Holman 26 Keel Bolt Replacement

FinesseChris

Visit site
Getting keel bolts out can be quite a fight. Here’s a write-up with pictures of what we had to do on our Finesse 24 to replace hers...

Finesse 24 Sailing Yacht

The Finesse had the added complication of having to remove the centreplate case to access the bolts along each side of the slot.

Bill
Good to see a Finesse being well cared for!

FinesseChris

Visit site
A small bit of thread drift... Ref. The Finesse 24..I read your keelbolt replacement procedure with interest and looks like a very good job. You noted some degrading of the inner end of the stern tube timber. Forgive me for commenting but you perhaps relate the damage to the anode not being properly connected to the stern tube. I note that you fitted the anode back and carefully connected everything up. The reason the timber degraded in the first place is usually a direct resut of having an anode connected . What has probably happened is that the connection gradually deteriorated after the damage was done.. This damage will almost certainly continue with the new anode connected with additional damage at the plank internal where the anode is planted. The indicator of damage will be a gradual increase of white crud around the internal housing and the anode fastenings. Basically as the anode works a strong alkaline base chemical surrounds the protected metal and destroys the timber. The white crud is often mistaken for dried up salt, which it definitely is not. Consider cutting the electrical connections to protect the timber. Anodes can and often do cause serious damage to timber vessels.
Thanks John that is very good to know about. I will take a look at my Finesse – though the single anode was disconnected when I bought her (2001) and nothing's changed since....

Dan Tribe

Visit site
So cool to know of another owner of a "Nymphette" These are two photos of my my Tucker Brown Holman 26... Canwodeon Witch Built in 1962 PM me I have an article on them, v. interestingView attachment 97721View attachment 97722
I just rowed past Canewdon Witch on the
So cool to know of another owner of a "Nymphette" These are two photos of my my Tucker Brown Holman 26... Canwodeon Witch Built in 1962 PM me I have an article on them, v. interestingView attachment 97721View attachment 97722
I just rowed past Canewdon Witch at Pin Mill. She looks even better in real life than in the photos.