101Boat Tests for a Poor Boat Owner please

yondcassius

Visit site
Can I be the first to petition, on behalf of us lesser mortals, for a Poor Man’s 101 Boat Tests.

Ideally the tests would be of ‘2nd time around boats’ from the last 30 or so years but with a maximum price of circca 40k but many less than that. Preferably full page reports rather than the half page edited highlights as in the current 2nd time around section.

Should have waited for the current 101 Boat Tests to hit the shelves instead of ordering a copy in advance because 87 tests are on boats costing more than 40k and therefore beyond my pocket. Although these 87 reports make interesting reading, especially with regard to seeing how the other half live (or sail), they are of no use in helping me find my perfect boat. Tho I have made a mental note of two or three that I might be able to afford second or ninth hand in 20 or 30 years time :)

<hr width=100% size=1>

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>I have never heard or seen this tome you refer to. However I have to agree with your sentiments. Journalists in the boating sphere seem to think that the bulk of boaters are in the luxury market, maybe they are privy to information that I am not and are correct. I can only go by my own observations which lead me to believe that the bulk of boaters are on a much less exalted scale. To draw a simile, owning a boat instead of a second car.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

Parashandy

Visit site
I agree with everything you say but have one further comment. I don't have a copy of this booklet but did have a flip through on a WHS shelf.

What struck me was the absence of any underwater profiles - surely the most important aspect of any boat. This major omission also applies to quite a few advertisements for new craft and serves only to emphasise the bank-balance/IQ ratio of some of the prospective purchasers.

<hr width=100% size=1>

yondcassius

Visit site
You can see the full list of boats tested and also download a sample page via the "visit our magazine sites" link.

It's clear from just looking that the majority listed are out of my league - worst case of rubbing my nose in it is the Discovery 55 price £655,000. Must be nice to have money.

But seriously, had I noticed the above link I probably wouldn't have bothered ordering. Live and learn.

<hr width=100% size=1>

yondcassius

Visit site
I agree. My other gripe is that in my view the boats haven't been tested unless the test was done in a blow.
I'm after one labelled "won't scare swmbo" and immediately eliminated a number of boats tested, including higher priced ones, after reading the review and seeing sentences like "we can't help wondering how she'd cope if the breeze really picked up". Surely the whole point of a boat test is to find out.

I don't want swmbo to be the first to find out.

Oh dear I seem to be doing nothing but moan this week.

<hr width=100% size=1>

paulrossall

Visit site
Worth reading the Sailwind 27 posting now working its way down to the bottom of the Scuttlebut page. The publication I refered to has 3 other books, gpr yachts up to 27ft, 34 to 50 ft and motor sailers 20 to 50ft. They are really useful for the cost contious boater.They give brief detaiols of boat, normally an underwater profile and then refer to a publication where they were covered in more detail, eg old PBO etc.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jacket

I\'m in Cambridge, boat\'s at Titchmarsh marina, W
Visit site
<What struck me was the absence of any underwater profiles >

Yes, quite agree. And why didn't they iclude the accommodation layout? Again fairly important when choosing a boat, and as drawings had been prepared for the original magazine articles, why didn't they include them?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ohdrat

Visit site
Just checked out, at Newsagents, this unlighlightening bit of glossy junk... it is just that... utter rubbish.. it is uniformative and they have a cheek to charge for it..

It looks more like some marketing job on behalf of the brokers trying to shift expensive boats to the ignorant.. and this glossy will not make the ignorant any more knowledgeable about the boats listed.

I am utterly disgusted!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Bejasus

Visit site
The problem you refer to is very apparent. Unless you are a canal boater or have a fairly reasonable disposable income, then there is nothing out there in the way of publications. I myself have a 40 year old Seamaster on the Broads, but having had a nasty divorce at 40 plus and starting again with next to nothing, I find that as my first adventure into boating that there is very little to cater for someone with a mediocre(to some), availability of spare cash with which to dabble at this time. All the boats I can find in my price range at present are either with some grotty broker, in freeads, or Boatmart, which is the only mag that caters anywhere near for this kind of boating. However, if I wanted to read about fishing, then I would buy a magazine about fishing, of which there is an abundance. What is needed is a middle of the road mag rather than all the pretentious crap that ther is around at present. I have to say that I occasionally buy these, but we can all dream, huh?

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/h00>http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/h00</A>

pcv

Visit site
I gree with all the above comment's Two kid's and wife ( both hate boats ) leaves very little money to enjoy sailing. Just read Shrimpy & Shrimpy Sails Again, just show's what you can do with £400 !

p.s I owen a Caprice mk111 ........... Look out Kid's stop fighting or dads off to the Caribbean :)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site

kds

www.canongrange.co.uk
Look no further - My Atalanta is still for sale - they don't come better than that.
And the price is down to £6200. No - it does not have a diesel engine to slow it down.

<hr width=100% size=1>Check out some pictures of my boat at;
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.canongrange.co.uk/boat>http://www.canongrange.co.uk/boat</A>

tynesman

Visit site
I agree with all post replies and have been buying MBM less and less,now they have started one section on old boat reports but as others have said the majority advertised and featured are +£25K.
MBM seem to be missing the the fact that the majority of us find a feature about how someone renovated an older boat and the problems they resolved much more interesting then reading how a £100K boat performs.
One other thing that is apparent in MBM is the lack of boat chandlers advertising in the Mag,this must reflect how much MBM want for advertising.
Well it's back to finding some rubber hoses for my 28 year old boat!

Happy boating to all

Tynesman

<hr width=100% size=1>

craigbalsillie

Visit site
<<because 87 tests are on boats costing more than 40k and therefore beyond my pocket

with a budget of 40K you are hardly a "poor" boat owner.

I would love to get into sailing but with a budget in the hundreds of pounds rather than the thousands of pounds look's like I'm stuck with reading about it..

And they reckon sailing isn't elitist. yeah right!!!!!!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

paulrossall

Visit site
We all had to start somewhere and you would be surprised how many of us started at 40 or 50 + when you get kids off your hands and realise that your time is passing by and somehow you get started on the ladder. Many drive an older car and scrimp and save to run a boat. If you look hard enough you will find a sail boat with a cabin for less than £1000 which you can trail behind a car and then you are started. Some of the boaters on the forum do have loads of money and can afford expensive boats and good luck to them. They have either earnt it, inherited it or worked hard (like most of us) and got lucky. Walk round places where there is water and ask about neglected looking boats and eventually you will find something. Good luck Paul

<hr width=100% size=1>

craigbalsillie

Visit site
Thanks for the words of encouragement,,

reading through the forums tonight I was beginning to think I was onto plums..
I'm off to the boat jumble down Irvine way next weekend..

See what I can pick up there... Thanks again..

<hr width=100% size=1>

yondcassius

Visit site
Those books are inspirational and favourites of mine. I doubt if I'd be as brave!

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the Caprice if you can spare the time.

<hr width=100% size=1>