Volvo 290 Sterndrive steering helmet bushing.

moresparks

Visit site
Hi, has anybody replaced the Bushing in the steering helmet (853048)? as fitted to the 290 sterndrives?
This is the one that the Bearing tap (852705) fits.
The bushing is approx. 40mm diameter threaded with 2 x 4mm slots.
When I had an insurance survey, I was advised (not critical) that at some point it may be worth replacing the bushings in case of “play” in the steering.
However… 30 years of stainless steel bushing in an Aluminum Steering Helmet and it doesn’t want to budge. Tried heat and penetrating oil to no avail.. Even tried a long steel 4mm thick bar but just succeeded in bending the bar. Not sure if there are other tools that can remove the bushing without damage to the Steering helmet.
Just thinking of polishing the bushing up and maybe replace the complete steering yoke assembly the next time I remove the drives for bellows change!!
Any advice appreciated.

oldgit

Visit site
Its the plastic "top hat" bushes that usually wear and are normally replaced.
There are a couple of other rubber seals as well. ?
Worn bushes can allow water to weep past especially if the stern of the boat is low and under the water.
My Princess 33 had this problem, just applied plenty of grease when fitting new bushes, it reduced water ingress to virtually nothing.

Pix is from a 280 but suspect 290 is virtually the. same.
Make sure to clean out the internal grease channel , (a bit of wire is ideal,) connected to that grease nipple.
Over time the water and grease will go rock hard and no grease gun pressure will shift it.

Last edited:

simonfraser

Visit site
yep same here, totally blocked when i got the boat and it leaked a bit when choppy
the grease nipple on top is tough to access so never gets done
put a grease gun on in and warm the bearing up, gently, with a hot air gun
that worked for me
i have now extended the grease line with a banjo fitting and a 1m length of flexible hydraulic hose
dead simple to grease it now and not leaking any more

moresparks

Visit site
Hi, Thank you for responding... its actually the bushing you have on the cable tie... not the bearing tap but the "ring". Its a threaded stainless steel "bushing" with a couple of slots in...

moresparks

Visit site
"Surprised that needs replacing is the other part with the 2 holes in loose."

Not as far as I am aware... I have to lever that out with the "cover" screws as per manual.
I think it was a precautionary suggestion ... assuming it would be fairly easy to change!!!

oldgit

Visit site
yep same here, totally blocked when i got the boat and it leaked a bit when choppy
the grease nipple on top is tough to access so never gets done
put a grease gun on in and warm the bearing up, gently, with a hot air gun
that worked for me
i have now extended the grease line with a banjo fitting and a 1m length of flexible hydraulic hose
dead simple to grease it now and not leaking any more

On my boat a tiny weeny bit of the transom had been cut away to allow a grease gun to be attached to steering yoke nipple.
It was of course virtually totally impossible to get the gun on the nipple even if you turned the helm hard over and balanced on yer head to even be able to see it.
All had to be done by feel.
No wonder nobody ever greased the yoke fron new.
The other outdrive was even worse.

oldgit

Visit site
Hi, Thank you for responding... its actually the bushing you have on the cable tie... not the bearing tap but the "ring". Its a threaded stainless steel "bushing" with a couple of slots in...

That "bushing" has nothing to do with keeping water out of the boat.
It physically connects the steering fork to the leg , to turn them when you turn the helm.
A bit of play is just par the course , after all its an outdrive. :)

Last edited:

Andrew_Fitton

Visit site
Hi, has anybody replaced the Bushing in the steering helmet (853048)? as fitted to the 290 sterndrives?
This is the one that the Bearing tap (852705) fits.
The bushing is approx. 40mm diameter threaded with 2 x 4mm slots.
When I had an insurance survey, I was advised (not critical) that at some point it may be worth replacing the bushings in case of “play” in the steering.
However… 30 years of stainless steel bushing in an Aluminum Steering Helmet and it doesn’t want to budge. Tried heat and penetrating oil to no avail.. Even tried a long steel 4mm thick bar but just succeeded in bending the bar. Not sure if there are other tools that can remove the bushing without damage to the Steering helmet.
Just thinking of polishing the bushing up and maybe replace the complete steering yoke assembly the next time I remove the drives for bellows change!!
Any advice appreciated.
Yes, I replaced the bushing on one of my 280 sterndrives last year. The part number for mine is the same as yours so it will be an identical job. It was a struggle to get out. It needed plenty of heat and a special tool. I made the tool, it slotted in to the bush slots and had an hexagon machined on top to take a large socket and bar. I was able to get plenty of leverage and a firm grip of the bush.

stelican

Visit site
Yes, I replaced the bushing on one of my 280 sterndrives last year. The part number for mine is the same as yours so it will be an identical job. It was a struggle to get out. It needed plenty of heat and a special tool. I made the tool, it slotted in to the bush slots and had an hexagon machined on top to take a large socket and bar. I was able to get plenty of leverage and a firm grip of the bush.
Is there much difference in tolerances with the new bush

moresparks

Visit site
Hi, I think I will put the replacement bushing on the back burner for now. Have far more important maintenance jobs to be undertaking.
If it was easy and only take an hour or so ... then no problem, but as I have twin sterndrives and there does not appear to be excessive play, I will leave for another time. This will give me time to make up a tool. As I said it was just an “idea” by the surveyor and not in the report. I will change it eventually but having lost nearly 3 months of maintenance “time” ... I need to crack on.
Many thanks for your suggestions and I did wonder if the bushing had a “reverse” thread??

oldgit

Visit site
Cheaper and easier to keep an eye out for second hand helmet ? with unworn stainless sleeve.
In the end we kept a outdrive/ transom assembly in the garage complete with the labyrinthine
tangle of braided hoses , hydraulic cylinders and those fragile 90 degree adaptors to get the boat moving again during the interminable outdrive failures .
Best thing would have been just to keep the boat on the hard and buy something else with shafts to actually go boating with. :):):).

Last edited:

Mr Googler

Visit site
The new bush removed all the excess play at that bush in the sterndrive steering. You don't realise how worn things have become until new parts are fitted. Other parts in the steering system are then highlighted as also being worn with excess play.
Pm sent