Navionics charts / IPAD

AIDY

www.ybw.com
Just bought a new IPAD. am I right in thinking that I can just download the navionics HD charts and that all I need to have an additional chart plotter onboard ?

I have an IPAD with wifi and 3g (new one with retina screen), but I don't have a sim card for it.

is there anything else I need ???? apart from £37.99 from the apple store

forelle541

Visit site
There are a couple of add one that cost a few quid each. I would also buy a data sim from flea bay just over a tenner for 3gb over 3 months.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Buy the nav module for £3 as an add-on. I haven't found out what the chart data add-on does yet. Free chart downloads for life and better than a standard plotter makes it a compelling package.

AIDY

www.ybw.com
Buy the nav module for £3 as an add-on. I haven't found out what the chart data add-on does yet. Free chart downloads for life and better than a standard plotter makes it a compelling package.

thanks downloaded charts and all working.

not found the nav module to download is it a separate app

AIDY

www.ybw.com
Someone may tell us what the advanced maps option actually does but the nav module is a real bargain, turns the pad into a full function plotter.

will download the add on's in the morning does the module give you lat and long / sog / cog etc....

advanced maps looks like it shades different depth areas of the map ????? will buy it and report back

Visit site
Just bought a new IPAD. am I right in thinking that I can just download the navionics HD charts and that all I need to have an additional chart plotter onboard ?

I have an IPAD with wifi and 3g (new one with retina screen), but I don't have a sim card for it.

is there anything else I need ???? apart from £37.99 from the apple store

seems daft not to have a 3.com simpad at £10 for 1 gb for a month when you have an IPad costing several hundred

Colvic Watson

Visit site
iPhone with unlimited data and hotspot data costs us £34pm with 3. It acts as a wife hotspot for both pads and saves on data costs for them plus it's a phone contract as well. The iPhone and iPad are a great combo, I love it how their stuff just works.

ionbard

Visit site
One thing which I miss in the Navionics apps (which I think are otherwise pretty good for the money, particularly the HD iPad one) is information regarding the status of satellites - ie how many are 'visible', how accurate the position fix is etc. This is standard information available on a 'proper' GPS unit or chart plotter. I imagine there must be an app which provides this information but have yet to find it... any suggestions, anyone?

davidej

Visit site
Any of you experts know about Android based tablets?

I am a bit of a cheapskate and was thinking of buying a nexus7

I beleive the navionics will work on these -their website says it will although i beleive some people have reported difficulties.

What will an Ipad do that the nexus won't? I am afraid I am getting left behind with all these new gismos.

Pagetslady

Visit site
Open navionics and go to the menu, you will see upgrades and apps in the menu.

Ok I have just got my ipad today it's great but when I go to navionics site. The only choice I get is to download or upgrade then it asks me to plug in my chart. I have been having considerable problems on my laptop trying to. Update my navionics gold chart but I was hoping to be able to do as you seem to have done and installed the app on my new ipad. I have the ipad 4 with 64 gb 3G and wifi help please. I have already bought from iTunes the navionics chart for uk and holland but still no detail.?

fuss

Visit site
It seems to me that if you have the Navionics app then you need an internet connection to see detail for an area you have not displayed before. I have tested this by switching off the wifi and then zooming in on a new area/harbour. There is no detail to be seen. Then switching on the wifi and zooming in again displays the detail. This is not clear in the help/faqs etc.
Anyone found differently?

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Ok I have just got my ipad today it's great but when I go to navionics site. The only choice I get is to download or upgrade then it asks me to plug in my chart. I have been having considerable problems on my laptop trying to. Update my navionics gold chart but I was hoping to be able to do as you seem to have done and installed the app on my new ipad. I have the ipad 4 with 64 gb 3G and wifi help please. I have already bought from iTunes the navionics chart for uk and holland but still no detail.?
You need to go to menu and "download map". You draw on the screen the area you want and once selected it downloads. The reason it doesn't automatically download the whole UK is because of the space it would use in your iPad memory.

ditchcrawler

Visit site
The nav module is worth having ,but the chart data add on is in my opinion a waste of time.It designates areas where you can fish and produces a dotted area in a depth that you specify.However it doesn't go below two metres although it will allow you to designate a one meter area but mine doesn't work at that level.