Plastimo 608-S drum refurb

PatrickB02

Visit site
Hi All,

Hoping for some help with refurbishing the drum of my Plastimo 608-S please.

This is what it looks like before opening it up:

Open up the top, and it looks like this:

And looking more closely into the bottom part of the drum:

As you can hopefully see, the grease inside is pretty rusty and manky, and the bearing seems to be seized. I would like to remove the bearing, clean everything up and repack it with clean grease, but I can't get the bearing to move. I would have expected it to be retained by a circlip, but I can't see anything like that.

So, what should I do next..? Is there a way of removing the bearing, or should I just dig out as much of the old grease as I can, fill with new and call it good..?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

VicS

Visit site
Thanks all for confirming that it is a Plastimo 608-S. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to proceed..?

I take it the bearing is pressed onto the central hub ?

how about a spell in the freezer to see if it will contact away from the bearing..

If not wash it out thoroughly in situ inspect and if serviceable regrease .

If its cream crackered can you get a replacement ?

AndrewL

Visit site
On the bottom part there is a ring just above the ball bearings close to the hub, it is possible that this retains the ball bearings in the ball race. When the bottom and top parts are bolted together this ring would be held in place. If so there is no reason why this ring would be locked in place, it could just be a tight fit. Then the balls could be removed and the ball race cleaned up.

When working on bikes where a bearing could not easily be disassembled I've washed the old grease out with diesel, washed with hot soapy water, dried and then added new grease. Obviously on a bike the hub was metal so using diesel was fine. Less effective, but safe on any plastic is a de-greaser such as " Weldtite Citrus Degreaser" which can be bought in bike shops. I imagine there are cheaper ways of buying it, there is a "bike premium" although it is less than the "yacht premium".

I mentioned earlier that I too have a 608S of a similar age. Due to a mast stepping foul-up yesterday in which several things got damaged my mast will be remaining down for a while. I have found my furler a bit stiff so I may take this opportunity to dismantle mine. From reading the manual I assumed the bearings were un-greased, but had not realised that the older model was different. If I discover anything useful I will let you know.

PatrickB02

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies so far.

Following a hint from the thread I linked to earlier, I have just spoken to the incredibly helpful Stewart at Seateach in Emsworth, who seems to know all there is to be known about these furlers. He confirms that there is no circlip or retaining ring, it is "just" a question of prising the bearing out. Apparently there is another bearing under the one visible, and he can do a replacement pair from stock for about £70.

For information, apparently it is a similar story with the top swivel unit. The top unscrews, and there are two bearings (smaller than those in the drum). Again, prise them out and he can do replacements (although not from stock) for about £45.

I will post another update when I have had another go at the drum, but hopefully this might be useful for AndrewL and maybe others in the meantime.

PatrickB02

Visit site
OK, here is an update on this evening's progress...

Firstly I was able to separate the metal base plate from the bottom of the drum, this is just a tight push fit:

This enabled me to push the centre of the drum up and out of the outer part:

...revealing the centre of the drum and the bearings in all their greasy glory..!

Followed by a good clean up:

...and a proper look at the bearings:

Finally, tap off the bearings:

..and that's it.

Now I just need to get hold of some replacement bearings, O-rings and nuts and bolts and I can start putting it back together again.

AndrewL

Visit site
This is a really helpful series of photos, thanks for taking the time to photo it all. I think I will definitely have a go at mine now. Good to know that the spares are available as well. Do you think there is any possibility of just replacing the ball bearings by extracting the old ones from the ball race, rather than buying the genuine replacements?

PatrickB02

Visit site
Do you think there is any possibility of just replacing the ball bearings by extracting the old ones from the ball race, rather than buying the genuine replacements?

I certainly couldn't do this on mine - they are pretty much rusted solid and need replacing completely.

I measured the bearings as 65x85x10 (internal diameter x external diameter x width, all in mm), and I have found some bearings that size on eBay for about £10 the pair. Probably not great quality, but if they will last half as long as the last set then they will see me out..!

Whilst I am at it I will probably replace the O-rings and nuts and bolts as well, for the few quid extra it will cost.

AndrewL

Visit site
I've managed to remove the lower half of the drum, containing the bearings, while leaving the upper half riveted to the foil. You could actually do this with the mast up and furler attached if you stayed the mast forward with a halyard and disconnected the forestay. The drum passed over the bottle screw fine.

The bearings are a very tight fit on the shaft, it took a gear puller and plenty of PlusGas but they both came off in the end. The upper bearing, although gunked in old grease still spins, the lower does not. I am currently soaking it in diesel hoping to free it. PatrickB02, could you send the link to the bearings you found on ebay, I've not had much luck?

The slider on the foil to which the sail head attaches still spins freely. I opened it up and the bearings are shiny but dry. I am wondering if these should be greased or maybe just a dry teflon lube? Perhaps the lowers are packed full of grease to keep out sea water, which should not be a concern for the upper.

Does anyone have the manual for this version of Plastimo 608, the current incarnation is clearly very different.

AndrewL

Visit site
Thanks for sending the links for the bearings.

In the end I got the bearings freed up and spinning nicely. However ... I had the time to refurbish the drum because I had managed to bend one of the roller furler foils and I knew it would take a while to sort out. Today I removed the bent section of foil from the roller furler by drilling out the rivets. I discovered that several parts would need replacing and the cost of the new foil and various spares would be a decent percentage of a new Plastimo 609. I've decided to bite the bullet and buy a new one. My 608 must be at least 20 years old, I don't think it is worth spending £150+ and lots more time on something of that age when you consider an entire new one can be bought for around £350.

The current Plastimo RRs are screwed together not riveted and according to the guy at seateach the holes do not line up, although otherwise the foil sections are identical.

This means that I have all the spares for a Plastimo 608S. The ball bearing races, now I've cleaned them up, are in a serviceable condition, they spin quite freely. I'll keep all the bits for a while so if anyone needs something send me a PM.

PatrickB02

Visit site
This means that I have all the spares for a Plastimo 608S. The ball bearing races, now I've cleaned them up, are in a serviceable condition, they spin quite freely. I'll keep all the bits for a while so if anyone needs something send me a PM.

Thanks for the offer, Andrew, but I got my new bearings etc from Amazon and have now reassembled my 608. It all seems to be working much more smoothly than before, but of course I won't know for sure until I get the mast back up and try it in anger. .!

joséjones

Visit site
@AndrewL , I know this is a really old thread but I'm interested to know what lube you ended up selecting for you furler bearings?

I have been restoring my Plastimo 608-S and when I opened it up, the previous owner had packed it full of axle grease and it was pretty foul. I have cleaned it all off and the bearings spin like a dream but I have had conflicting reports about what to lubricate it with. Several people have said that they are Torlon bearings and should not be lubricated at all, whereas others have suggested winch grease or lithium grease. The bearings may be synthetic but the race they run in seems to be steel so I would imagine that some form of lubricant would be required although the heavy grease that I cleaned off just seems to solidify in salt water.

Finally, I have found an assembly and service manual on the web if anybody is still looking for one.

Cheers,

joe

chris-s

Visit site
How well timed! My 608 is sat in pieces on the workbench after taking the mast down last weekend. My bearings are made up from alternating Delrin and steel balls with no lubrication or grease which is exactly as I understand it is supposed to be. The only reason for disassembling mine was to check it over and give it a clean out, I doubt it's been done before.

A link to the service manual would be appreciated.