When was the last time a new marina was opened on the East Coast?

johnalison

Visit site
So you think the suggested sea-lock by the Martello Tower wouldn't have been popular?

Just off topic: I spent 16 years on the Aldeburgh Town Council (12yrs + 4yrs). It was proposed by ( I think by County Council, could be wrong)
to install a statue of Benjamín Britten in the churchyard. This didn't go down too well. Plenty of memorials to him, other people buried there, etc. Someone timidly suggested a bird bath would be a better installation.
A few days after this I was seated on the pavement in a queue for The Proms, Albert Hall, with a load of College of Music students. Couple of tutors came along chatting, asked me where I was from. Aldeburgh...argh. The place that would sooner have a bird bath than a statue of Ben Britten.
It got picked up by International Press and went Worldwide. Town Council got written letters from Japan.
Didnt get the Statue, or the bird-bath.
Benjamin Britten was a precocious talent. There is a story of him being taken to a performance of Beethoven's seventh symphony at the age of fourteen, not having ever heard it before, in those pre-LP days. On return to home or school, whichever it was, he then proceeded to play the symphony though on the piano. I'm not sure how true oraccurate the account is but it is probably partly true, which is remarkable enough. He then ended up at the RCM under John Ireland, who was a fine composer but very conservative. They got on together like a bucket of dry ice.

ex-Gladys

Visit site
Years ago (1975ish) I was invited for a sail on an engineless grp folkboat (folkDancer?) that was in Mayflower Marina in Plymouth or rather on the outside of the outermost pontoon....

Aquaboy

Visit site
Neptune was up and running way before Haven in Ipswich.
The lightship of I assume the sea cadets was over the other side right where Havens reception is now

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Wondering if Morgan Marine at Brightlingsea counts as a marina. If so, probably the latest.

A marina (from Spanish [maˈɾina], Portuguese [mɐˈɾinɐ] and Italian [maˈriːna]: marina, "coast" or "shore") is a dock or basin with moorings and supplies for yachts and small boats. A marina differs from a port in that a marina does not handle large passenger ships or cargo from freighters.

tillergirl

Visit site
I guess marinas only became viable once most yachts had reliable engines and reverse.
Entering marinas and locks in my Stella with a Stuart Turner with no reverse [and often no forward either, was always a lottery.

Ah, yes. With our first boat our Stuart wouldn't push us into Bradwell Creek with the tide but against the wind!

Tomahawk

Visit site
Wondering if Morgan Marine at Brightlingsea counts as a marina. If so, probably the latest.

A marina (from Spanish [maˈɾina], Portuguese [mɐˈɾinɐ] and Italian [maˈriːna]: marina, "coast" or "shore") is a dock or basin with moorings and supplies for yachts and small boats. A marina differs from a port in that a marina does not handle large passenger ships or cargo from freighters.

The penny has dropped.

oldgit

Visit site
Chatham dockyard closed in around 1985 ?
MDL must have moved in after that.
Still remember the snorts of derision from when MDL announced a plan to build a marina in the old dock basin.
One of our club members with a Princess 45 negociated a deal for one of the first few berths. MDL simply wanted to get a few boats in there and were prepared to take a seriouss financial hit to achieve it.Might have been a two or three year agreement .
As the marina became more popular and the prices went up, he quietly went elsewhere.

fredrussell

Visit site
No one has mentioned Wrabness Marina on the Stour yet. One of the more recent ones on the East coast surely, was it 2013 it was opened? Toilet block is only so-so, but close proximity to the Grayson Perry house is a bonus.

Habebty

Visit site
I think the Wrabness Marina planners should be complemented on their 100% reduction in environmental impact when building the marina, it certainly blends in to the surroundings more than any other I have visited.
Yes, the pontoons are the best design for blending in to the natural background, almost as if they weren't there!

Parabordi

Visit site
Chatham dockyard closed in around 1985 ?
MDL must have moved in after that.
Still remember the snorts of derision from when MDL announced a plan to build a marina in the old dock basin.
One of our club members with a Princess 45 negociated a deal for one of the first few berths. MDL simply wanted to get a few boats in there and were prepared to take a seriouss financial hit to achieve it.Might have been a two or three year agreement .
As the marina became more popular and the prices went up, he quietly went elsewhere.
yeah he moved his "Drey" upriver didn't he!

fredrussell

Visit site
Yes, the pontoons are the best design for blending in to the natural background, almost as if they weren't there!

The good news is that some of those knackered old sheds on the foreshore are being cleared to make the car park bigger. Good job too, blot on the bloody landscape. The other news is that they’re currently trying to arrange a deal with Snape marina whereby if you’re a member of one you can use the other, a la MDL. Can’t wait.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
The good news is that some of those knackered old sheds on the foreshore are being cleared to make the car park bigger. Good job too, blot on the bloody landscape. The other news is that they’re currently trying to arrange a deal with Snape marina whereby if you’re a member of one you can use the other, a la MDL. Can’t wait.

I went over to Vladivostok Yacht Harbour for a day sail yesterday and nipped back to Wrabness in the evening. All done under jib. I was surprised that Vladivostok was linked with Snape & Wrabness with a cut price vodka deal. I'm going again on Saturday.