Liveaboard Blogs and Websites

Cardo

www.yacht-tinkerbell.co.uk
We will shortly be departing on our travels and as with many others we have a blog that will hopefully be kept up to date. Our blog is likely to be very similar to the thousands of others, however it is mainly aimed at friends and family, as well as a record of our own.
For anyone who may be curious:
http://www.yacht-tinkerbell.co.uk/
This has been documenting our preparations for our travels and will document the travels themselves.

Cardo

Good luck Cardo as you set sail! I see you have a Southerly as well. Are you going to try the Canals on your way south?

Paul & Sheryl
Distant Shores II - British Virgin Islands
www.distantshores.ca

Paul and/or Sheryl,
We are indeed heading down the canals. It was pretty handy to watch your video you played at the Southerly owner's dinner a few months back. We should have it slightly easier as our 105 is nowhere near as beamy as Distant Shores II. :D

distant shores

Visit site
Mobile Website!

I have TOTALLY redone our website and just managed to get it uploaded. (2000 files whew...) The job has taken a couple of weeks and the internet here at anchor isn't very fast...

It is now a "responsive" page so it should reformat itself to work properly on tablets and phones as well as on laptops, desktops with bigger screens.

Any comments are welcome!

www.distantshores.ca

Paul Shard
SV Distant Shores II - British Virgin Islands

Cardo

Mobile Website!

I have TOTALLY redone our website and just managed to get it uploaded. (2000 files whew...) The job has taken a couple of weeks and the internet here at anchor isn't very fast...

It is now a "responsive" page so it should reformat itself to work properly on tablets and phones as well as on laptops, desktops with bigger screens.

Any comments are welcome!

www.distantshores.ca

Paul Shard
SV Distant Shores II - British Virgin Islands

Paul,
Had a quick look on my iPad. It's looking very nice. Just one thing I noticed, the box with the tweets on the right hand side doesn't display correctly. The text is cut off on the right.

Cardo

Thanks Cardo, Is that an iPad 1,2, retina? We have an original 1 that works OK it seems...

"New" iPad. So iPad 3 with retina screen, just before the Lightning connector model.
Here's a screenshot:
ds.JPG

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Hi all

Vic and Christine on our Dufour 385 With our crew ship cat Eddie and Sam the ship dog , we been full time liveabourd , this is our 4th year at the moment we in Greece but we are thinking of headed out to Corsica and Sardinia for a chance if we don't we be heading to Turkey.

www.bluewatersailor4.webs.com

Aquarella

www.elizabethtyler.com
Hi everybody
For those who don't already know, I've started a blog about taking up the challenge of sailing alone after having lost the captain in my life. With only a week to go before I'm back on the boat in Greece I'm busy packing and unpacking and making preparations and long to-do lists before I go. I'm so grateful to all the fellow sailors on this forum who have given me encouragement, advice, tips and ideas.
You can see how my efforts go here: http://yachtswoman.blogspot.se/

lurob

Visit site
Hi everybody
For those who don't already know, I've started a blog about taking up the challenge of sailing alone after having lost the captain in my life. With only a week to go before I'm back on the boat in Greece I'm busy packing and unpacking and making preparations and long to-do lists before I go. I'm so grateful to all the fellow sailors on this forum who have given me encouragement, advice, tips and ideas.
You can see how my efforts go here: http://yachtswoman.blogspot.se/

Wishing you all the very best in your challenge.
Lu
www.peteandlu.wordpress.com

Galaxy

Visit site
Here is my blog. It is new and still a work in progress.

http://5kidsandaboat.com/

The true and documented journey of a family with 5 kids, starting out knowing nothing about boating, and the learning path to becoming liveaboard cruisers.

rainy day bounce.jpg

LandM

Visit site
We have just (a month ago today!!) moved on board, starting the liveaboard life and hoping to go around the world! Haven't got far yet (Conwy to Moelfre via 2 weeks in the Menai Straits), but on our way north soon. Two of us and three cats!

The website is very much in its infancy but if you look and like it let us know....at the moment it's mostly about the boat but we will add info about the re-fit and about sailing with animals as well as other info if we think it might help people who embark on this life after us. Learn from our mistakes, of which there have already been a few!

