Sourcing fibreglass repair kits

mrlockwood

Visit site
As mentioned in a previous posts - I am tarting up my old GRP tender. I have noticed some weak spots and would like to reinforce with fibreglass sheets. I have seen kits in the local chandlery but they seem VERY expensive for what they are. Anybosy know where I could obtain sheets & resins? B&Q? Halfords?

david42

Visit site
I used one of the Halfords kits a couple of months ago, they're okay but you only get a tiny piece of mat and the resin is a bit hard to mix. Halfords also sell mat, tissue, resin and hardener seperately - seems like a better deal.

If the repair is quite large I'd be tempted to chat up your local GRP repaired/laminator - they'll probably be willing to sell you all you need.

David

jerryat

Visit site
Hi,

Look for your local Scott-Bader branch. Not only are the GRPing materials substantially cheaper than the retail outlets, but they also sell the Farecla glassfibre buffing and polishing stuff (G3, G6 and G10) much cheaper than other places too!!

Cheers Jerry

Hurleyburly

Visit site
There's a (marine) supplier just over the swing bridge in Poole, next to the Sunseeker ahem 'sheds'.

Can't recommend as I've never used them, but might be local for you ?

sofka

Visit site
Although epoxy adhers to old polyester best. Polyester will do well enough as long as you clean and abrade the surface. Then put acetone on it before attempting the repair. The acetone will soften the old polyester resin and then the new stuff sticks OK.
' It works for me.'

Lakesailor

Visit site
If you had your area in your profile we could suggest a local supply.
It's quite safe. The mormons don't come and get you.

(in the interest of equality should we also mention Budhists, Jews, Happy Clappers, Moonies, Lib Dems, single-parent-families, ............................)

Avocet

Visit site
You can often scrounge offcuts of mat and the odd pint of resin from your local boat yard at very reasonabe rates. Also try Glasplies in Southport, Lancs. They do mail order and are very helpful.

gjgm

Visit site
dont mess about, go wholesale. CLS or CFS or summit in Redruth.mail order, arrived before you ve finished your coffee. plenty to practice with !!
if you go small scale, you ll end up wasting a fortune with some bozo who cant help you at all. These guys will tell you what you need and how to do it and you ll get quantity probably for less as well.

Captain Coochie

Visit site
I used The Fibreglass shop in Brentford , he does everything to do with the stuff . call 118118 and ask for it im sure hell post it out to you . And yes it really is called the fibreglass shop .

sandyshaw

Visit site
hi,

recently bought from east coast fibreglass supplies www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk was on the phone at noon and i recieved 10.00am the next day, cant beat that and the gear was at a good price, lloyd's approved too for marine work.
sam /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif