Susie Goodall chats about GGR & monster waves -

Poey50

Visit site
I just had some 12-strand single braid rope samples from Island Ropes, in Ledbury, which are interesting.

The 10mm stuff is £1.52 per metre, with nominal 8,000kgf min break load
The 8mm stuff is £1.00 per metre, with nominal 5,000kgf min break load

'To put money where mouth is', and just to follow up a little, I've purchased some 10mm HDPE single braid, for this purpose. Steve Hayman is The Man there.....

That is cheap!

zoidberg

Visit site
That is cheap!

Yep! And I bought some other 'ropey' stuff from Steve Hayman at the same time. I'll do so again....

Back to the issue of best structure for a 'Jordan Series Drogue'.

I've followed the several arguments in MorgansCloud/AAC website. It seems to me that we all need to make informed decisions about what 'safety/survival kit' we carry and how/when we'll deploy it. That's our responsibility, but 'squared or cubed' if we're taking other people along.

For my money, the circumstances in which I'd want an effective JSD deployed insist that the kit is more than sufficiently strong enough. Not something I'd want to compromise on.....
Like a lifejacket, or an ejector seat, when needed it MUST work.

My 27-foot boat has a ballast ratio of close to 50% , a calculated STIX Number of 34 and and AVS of 142 ....according to someone who paid to have the calcs professionally done. But... it is a small boat and more vulnerable, more often, to being rolled by a breaking wave than something rather larger ( Warsash Institute tank testing and D. Jordan ) Hence, my requirement for a JSD is greater than many of my peers.

The 'Light Ship' displacement is 6496lbs. I'll call that 8000lbs in solo fully-victualled trim - a guess. The towline I have is rated at 8000kgf, so a Safety Factor of 2.2.....? Or more....?

I find it difficult to imagine a set of conditions which will load that line to anywhere near capacity. Equally, I don't see any good reason, today, to shave off 'capability'.

Getting the kit back in again is a different issue.... and a different order of significance to the above.

Last edited:

Poey50

Visit site
You are very well covered with 10mm HDPE. For our 11,000lb loaded 32 footer I found 8mm gave very ample headroom and, although I didn't buy it from them, I found that Ocean Brake also recommend this size for our displacement. Of course attention then goes to shackles and attachment points.

Last edited:

zoidberg

Visit site
You are very well covered with 10mm HDPE. For our 11,000lb loaded 32 footer I found 8mm gave very ample headroom and, although I didn't buy it from them, I found that Ocean Brake also recommend this size for our displacement. Of course attention then goes to shackles and attachment points.

I suspect we're about 'on the same page' or 'hymn sheet;......