Www.pensiongames.org

snorkmaiden

Visit site
I write a summer (b)log - not much 2011 / 12 - fairly dismal sailing seasons but earlier seasons OK.
This is quite a personal one, but there may be some useful info. on
CHANNEL CROSSINGS, FRENCH ATLANTIC COAST, MAINTENANCE, KIT - also observations, emotions, politics....
http://snorkmaidenlog.blogspot.fr/
Anyway - you're welcome. Positive and informative comments only, please. I hesitate to add it, but destination-wise I really do find some blogs useful.
I am also minded to put technical info. on my website
www.thesea.co.uk

snorkmaiden

Visit site
And for any of you interested in the politics and ecology of the future, try this
http://howtosurvivethefuture.org/about-2/

Naomi and Sam are battling the weather and sailing inexperience on a small boat (JOKER, 26' junk rigged) to explore survival strategies for the future. Naomi takes photographs, writes and is a talented documentary maker. Highly recommended.

demonboy

www.youtube.com
Followtheboat has gone completely responsive!

We've completely redesigned our blog so that it is now 'responsive'. What does this mean? Basically our new stripped-down and extra funky website can now be viewed on your phone or tablet as well as on your computer. Even if we say so ourselves, it's looking pretty damn cool!

As more internet users view the web through touch-screen devices, including iPads, smartphones and Galaxy tablets, so web designers have had to rethink design approaches to accommodate different screen sizes. Without boring you with technical details our new design will stretch and squish according to your screen size. If you have a tablet or smart phone, take a look; touch-scrolling on the new followtheboat website is a joy to use. And if you still use a computer, try resizing the screen and refreshing the page to see what happens. It's all clever stuff.

The new design means:

• viewable on any device
  • easier navigation
  • comment on our website via your Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google account - there's loads to choose from
  • more ways for us to format our blog posts
  • all blog categories now appear under 'Blog' (http://www.followtheboat.com/blog/)
  • quick link to latest post
  • interactive map of our sailing locations (http://www.followtheboat.com/map/)
  • separate Media section for easier access to our videos, apps, podcasts and profiles
  • easier to share to your social media websites
  • main comments section reinstated (same link as contact page)
  • add images and html to your comments
  • a contacts page with email forms and links to our email updates and RSS feed (http://www.followtheboat.com/contact/)
  • other sailing blogs reinstated - if you have one, feel free to add it in (http://www.followtheboat.com/friends/)
  • search bar that actually works
  • new Portfolio category of our commissioned work (still filling in the gaps)
  • quick links to our own websites and other social media websites

We'd love to hear your feedback, especially if you use a touch-screen device. Use the reinstated comments page for your thoughts. If you're still using a computer, does it work ok? Or do you wish you had a tablet to pinch and scroll your way through followtheboat?

Followtheboat - New Responsive Design

Yacht Mollymawk

www.yachtmollymawk.com
Our website was set up by my son, Caesar, who was then aged 14. He and his younger sisters have never been to school - they were born during our travels and have spent their whole lives cruising - and so the idea was to give them an opportunity to practice various skills, including computing and writing.
Eight years on, Caesar is still building websites, but most of the writing is done by Mum.

Articles on the website cover such varied topics as, which lifejacket, how to build a mast, why environmentalists don't eat meat, and learning to scuba dive.
There are also lots of nature-related articles (many of them written by our youngest crew member, Roxanne), and there are articles about cruising venues (eg. Canary Islands, Cape Verdes, Brazil, Caribbean.)

Roughly 25% of our readers use tablets and phones to view the site, and so it has recently been optimised for such devices.
(Btw, If anybody wants a similar site, the dot-com officer would be happy to help.)

Jill
www.yachtmollymawk.com

distant shores

Visit site
Our website was set up by my son, Caesar, who was then aged 14. He and his younger sisters have never been to school - they were born during our travels and have spent their whole lives cruising - and so the idea was to give them an opportunity to practice various skills, including computing and writing.
Eight years on, Caesar is still building websites, but most of the writing is done by Mum.

Roughly 25% of our readers use tablets and phones to view the site, and so it has recently been optimised for such devices.
(Btw, If anybody wants a similar site, the dot-com officer would be happy to help.)

Jill
www.yachtmollymawk.com

Wow, I'm very impressed! Site is fun, clean and beautifully laid out - working well on even iPhone sized screens.

As someone who has recently gone through the "responsive website" conversion process I would like to congratulate Caesar!! Well done!!

Paul Shard
www.distantshores.ca