Notices to Mariners Week 13

tillergirl

Visit site
UKHO Permanent/Preliminary/Temporary Notices

1. New Editions of ADMIRALTY Charts published 26 March 2020 - Chart 1186 - International Chart Series, England - East Coast, River Thames, Canvey Island to Tilbury. A Canvey Island to Coalhouse Point. B Coalhouse Point to Tilbury. - Includes changes to depths from the latest Port of London Authority surveys. : Chart 2151 - International Chart Series, England - East Coast, River Thames, Tilbury to Margaret Ness. - Includes changes to depths from the latest Port of London Authority surveys. : Chart 3683 - England - East Coast, Sheerness and Approaches. Sheerness. - Includes changes to depths from the latest Peel Ports Medway and Port of London Authority surveys.
2. ENGLAND - East Coast - Depth. - One small reduction of depth on the Winterton Ridge (off shore Happisburgh). Unlikely to hinder leisure craft.
3. ENGLAND - East Coast - Depths. Drying heights. - An extensive preliminary notice of 13 reduced depths and 10 new drying heights in the southern part of the Thames Estuary: 7 changes in and around the Long Sand and Tizard Bank, 11 changes on the Shingles and the Ridge Sand and Pan Sand (sound of the Princes Channel), and 5 changes on the Margate Sand. These changes require three chartlets: Some of the changes are dramatic but are generally not in the usual routes for leisure craft.
4. ENGLAND - East Coast - Drying heights. Depths. - This permanent notice repeats 13 of the reduced depths or drying heights in the previous preliminary notice. But it has 14 reduced depths so it includes one extra. I have added that ‘extra’ depth to the image illustrated. See if you can spot it!
5. ENGLAND - East Coast - Depths. - Two reduced depths right in the middle of the Yantlet Channel, River Thames between Sea Reach No 6 and No 8. Ample water for leisure craft.
6. ENGLAND - East Coast - Mooring buoys. - Two ship mooring buoys removed in Kethole Reach, River Medway. This had been notified vide Medway local notices No 15/2020 in week 11.
7. ENGLAND - East Coast - Depths. - This preliminary notice repeats the first two reduced depths in the earlier preliminary notice above. The point of this is to notify the change for a different chart (viz 1975).
8. ENGLAND - East Coast - Depth. - This is more about doing the housework than notifying a change of depth. It is a preliminary notice about Chart 1186 for a reduced depth in the middle of Yantlet Channel which is covered in NtM 1650 above – which is for Chart 1185.

