations)'

voyager35

Visit site
E6 visa has recently (last year) had added the following category - For retired people who are living from own income. It only lasts a year then you have to re apply for the next year. Friends of mine got it and the indication they were given was that they shouldn't have a problem getting it for the following years.
VFS define it as 'Temporary stay (less than 1 year) for retired people or people living out from personal revenue (including remote work) – E6 Visa (exceptional situations)'
Thats what I applied for, but when I got the passport back with the visa in it there was no terms and conditions for its use. I am currently trying to clarify what it covers.
I am not worried by the 180 day tax implications as I will not be exceeding that but all my time in Portugal will be before September

greeny

Visit site
Thats what I applied for, but when I got the passport back with the visa in it there was no terms and conditions for its use. I am currently trying to clarify what it covers.
I am not worried by the 180 day tax implications as I will not be exceeding that but all my time in Portugal will be before September
Friends of mine that have it say they have multiple entry exit, no time constraints. Only lasts a year though then have to re apply. They got it under the "retirees living off own revenue" category.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
So would any time spent in portugal not be counted towards your schengen 90days?
Schengen rules are suspended in Portugal for the length of the visa, but still apply for the rest of the Schengen area.

The different type of Schengen visas : which one do I need ?

4. Type D Schengen visa or national long-stay visa

The national visa is the type D long-stay Schengen visa. It is mandatory for any foreigner wishing to study, work or live in a Schengen country for longer than 90 days (up to 1 year). It allows its holder to travel and stay in the Schengen area outside of the originally chosen Schengen country for periods of 90 days maximum over 180 days and during the entire validity period of their visa.
The travel purposes which can justify applying for a category D visa are:

• tourism or private visits
  • professional activities
  • to study, to take part in a training program or complete an internship
  • family reasons
The national visa or type D visa is issued by the consular authorities of the intended Schengen country in accordance with national legislation. Therefore it is necessary to contact the services of the country to know the different conditions and formalities that need to be met. Under certain conditions it can be granted as either a single or a multiple-entry Long-stay visa.

srm

Visit site
I can stay for 365 days but unlike some visa that limit the number of visits I can travel freely
The boat is in Terceira Azors
Just a gentle word of warning.
If the boat will be in Terceira and or Portugal for more than 6 months in the year you will need to pay "Imposto Unico de Circulacao" (engine tax) unless your engine size is under the threshold. Alfandega (customs) carry out an audit of foreign yachts in Terceira every spring to check it has been paid. You can pay at the Financias office in Angra or Praia, though just discovered that Praia office now only accept payments on Tuesdays and Thursdays - I went to pay mine yesterday - Friday! You should also pay "Taxa de Farolagem", (light dues) at the Port Office in Cabo da Praia, though this is inspected by Policia Maritima and its a few years since they last did a full inspection of foreign boats - I got caught that time so now pay 10 euro each year for local waters only.

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Just a gentle word of warning.
If the boat will be in Terceira and or Portugal for more than 6 months in the year you will need to pay "Imposto Unico de Circulacao" (engine tax) unless your engine size is under the threshold. Alfandega (customs) carry out an audit of foreign yachts in Terceira every spring to check it has been paid. You can pay at the Financias office in Angra or Praia, though just discovered that Praia office now only accept payments on Tuesdays and Thursdays - I went to pay mine yesterday - Friday! You should also pay "Taxa de Farolagem", (light dues) at the Port Office in Cabo da Praia, though this is inspected by Policia Maritima and its a few years since they last did a full inspection of foreign boats - I got caught that time so now pay 10 euro each year for local waters only.

Circulation tax is due after 6 months consecutively in calendar year, not cumulative so many on Algarve head to Spain at end of June to avoid it. Not an option for those based in Azores though. We've never paid the circulation tax in 18 years here and Faro Capitania let us get away paying €70 for 6 months light dues once a year. Being mooring based, we don't have Customs or Finances wandering around inspecting, as in marinas.

srm

Visit site
No moorings in Terceira so we are all pretty much captive. I have seen customs officials going around Praia Marina recording boat names and ports/registrations. If over wintering boats plan to leave in the first 6 months of the year they do not pay circulation tax.

As we have discussed elsewhere, local officials in Portugal may interpret and apply the national rules differently.

voyager35

Visit site
No moorings in Terceira so we are all pretty much captive. I have seen customs officials going around Praia Marina recording boat names and ports/registrations. If over wintering boats plan to leave in the first 6 months of the year they do not pay circulation tax.

As we have discussed elsewhere, local officials in Portugal may interpret and apply the national rules differently.
yes I dont think there is any way to avoid the taxes