single handed to the Azores

Black Sheep

Visit site
Two extra details:

1) I'd forgotten that you sometimes need to tune away from the stated frequency to get it to sound right. I recall that I read somewhere that you should tune down by 1.9kHz. But I think the key thing is to know what the signal should sound like and twiddle the knob a little until that's what you hear (here's the link to what it should sound like: WEFAX - Signal Identification Wiki)

2) I gave a link to a WMO page that listed the Northwood frequencies and schedule. Unfortunately they've removed that page, and a whole slew of really useful pages on GMDSS weather information (fax, navtex, rtty, satellite, VHF) across every navarea. It was a fantastic resource. But it seems to have gone.

steveeasy

Visit site
Ok reporting back. been trying with Black cat and simply no Joy. in a last ditch attempt I tried again this evening in the living room with my TECSUN and hey presto. Now no one told me to press the start tab did they. Silly me. Anyway the result was poor but im on the right tracks now. at least im getting something. Could not believe my luck.

Steveeasy

Slowboat35

Visit site
Steve, are you using a cable to connect the Tecsun to the whatever or just using speaker and mic? I got just about acceptable charts on my ipad using a tunable HF set on the internet, computer speaker and ipad mic. Background noise on a boat would render that method useless though.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Steve, are you using a cable to connect the Tecsun to the whatever or just using speaker and mic? I got just about acceptable charts on my ipad using a tunable HF set on the internet, computer speaker and ipad mic. Background noise on a boat would render that method useless though.
No it doesn’t . Ive done it that way plenty of times .

steveeasy

Visit site
Yes running aux cable from tecsun to laptop. No engine so should be fine.
Steveeasy