Whale wars new boat is sinking

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
Last edited:

Tommyrot

yuan-hang.blogspot.com
Certainly looks like hostile action by the Japs. As far as I can tell from the vid, the Japs were turning to starboard with the deliberate intention of ramming.

or to avoid hitting the it with the stern of their boat and chewing it in the prop....

The protesters have a history of playing "chicken" with the whaling boats, the whalers have managed to avoid them up until this incident.

Would have been very easy for the fast little boat to get out of the way of the big slow boat.

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
Certainly looks like hostile action by the Japs. As far as I can tell from the vid, the Japs were turning to starboard with the deliberate intention of ramming.

Here's what I see...the whaler turning and will miss the sea shepherd's boat, until the sea shepherd's accelerates into the path of the whalers

OK spraying the boat you've just hit with water canons isn't tennis.

But I don't recall seeing you can't do it in col regs!!

bbg

Visit site
Here's what I see...the whaler turning and will miss the sea shepherd's boat, until the sea shepherd's accelerates into the path of the whalers
Pretty much what I see as well, except I can't determine whether the big boat was turning. There are just no external references to determine whether it was.

I see little boat tootling along at a couple of knots - towards the path of the big boat, then accelerating in the last couple of seconds. Without that acceleration it is unclear whether the little boat would have been hit.

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
I see little boat tootling along at a couple of knots - towards the path of the big boat, then accelerating in the last couple of seconds. Without that acceleration it is unclear whether the little boat would have been hit.

True, but if the SS peeps in the little black boat had gone astern, or taken off power they wouldn't be quite a few feet shorter now.

Do we know that the Shonan Maru II wasn't restricted in her ability to manoeuvre? (towing a whale for example):confused:

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
The little boat had engines idling until the last few seconds. I'd suggest the acceleration wasn't to ram the big boat (why?) but to try to get manoeuvrability to turn away. Yes, the biggy is turning to starboard. In the initial shot she'll go clear ahead if she maintains her course, but the angle quickly changes to that for the resulting collision. And the littlely is almost dead in the water until the last few seconds, so it's not her movement which has closed the angle.

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
Do we know that the Shonan Maru II wasn't restricted in her ability to manoeuvre? (towing a whale for example)

Shonan Maru II is elsewhere said to be a 'guard ship' and not designated a harpoon vessel.

The harpoon vessels are called Yushin Maru I, II and III.

Still, it appears from the video the Adi Gil's helm confused his backwards lever with his forward lever.

Madhatter

wp.me
True, but if the SS peeps in the little black boat had gone astern, or taken off power they wouldn't be quite a few feet shorter now.

Do we know that the Shonan Maru II wasn't restricted in her ability to manoeuvre? (towing a whale for example):confused:

Or steering jammed with ropes placed in the water by those stupid protesters on the small boats (who accelerated into the path of the ship)It is they who should be arrested for putting lives at risk and dangerous "driving"

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
Or steering jammed with ropes placed in the water by those stupid protesters on the small boats (who accelerated into the path of the ship)It is they who should be arrested for putting lives at risk and dangerous "driving"

I don't know how the Japanese get away with whaling in a marine sanctuary, but I don't see that gives the protesters the right to disable whaling vessels on the southern ocean :confused:

OK the of killing dwindling whales for food (or "research" with their quota of 1 around day) is seen as wrong here in the UK. But imagine if a group of Japanese environmentalists came over here and tried to disable cod fishing boats with floating ropes to foul their props and stink bombs to disrupt fishing etc

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
But imagine if a group of Japanese environmentalists came over here and tried to disable cod fishing boats with floating ropes to foul their props and stink bombs to disrupt fishing etc

I expect the Spanish would be very upset.
icon12.gif

Stemar

Visit site
I'm totally opposed to the hunting of whales for any, even "scientific" (my arse!) purposes, and I haven't seen the vids - my connection at work just isn't up to it, but anyone whose purpose is to disrupt a legal (OK, legal-ish - the lawyers can get rich arguing that one) activity by acting in a dangerous manner at sea deserves what they get. They're clearly putting themselves and the other vessel at risk. By all means, shadow the whalers and put yourself between tham and any whales, or let off underwater explosives to scare whales away, but keep the colregs. This incident smacks of a deliberate publicity stunt by Sea Shepherd Conservation Society.

I note a complaint that the Japanes vessel ignored a mayday. It seems that the Ady Gil still hasn't sunk so, under the circumstances, that doesn't seem so unreasonable. My expectation, were I skipper, would be for the AG's crew to continue to try to disrupt my activities after rescue unless I locked them up, which I probably have neither a suitable space nor crew available to act as gaolers. I also have a sneaking suspicion that AG had backup not so far away. I also suspect the use of fire hoses was to prevent boarding by AG's crew, which I would want to prevent for the same reasons.

Visit site
Let's hear it for the cod!

Quote - But imagine if a group of Japanese environmentalists came over here and tried to disable cod fishing boats with floating ropes to foul their props and stink bombs to disrupt fishing etc

Bring it on! I'm with the cod here! (and I do have a soft spot for the whales too. We stopped being hunter gatherers 10k years ago)

aslabend

Visit site
Sea Shepard organisation advocate violence to stop whaling so not my favourite type of people. Hope nobody was seriously hurt but they always sail "a bit close to the wind" when playing chicken with the whaling fleets so it's no surprise really.