Using a dingy on the Thames

Granthsmith

Visit site
I've bought a 2.3hp Honda outboard to go on my 2.4m dingy this year and would like to give this a try out nearer home before the season starts. I thought I might take a run up the Thames with it as my 6 year old will enjoy that too but I just wanted to check whether there was anything that would prohibit that, whether I need any paperwork or anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks for any advice

Firefly625

Visit site
I have not done this, but as I understand locally to me (Weybridge area of Thames) it is fine to put a dingy in the Thames, when you get to a lock you will need to pay the lock keeper a charge that will permit you to be on the thames....or course if you just go up and down between locks..... it may work out a cheaper day out, if not so adventuresome. Although I don't think the charge is very much...and of course a lot of locks are unmanned.

TrueBlue

Visit site
On the tidal Thames (mouth to Teddington)-

No licence or insurance required
Doubt that a small Honda would have enough grunt against the flow except around slack water

On the non tidal bit (Teddington to Crlcklade) -

A licence is required
Third party insurance also required - If it's your tender, then you are probably covered through the main boat. This is new this year.

A short term licence is only for visitors - so your residence might infer that you are a "local", so say otherwise.

EA and members of the Thames Forum (on this board) take a dim view of unlicensed craft, as like the country, the former is broke.

Be honest and tip up at a lock and pay your dues.....

PaulGooch

www.boat-fishing.co.cc
I've bought a 2.3hp Honda outboard to go on my 2.4m dingy this year and would like to give this a try out nearer home before the season starts. I thought I might take a run up the Thames with it as my 6 year old will enjoy that too but I just wanted to check whether there was anything that would prohibit that, whether I need any paperwork or anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks for any advice

Just don't take it onto the tidal Thames. Your engine isn't powerful enough to go against the tide.

TrueBlue

Visit site
That would be for visitors to the river, for that day/week/whatever. Not for visitors to the area. It makes no difference where you live.

We, (the Thames Forum) had a thread recently where the OP - living near the River - was buying a boat from afar and wanted a STL until the end of the year.

EA said no, he was not a visitor (go figure!). Caused a lot of angst.

Sometimes interpretation of regulations defies logic. Easier to say "I'm from Glasgow, ye ken..."

PaulGooch

www.boat-fishing.co.cc
We, (the Thames Forum) had a thread recently where the OP - living near the River - was buying a boat from afar and wanted a STL until the end of the year.

EA said no, he was not a visitor (go figure!). Caused a lot of angst.

Sometimes interpretation of regulations defies logic. Easier to say "I'm from Glasgow, ye ken..."

lol, yes very strange. Still, it was the EA :D

Granthsmith

Visit site
Thanks for the comments, if I do try out the dingy it will be around the Windsor/Maidenhead area so no tides to worry about up here. Once it is down on the coast it'll only be used to get from the boat (29' Sportscruiser) to the beach etc anyway so I hope the engine will be fine but still small enough to store in the transom locker.

PaulGooch

www.boat-fishing.co.cc
Thanks for the comments, if I do try out the dingy it will be around the Windsor/Maidenhead area so no tides to worry about up here. Once it is down on the coast it'll only be used to get from the boat (29' Sportscruiser) to the beach etc anyway so I hope the engine will be fine but still small enough to store in the transom locker.

Just be aware that the engine will struggle badly in a strong tide and you'll be fine. Remember to always carry an anchor, or you could end up in Wales lol