Ramsholt Arms moorings status

Fozabog The Elder

Visit site
The Ramsholt Arms moorings appear to be permanently vacant. I’ve seen one boat tied up in the last two years.
Are they abandoned or just not used?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I believe they are individually privately owned, and that there is a committee of owners (and perhaps others) that regulate their use and changes in ownership. They were certainly fairly well used until about 3 years ago, when I was last there. I find it hard to believe they are all vacant, but I know some of the moorings' owners also have berths elsewhere.

The day to day oversight/management of the moorings, such as allocating vacant moorings to visitors, was undertaken by George, who was in attendance most of the time, and would seek a contribution to the RNLI in return for the loan of the mooring or a stay on the quay. He was based in a beached vessel by the quay, but that burnt down, and I think someone found him a caravan as a new office.

There are at least a couple of forumites who have moorings at Ramsholt, and hopefully they will be along shortly to give accurate and up to date info.

The land behind the quay, where the dinghies are stored, is owned by a local estate, and though there is some dispute about whether there are established rights to store dinghies there, the estate's agents will demand purchase of an annual licence to store a boat there.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
The Felixstowe Ferry Boatyard are advertising Moorings at Ramsholt ; do not know if they are offering to lay them or rent the out moorings laid; Mr Sailorman when able might be able to throw some light on the matter

Chae_73

Visit site
We previously rented a mooring at Ramsholt through Andrew at Felixstowe Ferry boatyard, as Capt Popeye says above. My impression at the time was that Andrew only had a small.number of mooring there, and that the others were either privately owned or belonged to the local estate, but I don't know that for sure.

They were certainly well used and there was a waiting list to get one.

CliveG

Visit site
Hi All
The Ramsholt Moorings are controlled by the Ramsholt Fairways Committee.
they rent out mooring spots to those who have applied for them.
The actual mooring kit belongs to the person renting the spot and they are responsible for the maintenance of the kit.
Obviously one needs a dinghy to get to the boat and the Estate charges for a licence to keep a dinghy on their land and for permission to drive over their land to access the area.
The launching ramp is maintained by the Committee.
George, the Harbour Master, is paid a gratuity by the Committee to carry out his duties.
If you want to use a mooring to visit the pub etc. Contact George (07930 304061) and he will allocate you a mooring that he knows is available.
He will ask for a donation to the RNLI for that.

To apply for a mooring spot one should 1st talk to George who will get you on the waiting list.
Places are allocated when someone gives up their spot.
As has been said some mooring holders do have their boats elsewhere but keep paying for their spot as they may well want to use it if the pennies get tight to pay for the much more expensive marina mooring.
I am having a year or so at Shotley but expect to return in a year or so.