Progress On My Dayboat

Seajet

Visit site
Lakesailor, what happens to the older Windermeres, at the bottom of the Lake ? Genuine question...

Round here in the Solent there are a few Keelboat Classes as you know, almost exclusively the domain of rich Admirals or looking up to their richer brethren, rarely changing hands.

I once came across a large ' coffee table ' book on the Solent Sunbeam class in the local library - quite possibly the best looking local one design with long overhangs etc, a wonderful A4+ book with many colour plates, apparently produced by the Sunbeam Class themselves, with the history of each boat, god knows what it cost !

Sadly the binding let it down but I expect that was quickly sorted.

The Windermere's are a similar but possibly longer spindlier boat, equally heart-wrenchingly good looking; anyone consigning one to the deep deserves being strapped to the next rocket launch by their Y fronts.

Last edited:

Lakesailor

Visit site
It used to be that the "gentlemen" who raced them would have a new boat built and scuttle the previous one. You wouldn't want to sell, a still pretty good boat, to a competitor.
The class rules are loose enough to allow all sorts of experiment.
When we came here there was a lovely boat for sale for about £1000.
I asked out butcher, (who raced a Class yacht) if it was any good as it seemed to have all the gear on board, like a ram to adjust the mast rake/bend etc.
He told me it had changed hands often and had a fortune spent on it but never became a fast boat. (He sold his own, a nice boat and quite old, for about £6K a couple of years ago)
Some are good in light airs, others work well in blustery weather.
They also break quite a lot as they are built to race and be light.

They reckon a top line new one will be in the £40,000 bracket. it's likely the one in the link was a bit more.

Last edited: