Smoking in restaurants

rivonia

Visit site
Hi everyone, have you noticed that the Greeks (lovely people) ignore all the no smoking signs. We were in a lovely taverna the other night and it was a no smoking place, smokers outside. Once all the locals started to come in later the place gradually filled with smoke = we had to leave, spoilt the evening. What are your oppinions?

Peter

raggy

Visit site
You shoould have stood up on your chair, realed off the relervent EU legislation and given them all a good telling off.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Without wishing to start a chase round the houses on 'where does it say that' , I think I recall a report recently that the Greek government had brought into force a 'no smoking' law pretty much like the one in UK. However, the Greek people don't seem to want to have the law implemented and they choose to ignore it.

You've got 2 choices: make a fuss or leave if you can't stand the smoke. I wouldn't give option one much of a chance of success.......

jimmynoboat

Visit site
Had this happened before all the smoking bans were introduced would you still have left early? Actually my wife and I would have as we always sought out no-smoking resturants and pubs before the ban (and concequently didn't get out much!). As an ex-smoker it didn't used to bother me but SWMBO couldn't stand it. Now I am the same and find I'm choking on the streets because that's were all the smokers go.

Don't worry, it won't be long before we're allowed to hunt smokers down and cul them at will . . . and when they're all gone who will be next?

rivonia

Visit site
Had this happened before all the smoking bans were introduced would you still have left early? Actually my wife and I would have as we always sought out no-smoking resturants and pubs before the ban (and concequently didn't get out much!). As an ex-smoker it didn't used to bother me but SWMBO couldn't stand it. Now I am the same and find I'm choking on the streets because that's were all the smokers go.

Don't worry, it won't be long before we're allowed to hunt smokers down and cul them at will . . . and when they're all gone who will be next?

We are the same. I have never smoked and my wife has breathing problems so for us it is VERY difficult and so do not eat out very often.

Peter

prescott56

Visit site
One could try England, excellent clean air in all rest,pubs etc.

Stay away from Spain , well, Mallorca anyway, as thats a bit smoky.

I think the Greek Gov is gonna start cracking down on the law as of Nov....we'll see.
Regards
R

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
Greece had some "opt outs" from the general ban for small premises.

A good percentage of restaurants in summer permit smoking out of doors - but not indoors. I was surprised to see also that the big cafenions in Kiffissou, the west Athens bus station, seem to maintain a sturdy no smoking policy. So the ban does work in many places.

Davy_S

Visit site

I smoke, but not when someone is eating, It is my good manners thats all.
The Greeks are in enough trouble as it is, the smoking ban has been chalenged, saying that trade is bad enough without banning most of their customers. I walked into my local Taverna last week and asked could I smoke. Of course you can, I only have five customers who dont smoke! I had to laugh. I see it from the point of view of non smokers, but Greece and Spain have always had lots of smokers, people never bothered before. I just think that a bit like politics and the church, some people have to have something to moan about or ban.

JamesFrance

Sant Carles Marina, Spain and Carcassonne
Visit site
When I was a smoker, for 40 years but not for 15 now, I never realised how much being in a smoky place makes your clothes stink.

Fat people and ginger hair don't seem to do that to you, so no need to persecute them.

Personally I thought allowing children in pubs was the end, so maybe a campaign against that? The ones who want to continue with them can be designated as family restaurants which is what they have become anyway.

Davy_S

Visit site
Personally I thought allowing children in pubs was the end, so maybe a campaign against that?
Well,I have to agree with you there, where do I sign?
The strange thing is although I thought that kids wrecked my UK Sunday lunch. they dont in the Med, probably because of a better family oriented way of life.
Regarding the smoking, in the summer in Greece, most people are dining in the open air, so I dont think there is much of a problem. In fact most Brit smokers seem to enjoy the freedom, and it is mostly these who have told the Greeks about all the UK pubs closing because of the ban.
I think if any one thing that has annoyed me is Brits moving abroad and then telling the locals what to do or not do ie, you should not take your wife and three kids out for a meal on your stretch Honda 50, you should wear a seatbelt, not use the phone, the list goes on and on, when in Rome, or go back home!
It is absolutely hammering down here, so I will probably go and have a beer, a ciggy and drive back up the mountain over the limit, simply because I can:)

Last edited:

PLEIAS

Visit site
Bear with me for a while.
Democracy is there to protect the rights of the minorities.But when does the rights of the minority start to opress the majority.
Smoking may harm your health and cause death or canser or impotency or you name it, but MAY...so does burgers and pesticides and pollution and antifouling and you name it.
Smoking is addictive but so is alcohol (and it's more dangerous cause nobody was killed cause of having one too many and driving) why don't they ban that as well? or it will be next?
I'm a smoker and i enjoy it and yes i have good manners and try not to smoke but when they get on my nerves i just get up and leave there's no point in arguing about it.
Why don't they let the store owners choose?Or post a sign outside so you know if you wanna go in or not.
Now for the stats - Businesses who enforced the rule lost 50% of their income add that to the ressecion losses of 30%.
Only 10% of the people gave up smoking in countries where they banned smoking.
Where do all this things stop - Next they'll want us to signal them with our positions every second every time we go sailing or monitor our vehicles so we dont speed or ban fatty food cause it can kill you.
Some compare smokers with vegetarians but i've never heard a veggie saying that he would kill for a lettuce or drive to the other side of the city in the middle of the night to buy a tomato.
That's it and thanks for listening.

JamesFrance

Sant Carles Marina, Spain and Carcassonne
Visit site
Bear with me for a while.
Democracy is there to protect the rights of the minorities.

There was I thinking that democracy existed to allow politicians to introduce any crackpot laws they want, whilst claiming to have the support of the majority. However that does explain the human rights legislation we enjoy. Also why the death penalty was done away with.

I also assumed that democracy was a way of justifying mob rule.

keithandpam

Visit site
the smoking fines are 50 to 500 euros for the smoker and 500 plus for the owner/bar so when they start to implement the ban I bet smoking stops over night

Wansworth

Visit site
The new Spanish no smoking regs are going to be the most stringent in Europe,something about not even smoking outside in a public area of near childrens playgrounds,Probably totally unworkable like the last ban,,,but the Spain is different!!

rivonia

Visit site
Fat people will be next, then peeps with Ginger hair. It will have to be someone, thats how the Brit mentality works!

I smoke, but not when someone is eating, It is my good manners thats all.
The Greeks are in enough trouble as it is, the smoking ban has been chalenged, saying that trade is bad enough without banning most of their customers. I walked into my local Taverna last week and asked could I smoke. Of course you can, I only have five customers who dont smoke! I had to laugh. I see it from the point of view of non smokers, but Greece and Spain have always had lots of smokers, people never bothered before. I just think that a bit like politics and the church, some people have to have something to moan about or ban.

Second hand smoke is CARCENOGENIC, it (smoking) should be banned from ALL public places and perhaps just perhaps it may happen in my lifetime.

Peter