• REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as YBW, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health and liberty is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Users who are found to post FAKE NEWS on the forum in regard to this issue, intentional or otherwise, may find their access terminated. It is your responsibility to provide references to bona fide sources.

Mirror dinghy.

DownWest

oh, thought it said sailing and swinging......
Better get planting pampas grass in your front garden..

I have met several of the people in the vid, and they have fun with dinghy cruising. Bit of an event down here in Sept.

Paul HD

My Mirror dinghy was built for racing and the guy didn't install rowlocks. So I took the re-inforcement parts from the donor dinghy and installed them. It turned out OK for my first time in trying something like this.
This was my first step in taking the Mirror more towards the cruising style than racing.
Cheers,
Paul.

ashtead

Did you align the screw heads after installing? Hope you have a pair of genuine Mirror paddles and will be painting the blades soon to match the hull.

Paul HD

Did you align the screw heads after installing? Hope you have a pair of genuine Mirror paddles and will be painting the blades soon to match the hull.
I didn't.:unsure: Is that a good luck thing or a way of telling if a screw is coming loose at a glance?

I don't think the paddles that I got secondhand are genuine Mirror paddles, I think they are longer than originals.

ashtead

Just to streamline them in direction of travel but yes it does show if any are coming lose . The original paddles looked more like poles with plywood trays on the end when compared with standard oars with leather to fit the rowlocks.

Paul HD

Looking at the earlier video and pictures on the net it looks like I may have Mirror paddles.
I will make sure I line up the screws. (y)

Paul HD

So does the elasticated chord go around the front or over the top of the dagger board?

dunedin

Elastic goes over the top to hold the dagger board down when sailing upwind, and round the back to hold the board part or fully up when sailing downwind. Never round the front.
Clearly less of an issue when just using a short infill board for motoring.

Paul HD

Thanks for the quick reply. (y)
It never occurred to me that it would be used to keep the full length board up.

Cheers,
Paul.