VM Italian engines

chrisgil

Visit site
I am considering a boat with Italian VM engines 320hp. Not sure of model number but about 15 years old. Does anyone have experience of this make of marine engine which I have not come across before?

rafiki_

Visit site
There are many threads on here covering these engines under their various guises. They’ve been branded Mercruiser and BMW as well as VM. They gained a poor rep in the Range Rover Classic in the late 80’s. Main problem was over speeding down long motorway declines, and lean feeling burnt piston crowns. Not relevant in a marine application, but rigorous servicing is.

CLB

Visit site
Hard to argue with Volvo paul but as long as well looked after, the VM is a decent enough engine. Plenty out there still running from the 80's and 90's in Mercruiser and BMW guise. I have one in a Range Rover and thats 33 years old. VM were also used by GM, Rover, Jeep and Ford in various cars.

Momac

Visit site
A friend just bought a boat with them. But 250hp I believe.
Invoices for large sums for engine work came with the boat.

CLB

Visit site
I think my Vetus 250hp may be VM Based. Not certain though.

Every VM i have had dealings with has had the separate cylinder heads for each cylinder. Don't know if that is unique to VM, or indeed if every VM was like it, but may help to narrow it down.

rafiki_

Visit site
Every VM i have had dealings with has had the separate cylinder heads for each cylinder. Don't know if that is unique to VM, or indeed if every VM was like it, but may help to narrow it down.
This was the approach in the 4 and 6 cycling EGR versions used in automotive. I’m sure there were other derivatives too.

spannerman

Visit site
Having worked for Volvo and Mercruiser dealers for the past 25 yrs I can honestly say its Volvo that has payed for my houses, cars and boats. We experience very few problems with VM engines, they start on the first turn , don’t smoke and the 6 cyl is very smooth, I know there are more Volvos out there but even so I have never had to replace a head gasket on a VM or had to rebuild one, just the odd turbo and exhaust bend and ordinary servicing.

Cavalierbond

Visit site
Got a pair of 4.2 d mercruisers ... haven’t missed a bear this ( short ) season inc a spin to st Kats ..
it’s all about the maintenance and oil change ..
good few threads on here ..
Sumps always worth a prod

oldgit

Visit site
Chum was looking at 2 different Broom 33.
One was powered by Mercruisers and one by Volvos. Both about same sized engines.
One was on the Broads and one on the Thames.
The Mercruiser powered boat was three years newer than the the Volvo powered boat.
The Mercruiser boat was 15K cheaper than the Volvo boat.
Condition about the same.
He bought the Mercruiser boat .£15K buys a lot of fuel and repairs.

Reactions: B58

Portofino

Visit site
I am boating in Italy and they seem very loyal where they can for a given size .
VM, 320 hp is Infact a 4.2 L 6 cy block , they do a 350 Hp too .
Also the Italians like there FPT engines .
Never heard any other than praise .
You do not see engineers on them , VM or FPT marine .

If you google the VM 2.4 in the Range Rover , it was the Rover instal relocating the temp sensor from the head to the rad water pipe by the Rover guys in Brummie that gave rise to the bad overheating rep .

Jeep used them for there Cherokee in the 90 s correctly installed they were uneventful.I did 100,000 miles with one ,

On a boat it’s all down to maintenance, history etc .

Take a look examine the engineering , attention to detail ease of maintenance- are the consumables designed for a DIY er etc .

Momac

Visit site
He bought the Mercruiser boat .£15K buys a lot of fuel and repairs.
I agree it doesn't matter which boat is purchased from a depreciation point of view ...........................and in the longer term it doesn't matter proving the £15k isn't needed for engine repairs .