Wonderful Wells

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Despite the manifest attractions of Lowestoft, when the 2 weeks of on-the-nose northerly winds broke it was time to go. For probably the first time we hit our passage plan arrival time exactly at the W cardinal of 5.20pm.

In good weather, the entrance is both a doddle & an absolute delight - not so in bad weather. The route tucks in so close to the beach that you can steal the crabs from the kids' buckets!

The pontoon is a great - and the HM meets you & takes lines. The towns itself is a step back in time with a main street of small shops & fish and chips near the harbour.

The tide rages up & down, so sitting on the boat watching the ducks do 6knts is fun. The walk down to the beach provides exercise & a chance to inspect the narrow channel and the beaches navigation buoys (at LW hopefully).

There is a small, helpful chandlery.

BF's top tips - spend more than a day!

Swankyness : 4/5
Grittiness : 2/5

IMG_20210906_183113_compress79.jpg

mainsail1

Visit site
I have always wanted to sail there but the depths seem scary for a fin keel of 1.7m. What type of keel does your boat have and what are the depths at the pontoon at LW? Thanks.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I have always wanted to sail there but the depths seem scary for a fin keel of 1.7m. What type of keel does your boat have and what are the depths at the pontoon at LW? Thanks.
Bilge keel of 1.1m. We chatted to someone who had come in with a draft of 1.8 - he was certainly afloat thru springs LW so at the right state of tide you should have no problem. The harbour master is very helpful.

Daverw

Visit site
Although Lift keel we draw 1.8 with it down @nd never came close to touching into Wells 3 weeks ago, on pontoon had 1.5m below minimum

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
We made it to Wells on our second attempt and loved it. We'll definitely go again, maybe even next year (or if not, the year after - could do with new sails first cos next year we're likely to be motor boating!)

Daverw

Visit site
I had planned to skip Wells on my Round Britian next year, Britolfashion you have changed my mind.
Really good stop over on way up or down, we go to Wells at least twice a year, SWMBO loves the trip, not many places where by boat you have the best location in the town for the least money, harbour master and staff cannot be more helpful and never had and issues with anyone. They watch boats coming close and always come out to guide / help in over the bar in their rib

WoodyP

Visit site
If you can take the ground, a trip from Wells to Brancaster is fun. The approach needs a bit of research, the advice I had was to head straight in to the Golf clubhouse, and just before you hit the beach turn left. There's a deeper pool but to stay afloat but the approach is pretty shallow.

Elemental

Visit site
You will have absolutely zero issues with a keel depth of 1.7m. We draw 1.5m, and have visited the last two years. Aim to be at the cardinal at HW-2 (it's 55 nm from Lowestoft, but you can pause - even overnight - at Sea Palling to help your arrival time). Call the Harbourmaster on VHF12 and he'll advise. Last year the buoys were out of place so he came out to guide us in, this year they give you a brief instruction but basically just follow the marked channel. You can reserve a berth but they will never turn anyone away.

It's a great place to holiday for a few days.

alexrunic

Visit site
I've been in many many times over the years. The channel the last couple of years is the straightest it's ever been. Current boat draws 1.6m and never had an issue.

Just be aware any winds from the North above force 4 can make it a dangerous entrance, if in doubt call ahead and the harbour staff will advise.

Certainly a few days is best for Wells its my favorite harbor by far.

Barncaster & Blakeney are both well worth a visit but only if you dry out.

MoodySabre

Visit site
Is the Dutch restaurant vessel no longer there? They used to do a great breakfast. A group of us stayed there when they were doing BandB. It was February and absolutely freezing - slept with our clothes on and coats over the top. What a laugh.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Is the Dutch restaurant vessel no longer there? They used to do a great breakfast. A group of us stayed there when they were doing BandB. It was February and absolutely freezing - slept with our clothes on and coats over the top. What a laugh.
Oh, we didn't see it - I could have managed a Broodje Haring! I wonder if it still around?

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
If you can take the ground, a trip from Wells to Brancaster is fun. The approach needs a bit of research, the advice I had was to head straight in to the Golf clubhouse, and just before you hit the beach turn left. There's a deeper pool but to stay afloat but the approach is pretty shallow.
A friend of mine ran aground there in his car . We were playing golf at Brancaster which is a lovely old real links. The clubhouse is inaccessible close to high water but he thought he could he could ford it. He caught up with us after about nine holes. Apparently the water was higher than the footwells when he came to a stop.

Daverw

Visit site
The Albatross is due back next few months after refit