RIP John Goode

dom

Visit site
So sad,

A wonderful man and a great teacher who had an infectious love of sailing and life.

RIP

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Great teacher . I still have all his stuff from the PBO days.

He managed to communicate in the nicest possible way.

As mentioned, I will miss his enthusiasm for both life and sailing.

Wynn

Visit site
So sorry to hear this news. John was a truely inspiring man and I was lucky enough to have him as the examiner for my Yachtmaster exam. It is always going to be a nervous time waiting for the examiner to arrive but he put us at ease as soon as he stepped on the boat and throughout the time he spent onboard he was as keen to be passing on his experience as he was at examining. He will be greatly missed.

capnsensible

Visit site
Very sad news. He taught me masses of stuff with great humour and patience. Swept away the old fashioned sailing instruction methods and bought in a whole new way of keeping things simple.

Big respect for an innovator and charming chap.

RIP.

flaming

Visit site
Sad news. I knew John from my time working with the Boat Show, and we worked quite closely on the cruising chute demonstrator rig that was at Excel for a couple of years. He was less than impressed when I hijacked his rig to also run spinnaker demo sessions with Pip Hare... He didn't speak to me for a while but we got on ok most of the time.
Fascinating bloke with a lot of very good stories.

NealB

Visit site
I did a week-long YM practical and assessment, on board 'Southern Rival', with Southern Sailing in December '89.

Our instructor was a tall ship skipper, 'one-eyed Brian', but we spent the first evening in a pub at Hamble, when John came along to join us.

A down to earth, knowledgeable, approachable, enthusiast.

Sad news.

Last edited:

Poignard

Visit site
Gallivanter was a Carter 32. (According to my logbook)

I did a Day Skipper course in her in 1996 with Southern Sailing School . The very capable instructor was Charles Anderson.

If Gallivanter had been put on the market then, I might well have bought her; she was a fine boat.

NealB

Visit site
I think your logbook is wrong (sorry!).

I don't think there was a Carter 32.

They did the 30 (like Gallivanter), and the 33 (very much a scaled up 30).

I owned a 33 for a few years: a great boat.

Anyway: RIP John Goode.

Last edited: