Situation in the Solent

Snoopy463

Visit site
Am booked on a charter in the Solent at the end of June, rolled over from last year’s Covid postponement. All was going swimmingly until HMG started wobbling about the coming out of final restrictions on 21 June. As it stands, can you Marina hop and eat out in boozers without booking etc?

Adios

Visit site
If you sit in to eat places are required to do the track and trace nonsense but there is no requirement for pre-booking unless the business wants to. Personally I'm not taking the chance that someone I was nowhere near gets a false positive test and I'll be forced to shut my business for a couple of weeks so its take away only for now. Don't know about marinas but expect they are open as normal. Everything seems normal in south devon at the moment anyway

ashtead

Visit site
Many marinas and hosteleries on the island are not answering phones currently -too busy to want to take bookings I guess. The risk they have though is large parties dining or staying cancelling due to guests suffering a late manifestation of Indian covid in younger members of their party. No doubt in current market they will have a cancellation list though.

Talking of summer venues I wonder what Alderney will be like in July for entry ?

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
If it's anything like last summer, the bigger problem will be everywhere (marinas and pubs/restaurants) being full and turning people away, because all the people who'd normally be in Greece, Turkey, Croatia, etc, are trying to get into Cowes instead.

Pete

Indeed, as an example from today- Portland marina are turning boats away with no space until Thursday despite having recently installed new pontoons and Weymouth now permitting rafting again.

Giblets

Visit site
Judging by MarineTraffic a few moments ago the West Country could end up being 'Full' looking at the number of boats heading that way. There also seem to be a number of French boats heading north across the Channel as well! Stand by to repel boarders, chaps!

Slowboat35

Visit site
I'm intrigued as to how you'd 'pre-book'...
I've always managed to call up and make a booking right away. Never been asked to make an appointment before being able to book. Sounds unnecessarily complicated!

bdh198

Visit site
Judging by MarineTraffic a few moments ago the West Country could end up being 'Full' looking at the number of boats heading that way. There also seem to be a number of French boats heading north across the Channel as well! Stand by to repel boarders, chaps!

If they’re coming from France they are unlikely to be allowed into a marina and will probably have to self-isolate for ten days at anchor somewhere. They certainly won’t be filling up the local restaurants and pubs.

Adios

Visit site
I've always managed to call up and make a booking right away. Never been asked to make an appointment before being able to book. Sounds unnecessarily complicated!
:ROFLMAO: As I have to repeatedly educate one of my sons "Son, how many people love a smart arse? HOW MANY!??"

XDC

Visit site

How:

Beaulieu Visitor Berth & Mooring Enquiry Form | Beaulieu River

Please note all overnight stays must now be pre-booked and paid for in advance.

Lymington Visitor moorings on Lymington town quay dan bran and harbour master pontoon

Town Quay Pontoon (advance booking required for finger berths)

Dan Bran Pontoon (advance booking required)

Yarmouth Yarmouth Harbour Booking - Yarmouth Harbour - IOW and Solent Harbour

Bembridge. On-line Booking

East Cowes ... I can't refuse their cookies but the visitors booking starts here East Cowes Marina – Visitor berthing | boatfolk

st599

Visit site
Last summer they were cleaning the showers between each user in Lymington and Gosport. You were assigned a time when you pre-booked. We got 5:30 am.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
How:

Beaulieu Visitor Berth & Mooring Enquiry Form | Beaulieu River

Please note all overnight stays must now be pre-booked and paid for in advance.

Lymington Visitor moorings on Lymington town quay dan bran and harbour master pontoon

Town Quay Pontoon (advance booking required for finger berths)

Dan Bran Pontoon (advance booking required)

Yarmouth Yarmouth Harbour Booking - Yarmouth Harbour - IOW and Solent Harbour

Bembridge. On-line Booking

East Cowes ... I can't refuse their cookies but the visitors booking starts here East Cowes Marina – Visitor berthing | boatfolk
There's "booking" and there's "pre-booking". ;)

Richard

Snoopy463

Visit site
I have always found berthon and yacht haven shows offer a first rate service but not so certain as to what you might find on town quay at lymington.
Bad experience at Town Quay, Lymington. Local kids chucking bricks at the boats. Never again. I’m looking forward to the rustic charm of Gosport High Street and the charming hospitality of East Cowes Conservative Club.
We’ll do the grand tour of Gosport, Lymington Yacht Haven, Poole (the pricey one on the front), Yarmouth and East Cowes. If they’ll have us. Back stop is Monty Mariner’s anchor and FBP’s up some secluded creek in the Southampton backwaters.

Cantata

Visit site
Won't just be full of boaty people. I drove from Falmouth back home to Kent yesterday and the traffic heading west and south was solid.

ashtead

Visit site
I feel we are 2 long for the town quay to raft up -Gosport high street is best viewed on a Saturday morning when it has a certain primitive charm with the traders,one of which sells plants in case you have forgotten a present etc . I am afraid I have missed out on delights of the conservative clubs on island but maybe you will bump into councillor Dave languishing there trying to make amends ,now the electorate have delivered his just reward for the chain ferry farce . Haslar is course most welcoming but do book the lightship in advance if you need to eat out. New staff just joined I gather formerly at a pub near hardway.
Poole town quays facilities leaves much to be desired for the price but the display of cars bikes etc on quay in summer provides local interest. Yarmouth is probably fully booked by now depending on your dates. The other place to try if you book ahead is Bembridge but just don’t mention the ongoing property development dispute which trundles on to judicial review I believe.