Safety Equipment.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
My 43 ft ketch is nearing completion so I'm starting to take an interest in communication, navigation and safety equipment.

I have been offered a RFD four man liferaft at a very good price but I have rejected it because it is classified as "Marine Coastal APPROVED" "Return for service 30.6.2016". It obviously has never been used as it is in a sealed hard valise. I'm told it was used by a marine rescue organisation but why are they tossing it out?

I know nothing about liferafts but now I'm wondering if I did the right thing by rejecting it? Maybe it can be upgraded for offshore use with (for example) additional equipment such as epirb?

Screenshot_2020-10-31 LIFERAFT RFD COASTAL 4 PERSON NSCV Life Rafts Marine Safety Safety - Sit...png

Last edited:

dankilb

Visit site
But isn’t it the case that the raft shouldn’t be much larger than the realistic (max) number on board? Otherwise aren’t they supposed to have an even even more uncomfortable motion and greater risk of flipping (without the weight of occupants etc.)?

So for a cruising couple, say, 4 might be right??

Sea-Fever

Visit site
Difficult to give an opinion on what LR arrangements the OP could consider without knowing how many persons on board. 2 x 4 person LR may be appropriate.....or 1 x 4 then rent another on the odd occasion of a larger crew.

'Upgrading' a LR with an EPIRB is a misunderstanding of what comes as standard on any LR, ocean or coastal. To my knowledge no LR comes with an electronic means to raise help.

Perhaps the OP could identify what the likely use of the boat will be with min/max crew, cruising grounds etc.

There will be those who believe that the money is better spent on preventing the need for a LR in the first place....which has some merit.

dansaskip

seabear.uk
You might find that an offshore liferaft has other features like an insulated floor and getting a liferaft serviced is not cheap, by the time you add it all up might be better to buy new - worth doing the sums before committing yourself.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
I take it you plan for more than a 4-person LR on a 43ft boat??

I don't think I would ever go on a long cruise with more than four crew.

But what about locally? Previously I was thinking of six man liferaft or even eight. But I have read as
dankilb says the liferaft shouldn't be too big.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
Difficult to give an opinion on what LR arrangements the OP could consider without knowing how many persons on board. 2 x 4 person LR may be appropriate.....or 1 x 4 then rent another on the odd occasion of a larger crew.

'Upgrading' a LR with an EPIRB is a misunderstanding of what comes as standard on any LR, ocean or coastal. To my knowledge no LR comes with an electronic means to raise help.

Perhaps the OP could identify what the likely use of the boat will be with min/max crew, cruising grounds etc.

There will be those who believe that the money is better spent on preventing the need for a LR in the first place....which has some merit.

I just had a look at the photo and it doesn't say anything about an epirb but I'm sure there is.

Yes, here it is
Also included in the Coastal Liferaft is an EPIRB, plus an interior and exterior light. The emergency equipment pack is comprehensively stocked with quality equipment.

I might buy it just for the epirb and as an additional liferaft for local waters.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
You might find that an offshore liferaft has other features like an insulated floor and getting a liferaft serviced is not cheap, by the time you add it all up might be better to buy new - worth doing the sums before committing yourself.
Yes what does it cost to service a liferaft. I'll do some research right now.

Why didn't the Sea Rescue people get it serviced? I think you are right in suggesting offshore liferafts have special features. But if I kept this raft just for a supplement to he offshore raft it wouldn't matter.

I think I will get it but only if servicing costs are reasonable.

dankilb

Visit site
I can’t claim any independent expertise on the risks of an oversized raft, other than what I’ve read online.

But I shivered when I recently heard that someone in our club/yard thought they’d bagged a ‘bargain’ of an out-of-date 8-person for their westerly 22 project! ? It’d be a bit of a ‘laff floating around off the coast in good conditions, but with a single person I bet you’d really regret it if/when actually needed in bad conditions (we’re in the North West so it’s the Irish Sea after all).

dankilb

Visit site
...incidentally we’ve got an old (8 year out of date, maybe?) raft that’s been sitting outside on the coach roof for god knows how long.

Originally I’d assumed we’d just have to bin it, perhaps after some fun ‘survival training’ in the marina! But I now wonder whether it could be okay?

I plan to inflate it and check the condition. If it’s okay, apparently they can be re-packed (carefully) DIY and there’s a place local to us that was mentioned in other posts that can supply the gas canister.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
I'm going to get it!
It was there this afternoon. I'll front up tomorrow morning and see if they still have it:D :D

around $280 to $300

Service fees are based on the raft model, capacity and equipment pack. Typical servicing charges of a four- or six-person life raft are around $280 to $300, excluding expired components, parts and cylinder recharge/test when required. Rafts can be serviced at authorised servicing agent locations around the world.
Life rafts for racing and cruising - MySailing.com.au

RJJ

Visit site
Easy to find out how much service would be. It won't be cheap but should give you three more years.

To state the obvious, a four-person liferaft can only accept max four people. If your intention is only to sail offshore with four people, while you might occasionally have extra (non-paying) guests for an inshore daysail, in my view that would be ok (subject to any legal conditions wherever you are). Solent racers are not required to carry a liferaft. You would typically have a dinghy which is adequate for a short time in sheltered waters, and the probability of a disaster is low.

My temptation is to go one size up and have the degree of flexibility to carry two guests if you want.

Regarding being "oversize" I think you can overstate it. If it came to 24-36 hours or more in the raft, you would find they are incredibly cramped when filled to capacity (plus grab bags, drinking water etc). Meanwhile the water ballast is basically the same.

Maybe a good next step is to do sea-survival training?

Bobc

Visit site
Buy a raft based on offshore use. So if when you do proper offshore/transocean, you have 2-4 people, then buy a 4 man raft. What you don't want is a big 6 man raft out in the mid-Atlantic or in Biscay with just 2 of you in it.

Forget the comment about Biscay. Just noticed where you are.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
I'VE HAD TO RESUBMIT THIS COMMENT THREE TIMES :mad:

I'm going to get it

around $280 to $300

Service fees are based on the raft model, capacity and equipment pack. Typical servicing charges of a four- or six-person life raft are around $280 to $300, excluding expired components, parts and cylinder recharge/test when required. Rafts can be serviced at authorised servicing agent locations around the world.
Life rafts for racing and cruising - MySailing.com.au

coopec

N/A
Visit site
RJJ
Maybe a good next step is to do sea-survival training?

Great idea: I thought of that.:cool:

But when I spoke to the instructor they can only practice in sheltered waters (because of their insurance)?

coopec

N/A
Visit site
Now I'm confused. I have just come across this advt. What life does a liferaft have? Is there a regulation I wonder?

Screenshot_2020-10-31 Free local classified ads.png

Screenshot_2020-10-31 Zodiac life raft 4 man Boat Accessories Parts Gumtree Australia Wanneroo...png