Med boaters - will you get to your boat this year?

John100156

Visit site
Come on chaps we need to be more positive, where is the Porto that was always so happy and posted up lovely pictures. what has C19 done to this man....

He mentioned not taking the wife and kids out to assist in mending the boat: 3, 5 and 7 years old, have you seen the havoc they can reap on a house without mum and dad at home applying the hand of correction to seats of learning.....

We will all be out again soon, then we can start moaning about all the jobs we need to do instead of medical insurances and C19

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Yep, more vagueness from the govt. Its clearly OK (ie not illegal) to go for leisure purposes if you understand and accept the risks involved. Including the position your travel insurance might take if called upon to pay out for something

Up to you to understand the risks you are taking and the make a decision.

I expect I'll be going to majorca in the summer, assuming things either stay the same or get better.
Agreed. I have taken out travel insurance that specifically covers us when travelling against government advice. Our original insure and go policy did not provide that cover.

Hurricane

Visit site
I haven't read the traffic light system lately. For Amber country, I assume that you will need a PCR Covid test before leaving . If so, there is a problem with timings. For example a friend has just changed his Brittany Ferries booking from departing on a Tuesday because he can't get guaranteed test results back in time after the weekend. And some of the private testing companies are charging eyewateringly high prices.

Portofino

Visit site
The way I understand it the U.K. are using the per / 100 k infection rate , hospital headroom , and vaccination program progress .
The rate number currently is 100 or lower to qualify for green .UKs now 15 as a base line .
Portugal s yesterday was 25 Green
Frances 209Amber
Spains 98A
Italys 125 A
Gibraltar s 9 G
Norway 51 G
Greece 107 A
Turkey 246 Red see other criteria

Its all gonna be reviewed by and re announced on the 17 th May ,then every 21 days there after , so the next look at it is 7/8 th June which sync s with Macrons release date .

Spain looks certain to qualify as was 98 ( near enough 100 for Amber but remember the other two criteria)
France at 209 has a way to go but do able if they turn up for vaccine , but on the other hand yesterday they had 22000 new cases and in most regions there is little if any hospital headroom - shipping folk about with 222 dead a day still , about the 1% avg number banded about . The negative s here are the vax hesitancy and typical french lax rule obedience to restrictions, they are still mixing spreading it .

Italy should get under the line as I know they are going strong on the vax side no government induced hesitancy and they are good obedient restrictions takers .

So scientifically the major boating destinations should make squeak green mid June .

Once Green the FO guidance changes your insurance validates .

So really nothing has changed since my view in March ......Mid June ish , except it’s been quantified now with science ....I think ? :unsure:

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I haven't read the traffic light system lately. For Amber country, I assume that you will need a PCR Covid test before leaving . If so, there is a problem with timings. For example a friend has just changed his Brittany Ferries booking from departing on a Tuesday because he can't get guaranteed test results back in time after the weekend. And some of the private testing companies are charging eyewateringly high prices.
Yes, that’s a problem particularly on the longer ferry crossings. I’m guessing that Brittany Ferries are realising this as in their latest covid announcement yesterday they say they are looking into provision of a test facility. It can get expensive especially when ferries are cancelled due to bad weather.

Asm

Visit site
I’ve posted on this before, as Spain require the test to be timed on arrival, it’s tricky (impossible on the two night crossing?) I’m planning to get the quicker LAMP test (90 mins) which is acceptable for entry into Spain. It’s available at a few airports by a company called Collinson. The only wrinkle so far, is that Spain refers to the test as RT-LAMP, collinson, LAMP, getting them to agree it’s one and the same is like ‘pulling teeth’

Hooligan

Visit site
This bit is worrying, will travel insurance companies use it to say no cover? Will be calling Topsail next week to see what they make of it.

This refers to after the 17th:
"You should not travel to amber list or red list countries or territories for leisure purposes"

Red, amber and green list rules for entering England

And of course medical insurance is now compulsory to enter EU as the EHIC/GHIC does not cover repatriation
On May 17 you do not need to fill out a departure declaration form for travelling to any country. It also says you should not travel to an amber or red list country for leisure. This is totally different er from can not. Ergo no one can stop you travelling post May 17 if you wish to. Incidentally having travelled into Europe post brexit on business I should add, not once have I been asked for insurance. I never heard of this requirement. My understanding is that reciprocal health care re
That still doesn’t mean it’s the law.
Correct. Should is advisory not statutory. In addition one does not have to filll a form out. This means the airlines will not ask. Re insurance it is my understanding that we have reciprocal rights on healthcare to Europe ergo the actual necessity for private healthcare is not there. Of course some may wish to have it and I believe that too is still possible at a price of course.

Hooligan

Visit site
I am going to check out the boat and get it ready for the summer on May 18 th. only pain is having to isolate on way back to U.K. as Italy is Amber. Having spent a year working from home I see little problem with 5 days isolation. The worst bit is the unbelievable rip off being inflicted on us by testers.

julians

Visit site
I am going to check out the boat and get it ready for the summer on May 18 th. only pain is having to isolate on way back to U.K. as Italy is Amber. Having spent a year working from home I see little problem with 5 days isolation. The worst bit is the unbelievable rip off being inflicted on us by testers.
Yes it's a bit pricey.

3 tests required to get back to the UK if you've been in an Amber country.

First test in the 3 days before you leave the country you are in, can be a cheaper lateral flow test.

Second test on day 2 after.yoi arrive in the UK, must be pcr test

Third test on day 8 after you arrive on UK, must be pcr test.

Govt website has a list of approved suppliers and prices for tests 2 and 3, they seem to range from £140-£350 per person for both tests.

Hopefully the airports, airlines and holiday firms will offer a cheaper set of tests

And the above doesn't include a test for getting out of the UK into your country of choice if one is needed.

Even if you're in a green country, you still need to take a test in the 3 days before you leave and another test 2 days after you arrive in UK. So even the green country conditions are pretty onerous.

Can't see the travel industry taking this without kicking up a fuss, hopefully the rules will relax a little over the next few weeks

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
I know you are all desperate to come but let me just say, it was madness on the water today. If this is a portent of the summer, it’s going to be crazy

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I know you are all desperate to come but let me just say, it was madness on the water today. If this is a portent of the summer, it’s going to be crazy

What do you mean madness? There can't be many foreign boaters there. Yes I suspect that July/August will be bedlam when the great unwashed from the UK and other countries arrive en masse to make up for lost time on the water

Youre just trying to put us off arent you?

Bouba

Visit site
What do you mean madness? There can't be many foreign boaters there. Yes I suspect that July/August will be bedlam when the great unwashed from the UK and other countries arrive en masse to make up for lost time on the water

Youre just trying to put us off arent you?
I want you lot here, honest! But they have staycationers here as well. Plus it was the first decent boat day since the lockdown travel limit was lifted. And it maybe a holiday weekend. But whatever the reason it was jumping. It’s quite fun watching all the boaty activities from the safety of Porquerolle port but not such fun when it’s time to join them for the journey home

Hurricane

Visit site
Just to "rub it in"

Off the UK Devon coast right now.
Looks like brand new motor boats on the one on the right.
Sorry about the pic quality - only had the mobile phone.

20210510_174211.jpg

Checked on the AIS
Guess where they are heading???
Palma!!!

Hurricane

Visit site
where was your drone? Could have had some close ups :)
I did think about it but I was busy with other stuff at the time.
And it would have been an excellent flight for the Mavic Air 2.
BTW - I bought the new Air 2 and it has now been superseded by the Air 2S!!
That said, I'm not sure that the extra is all that worthwhile - at least thats what I tell myself!!