Local

1. RIVER THAMES - LOWER HOPE REACH - CLIFFE PUMPING STATION FLOATING PIPELINE - On or about the 13th March 2020 a 184-metre floating pipe line will be installed at Cliffe Pumping Station in Lower Hope Reach to take dredged material from the forthcoming dredging campaign at Thames Oil Port undertaken by the Trailer Suction Head Dredger STRANDWAY. The pipeline will be delivered to the site by the tug BALOE and assisted by the GPS BATTLER from the Medway Buoy inwards. The tug and tow will display lights and shapes in accordance with International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea 1972 (as amended) rule 27b. The pipeline will be lit by number of fixed white lights and guarded by the multicat GPS BATTLER throughout the operation maintaining a listening watch on VHF Channel 68 throughout. The pipeline will be anchored to the riverbed with the tail end laying with the tide as shown below. Each anchors will be fitted with a retrieval line and two buoys. More details and loads of images in the Temporary List in my usual page: Notices to Mariners
2. RIVER THAMES - GRAVESEND REACH - TILBURY2 MARINE WORKS - This notice supersedes L55 of 2019 - Final stages of marine works are now taking place for the creation of two new RoRo berths and a CMAT berth on the former Tilbury Power Station Jetty site. The jack-up barge SKYLIFT is currently on site for the installation of the pontoon restraint piles which expected to take approximately 7 to 10 days. During the week commencing 16th March 2020 the linkspan bridge and pontoon are expected to be installed followed by commissioning works. At times during the construction works the jetty lights will not be displayed as per published nautical charts. The eastern and western limits of the works will be marked by green aids to navigation at all times. Isolated structures will be marked individually. Charts will be updated on completion of the works. Throughout the works periods there will be requirements for vessels to ‘Proceed with Caution’ with this being broadcast by London VTS on VHF Channel 68 in conjunction with marine craft displaying International Code flags “Romeo Yankee”. All vessels involved with the works will maintain a continuous listening watch on VHF Channel 68.
3. Whitaker No 3 Lighted Buoy, River Crouch - Whitaker No 3 Lighted Buoy in position: 51˚ 40.424’N 001˚ 04.719’E is unlit.
4. The River Great Ouse, South of King’s Lynn - Islington Pumping Station, Construction Works - Mariners are advised that the construction of a new drainage pumping station with an associated outfall will be undertaken during 2020 on the West Bank of the River Great Ouse at Islington, between the Smeeth Lode and Mill Basin outfalls, approximately 1000m north of the St Germans Bridge. There will also be additional works to the existing outfall structures nearby, some of which will continue until the summer of 2021. These works will involve operations on the riverbank and for a short distance out into the river with large plant and machinery. All river users, including swimmers and paddlers are to keep well clear of the construction site at all times as some of the works may be covered at high tide and unusual currents or eddies may be experienced. Warning signs will be displayed to the north & south of the works, and any temporary obstructions in the river will be marked by marker buoys. Works on the construction of the new pumping station outfall will commence on 31st March 2020 and continue until 31st December 2020. Works on the Eau Brink Outfall will commence on 1st June 2020 and continue until 30th August 2020. For further information please contact Balfour Beatty Project Manager on 07967 578420.
5. Port of Ramsgate - PORT CONTROL - TRAFFIC CONTROL LIGHTS - we are currently experiencing intermittent faults with the Ramsgate entry / exit traffic control lights. Rectification works are underway, however, in the meantime please contact Port Control on VHF Channel 14 or 68 when entering or leaving the Harbour.

No news of dredging at Wells!!!

westhinder

Visit site
It has been mentioned over on Scuttlebutt, but as some may not have seen it, I would like to add that the Belgian ministry of Transport has outlawed all sailing activities within Belgian territorial waters due to the corona contingency. That applies both to organised activities and to individuals sailing a boat. This measure remains in force until 3 April.

westhinder

Visit site
Seems a little draconian? Foreigners maybe worth excluding.
It is draconian and you would be forgiven if you failed to see the logic behind it. But as we have entered a period of blanket bans and people wanting to do their bit, this was to be expected. The government imposes a ban on organised recreational sports and a civil servant applies it without due consideratio.
But it has just got even worse. The government has banned all non-essential journeys, which means I can no longer drive to the harbour (100 km) to prepare the boat for the season.

tillergirl

Visit site
Umm, yes, understand. I am regarding 'going down to the boat' (in the Club boat park) is included in our self-isolation. Breaking the rule a little as there were 5 owners working on their boats yesterday (4 ancients) but effectively in our own personal isolation zones. One neighbour one side has already gone back in, the other boat this week, so I will have a nice wide zone. But once afloat I would need to use the Club launch! I suppose I could dig out the flubber out of the shed.

The reality is the threat is a once in a lifetime event - if that common.

PS. I understand the civil service logic. Exceptions to bans get abused/need to be 'policed' etc, etc. There are other things to worry about.

johnalison

Visit site
The European mindset can be excessively bureaucratic at times. I like to think that we can tell the difference between organised sport and a few individuals sailing, cycling or playing with balls in the open air. I got the impression that out government agrees and doesn't want to impose sanctions that will have no effect. I drove half an hour to the boat today to prepare it for its annual lift-out. Apart from a distant contact with the marina office, I met nobody and don't feel that I have done anything reckless or irresponsible. Titchmarsh tell me that they are happy to keep an eye on boats and feed the meters for owners who find themselves unable to attend.