Vacuum cleaner for the boat

Pasarell

Visit site
We have a Hoover 22v handheld that is a Dyson lookalike. Usually have the attachments directly on the hand unit but the long tube is around somewhere. Charge it from 12v using a DC - DC converter rather than the inverter. It's at least as powerful as the Dyson battery one at home and seems to be lasting better - we live aboard. Nearly 4 years now.
Bought from Debenhams for about £115 but saw them in Lidl earlier this year for about £80.
Way better than anything we've had on the boat before

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I have been tempted by the Makita ones, which run off the same batteries as my drill, and for which a 12v charger is available. So far I have managed with a dustpan and brush, but there are reviews on YouTube I'd check out if I were more serious.

Quandary

Visit site
I would never buy anything with Dysons name on it no matter how good it was claimed to be.
A few years back when one skipper in our club admitted to having a vacuum cleaner on board he was subjected to ridicule, now even I have one, a cheap Lidl 12v plug in version, more than adequate for what it is required to do.

jwilson

Visit site
Tried a Black & Decker 12v Dustbuster, thought it was near useless. When part of it broke I threw it away. Now I sneak the Dyson DC59 out of the house every now and then to go to the boat and vacuum the car. Now 5 years old at least, still works beautifully. You do have to follow the instructions re cleaning the filter every so often, or it stops after a couple of seconds each time. It's now the main vacuum for a largish house - the other one (Henry) gets little use now.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
You may be interested in this thread: 12V Vacuum cleaner

I ended up buying a Black and Decker 12v vacuum cleaner, but I had a specific requirement that the cleaner could be operated off the boat's 12V electrical system. However, the B&D cleaner works perfectly well, and picks up the dog's hairs as well as can be expected!

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
I’ve got a cheap 12v car vacuum from a Spanish B&Q type place. Bought about 6 years ago and does a fine job plugged int9 the 12v system on the boat. Paid about €15 for it. Worth every cent. Also got a Lidl rechargeable one at home, also does a great job without any fuss. Like Quandary I have a problem with Dyson: not a nice man or company, so won’t buy his products: but then I find the cheapo alternatives suck well enough for my purposes.

Momac

Visit site
Looking at the way my wife abuses domestic equipment i would say Vax is a good brand as it has survived several years .

We have rechargeable Hoover on the boat that is okay as it has a folding handle . It takes a while to to its job so its okay for interim light cleaning. We take the mains powered Vax to the boat when required.

Spring cleaning involves a steam clean of the carpets .

sgr143

Visit site
Thanks everyone for the replies and the experiences and advice. I think I'll be looking for a Black and Decker 12V, failing that their mains-rechargeable model, and just take it home to charge every now and again.

Steve

differentroads

blog.offbeatsadventures.com
We use a 12v Black and Decker Dustbuster powered from our battery bank. Works well.
Had a Dyson 18v battery model before. Powerful enough but the tiny charging socket was too fragile and kept breaking after I tried repairing it.
The B&D is lighter (not lugging a battery around, more powerful (though my Dyson was a few years old when it was given to me, so not a fair test) and has a bigger dust container. It takes a lot of abuse e.g. sucking up grp dust when I'm grinding patches to glue onto and we are liveaboards so near daily use for 2 years.

G12

Visit site
Interesting! What is the model?

I've searched high and low for a 12V Dyson, or even a 12V charger for my V6, and no sign anywhere :(

I have the Dyson V6 onboard, it's a car and boat version with 12V charger and a really useful flexi hose for getting into awkward places. I bought it from ebay about 2yrs ago. Great little thing.

Zing

Visit site
Thanks everyone for the replies and the experiences and advice. I think I'll be looking for a Black and Decker 12V, failing that their mains-rechargeable model, and just take it home to charge every now and again.

Steve
I had their mains model. It was crap, then it broke. Good riddance. I use a Henry now, well I don’t really much, rather as little as possible.

With varnished floors if you leave the dust alone it forms into little golf ball sized balls, which you can pick up if your irritation at them rolling around overcomes your reluctance to bend down. I’m not sure anything is needed really.

Ammonite

Visit site

Steve
I have a B&D corded 12v model and lets just say i wouldnt buy it again!

Im a big fan of the Ryobi One Plus system and if you like the idea of using the same battery and charger for your drill, angle grinder, multi tool, sander etc then their vacuum at £40 including floor attachment looks like a very good addition but you do need to buy the battery and charger seperately or as part of one of their starter kits.

It may get expensive though if like me you end up buying nearly everything in the range! Great kit though for the money.