Torqueedo corrosion

chaz4sails

Visit site
I have a Torqueedo 1103 travel which has severe corrosion after one year of use. After every trip it has been thoroughly washed in fresh soapy water and dried. I have complained to the main importer within the warranty period, but Torqueedo in Germany refuse to do anything about it.
In my opinion the construction is of very poor quality and the product is not of merchantable quality. You have been warned!

Poignard

Visit site
I have a Torqueedo 1103 travel which has severe corrosion after one year of use. After every trip it has been thoroughly washed in fresh soapy water and dried. I have complained to the main importer within the warranty period, but Torqueedo in Germany refuse to do anything about it.
In my opinion the construction is of very poor quality and the product is not of merchantable quality. You have been warned!
Which parts have corroded?

FWB

N/A
Visit site
Yes I’ve had mine since they came out years ago. Washing it down was not really practical. It is corroded but still functional. I agree that for something that is obviously going to be used in salt water, it’s not great. The later versions are better made, especially the tilting mechanism and drive but they are still not ideal in salt water.

Momac

Visit site
Did you buy it new? If you did it's the retailer who you you should complain to,

chaz4sails

Visit site
All parts except the aluminium shaft casing have corroded. It’s been washed using hand soap solution. The main importer has been trying to get Torqeedo to sort it, but they refuse!

dunedin

Visit site
All parts except the aluminium shaft casing have corroded. It’s been washed using hand soap solution. The main importer has been trying to get Torqeedo to sort it, but they refuse!
Depending on how long ago you actually bought the outboard, as MartynG says the primary responsibility to resolve lies with the retailer. Whether or not Torqeedo then reimburse the retailer is the retailer’s issue not yours.
Might be worth posting some pictures on here so people can see the areas of corrosion you are referring to.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Isn't salt one of the ingredients of soap?
Soap is A salt in the chemical sense of a chemical compound of a metal (sodium or potassium in the case of soap) with an acid (long chain fatty acids such as oleic acid for soap). It doesn't contain sodium chloride (table salt; the main salt in seawater). You can think of it working because one end of the molecule is soluble in water (like salt) and the other is soluble in grease or oil.

Poey50

Visit site

That's concerning. Ours is also that age or older and I have noticed the shaft is discoloured which must a minor form of corrosion but no worse than that. Can I check how long your motor is left with the leg submerged?

chaz4sails

Visit site
These photos were taken a few months ago and the corrosion has got worse since. The Torqueedo is only used for a short dinghy trip of less than 10 minutes.
I am really disappointed with the quality of construction. As an out board to transport in the car it’s great as no fuel leaks or petrol smells.

Attachments

• 88ACF716-7FF1-481B-ADAF-18FB4115E31C.jpeg
    88ACF716-7FF1-481B-ADAF-18FB4115E31C.jpeg
    435.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 12049C27-2301-423D-9A35-623637CE7435.jpeg
    12049C27-2301-423D-9A35-623637CE7435.jpeg
    507.6 KB · Views: 78
  • CACAF7FA-9741-4283-A88B-F350227726D0.jpeg
    CACAF7FA-9741-4283-A88B-F350227726D0.jpeg
    631.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 3CABBA7C-6280-4CF7-999A-FE52ECB59581.jpeg
    3CABBA7C-6280-4CF7-999A-FE52ECB59581.jpeg
    731.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 1CB96EE1-3996-4ECE-B7FF-1709A5FB205B.jpeg
    1CB96EE1-3996-4ECE-B7FF-1709A5FB205B.jpeg
    462 KB · Views: 76
  • F97F23A2-ADD0-40BE-A49F-5F2260A0A8FD.jpeg
    F97F23A2-ADD0-40BE-A49F-5F2260A0A8FD.jpeg
    538.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 318312CF-EE36-4DA2-8209-A23CD1E702CC.jpeg
    318312CF-EE36-4DA2-8209-A23CD1E702CC.jpeg
    527.8 KB · Views: 73

dunedin

Visit site
These photos were taken a few months ago and the corrosion has got worse since. The Torqueedo is only used for a short dinghy trip of less than 10 minutes.
I am really disappointed with the quality of construction. As an out board to transport in the car it’s great as no fuel leaks or petrol smells.
Wow, that does look bad (worse than my 22 year old Mariner 3.3hp bought last year from eBay).

When did you get it?

Poey50

Visit site

Thanks for taking the trouble to send pictures. When I was just out of university with very little work ethic I blagged a job as a paint sprayer with an agricultural firm. I told them I was experienced (I had used a Halford's touch-up spray on my motorbike, after all) so the job was mine. The firm made agricultural rollers which had to be sprayed blue. The work was so boring I often couldn't be bothered to get out of bed. When I did turn up I simply dealt with the backlog of work by dispensing with all the prep and the undercoat and going straight to the topcoat. Saved an amazing amount of time!

There's definitely a touch of Friday afternoon-itis in that coating. My Torqueedo, that I have had for a similar amount of time, is nothing like that.

jwilson

Visit site
Not very good - I'd expect this sort of corrosion in places after ten years, not one. Chase the supplier, but make sure Torqueedo know about this "social media" post. It had crossed my mind to buy one - but now ......... I have an elderly Japanese two-stroke 3.5 that has less corrosion.

Poignard

Visit site
I would be in contact with the retailer, with a view to getting my money back, or a substantial retrospective discount, and also with the manufacturer, to let them know of the problem and get an explanation. If the manufacturer acknowledges that it is a known problem, that could help with your claim against the retailer.

You have enforceable rights as a consumer. Citizens Advice provides plenty of guidance and specimen letters that you might find helpful.

Yngmar

Visit site
Our 2008 Suzuki looked like that. Bit of sanding, etch primer and fresh paint might be more productive than calling the lawyers. Certainly more satisfying!

Luminescent

Visit site

Did you pay for this on your credit card? If so, your contract is technically with your credit card provider. If the supplier is refusing to do anything about a faulty product, in the UK you're covered. Items must be Satisfactory, As Described, Fit for purpose, And last a Reasonable length of Time. These are your SAD FART rights.

Consumer rights

justanothersailboat

Visit site
If this had happened to mine I'd be thoroughly unhappy. No sign yet. I'm not as diligent about cleaning it as you are, either. I wonder what % of Torqeedos this happens to and why? Maybe it's one of those casting alloys that is normally very good but slight impurities can lead to bad batches that are much more failure prone. They do all seem to be around places where the paint layer is interrupted by things like screw holes. Definitely a defect the retailer should address.