Targa 40 Makeover

jcwads

Visit site
Hi All

Thought I would post this thread as my T40 is undergoing a little makeover and should be completed by mid to late May. List of things being done -

Cockpit Upholstery - Tockfield are currently re covering all cockpit seating. Inspired by JTB and his lovely boat, I couldn’t resist following suit. Seats being done in Silvertex along with sun pads.

Swim Platform and adjacent stepping teak - I’ve taken the decision to go with Flexiteek. I was in two minds but as it is a high wear area I feel the look will last longer. I’ve gone for their bleached finish - inspired by Hurricane. It complements the teak in the cockpit. Also having the griddle / sink lid coated in Flexiteek too, as it’s quite a lump of plastic for my liking!

Cockpit teak - all being refurbished to bring it up like new. When I purchased the boat this was the most tired part of it and the caulking is a mess, splattered all over!

Covers - JB is in the final stages of completion. My existing covers will be used for the winter seasons.

Engine Bay - this is my own personal project. Simply going to be cleaning it down and getting it looking good again. Not sure the previous owner shared my OCD for a clean engine bay! I’ll be de greasing the bilges and topping up any areas with some gloss if needed. I think a future project will be taking the engines out and refurbish the mounts and get the bay re painted.

Topsides - They have very ingrained black marks that won’t come out with conventional cleaners. I’ve got some solution called ‘truck wash’ which was very kindly given to me by the company that does my anti fouling and polishing. This should shift the marks and then I will polish everything to seal the surfaces.

Radar Arch - clean up and re seal. It’s leaking!

New name and stainless lettering - Thanks to our resident forumite Pete, they are ready to be adhered. I have named my boat Lyonnesse. After the mythical land between Lands End and Scilly. I’m a bit of a Major fan of the Scillys, even planning on getting there on the boat this summer.

So that’s it. In a few weeks and completely broke, she will hopefully be looking the part!

I will get all pics up when she is ready!

LUNA

Visit site
Hi All

Thought I would post this thread as my T40 is undergoing a little makeover and should be completed by mid to late May. List of things being done -

Cockpit Upholstery - Tockfield are currently re covering all cockpit seating. Inspired by JTB and his lovely boat, I couldn’t resist following suit. Seats being done in Silvertex along with sun pads.

Swim Platform and adjacent stepping teak - I’ve taken the decision to go with Flexiteek. I was in two minds but as it is a high wear area I feel the look will last longer. I’ve gone for their bleached finish - inspired by Hurricane. It complements the teak in the cockpit. Also having the griddle / sink lid coated in Flexiteek too, as it’s quite a lump of plastic for my liking!

Cockpit teak - all being refurbished to bring it up like new. When I purchased the boat this was the most tired part of it and the caulking is a mess, splattered all over!

Covers - JB is in the final stages of completion. My existing covers will be used for the winter seasons.

Engine Bay - this is my own personal project. Simply going to be cleaning it down and getting it looking good again. Not sure the previous owner shared my OCD for a clean engine bay! I’ll be de greasing the bilges and topping up any areas with some gloss if needed. I think a future project will be taking the engines out and refurbish the mounts and get the bay re painted.

Topsides - They have very ingrained black marks that won’t come out with conventional cleaners. I’ve got some solution called ‘truck wash’ which was very kindly given to me by the company that does my anti fouling and polishing. This should shift the marks and then I will polish everything to seal the surfaces.

New name and stainless lettering - Thanks to our resident forumite Pete, they are ready to be adhered. I have named my boat Lyonnesse. After the mythical land between Lands End and Scilly. I’m a bit of a Major fan of the Scillys, even planning on getting there on the boat this summer.

So that’s it. In a few weeks and completely broke, she will hopefully be looking the part!

Sounds like a Good plan .. i will have to pop down and see sometime :encouragement: , my Radar Arch has slight leak too, in the centre? think i need to get up there and re-seal . looks like from where main stainless bracket/mount for radar bolts through ..

Last edited:

LUNA

Visit site
What steering wheel do you have .. just updated ours.. removed the other day, was solid but got it off in the end.. think it looks better than the wooden one :encouragement:

ULdnFSS.jpg

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Sounds like a Good plan .. i will have to pop down and see sometime :encouragement: , my Radar Arch has slight leak too, in the centre? think i need to get up there and re-seal . looks like from where main stainless bracket/mount for radar bolts through ..

Also check the cable grommets (just done mine!).

Fortunately I'm still nimble enough to climb up the sides of the arch and sit on top. I shall be back up there on Monday attempting to fix the anchor light and polish the chrome.

petem

What steering wheel do you have .. just updated ours.. removed the other day, was solid but got it off in the end.. think it looks better than the wooden one :encouragement:

View attachment 70714

Looks great.

I saw someone was after one of the original steering wheels the other day. They'd probably give you a few quid for it if you wanted to sell it.

jcwads

Visit site

View attachment 70714

Nice choice! Looks very good. Yeah mine is not original, it’s sports with a carbon edge. I’ll upload with the finished boat pics!

stelican

Visit site

View attachment 70714

Make sure you wash off any salt water deposits on the metal of the wheel as the metal is plated on some models of that wheel . I have seen the plating lift before.

jrudge

Visit site
Hi All

I had a T40 and thought it was a cracking boat.

The things I did to mine which were inexpensive were : -

- replaced perspex drinks holders with Teak ( I did my current boat in stainless )
- i put LED strip in blue under the backrests ( as in the bottom of them) of the cockpit seating which looked nice
- Ice maker in the locker to the RHD of the grill ( Queue Jimmy the builder telling me I always mention my ice maker - its important!)
-TVs in the cabins ( you probably have this anyway)
- Reversing camera built into the metal grill in the tender garage
- Ebay plastic washing machine in the engine room. Mine was carp but they now do them that are pumped drain so you can install it properly and for us with kids it was very useful

Thats most i can think of. You will also need to change the lighter socket for a USB socket so you can charge your phone (£5 on eBay) It was all cheap and simple to do ( cant say that about a boat very often)

The only deign fault it had that I never fixed was the plate holder gets full of water from sink spills and drying washing up. I always meant to put a drain in it but never got round to it.

Have fun - the benchmark is Jimmy's that is actually a Targa 42 with its large bathing platform!

petem

- replaced perspex drinks holders with Teak ( I did my current boat in stainless )

I actually like the Perspex but nobody seems to make that shade of blue / green anymore. I wonder if that's why FL changed to the smoked brown glass.

I've now got one drinks holder at the back of the cockpit and another two for the foredeck (to be fitted next week) that don't quite match the others. I need to spend more time sourcing a supplier of the right shade.

jcwads

Visit site
I hesitate to mention it but the lost land of Lyonesse sank beneath the waves never to be seen again ... :nonchalance:

Ah well, nothing like living on the edge :cool:

I like the sound of teak cup holders! That’s one to consider. I’m not a fan of the Perspex

jrudge

Visit site
I actually like the Perspex but nobody seems to make that shade of blue / green anymore. I wonder if that's why FL changed to the smoked brown glass.

I've now got one drinks holder at the back of the cockpit and another two for the foredeck (to be fitted next week) that don't quite match the others. I need to spend more time sourcing a supplier of the right shade.

The trouble with drinks holders is...

1. no one ever in the history of boating has actually used one but the boat designers have not been informed ( mostly as the holes are usually the wring size for anything you want to put in them and glasses go on a table!)

2. Perspex cracks!