GGR 22

dunedin

Visit site
The ghost track is of the fastest boat that would have won rather than the one that won by default . I can see some logic in that. Last race had the track of rkj
Maybe someone decided boats up to 1988 with long keels were the most seaworthy and strongest giving an added safety factor ? They are the least likely to suffer rudder problems due to objects in the water and no chance of encapsulated keels falling off. The rest being down to the skill of the skipper, and luck.
Wasn’t the fastest track that didn’t complete the course of the original race that of the trimaran of Nigel Tetley, rather than Moitessier - Nigel Tetley - Wikipedia. But if changed from RKJ to Moitessier for this race it does sound like a race host influence.

Perhaps not stray into the old dead end about keels falling off - let’s see the completion rate in this race (as last one had more boats lost in GGR than in the Vendee Globe swing keelers, but that is an entirely different topic)

Rappey

Visit site
Vendee boats are purpose built, use weather routing,have cutting edge electronics and possibly a totally different skill set to sail .
Is it a fair comparison ?
I'm not sure which one I would rather not do .

Rappey

Visit site
I read an earlier report that said about his Tashiba 36 bouncing across the rocks but it was not holed. Incredibly strong.
Looks just like a Hans Christian or a Baba 35 ?

Blueboatman

Visit site
Horrid horrid thing to happen
A little autopilot attached to the Hydrovane, using milliamperes of power -if only it were allowed and surely they existed in 1969???-would have kept him off the coast as the wind dropped as he dozed on through exhaustion
I have experienced kinda similar under work windvane sailing quietly on a dying breeze at night running up the inside of Ackling island , Bhs, when I peered over the side we were easing up onto the beach in about 2 feet of water . Luckily the boat drew 22 inches and bilge keelers nudge before they come to a full stop…

Poor bxgger , I say?

Last edited:

Minerva

Visit site

Blueboatman

Visit site
So there we have it, the stress of meeting the media gates meant that he was awake for 30 hours preceding the gate and couldn't keep his eyes open long enough to clear the dangers of the rocks.

A shipwreck needlessly caused by the race course set by the organisers.
You put it better than I ??

flaming

Visit site
So there we have it, the stress of meeting the media gates meant that he was awake for 30 hours preceding the gate and couldn't keep his eyes open long enough to clear the dangers of the rocks.

I just thought of how many modern aids even the average cruising boat would have to avoid that issue. Autopilot off course/windshift alarm, GPS XTE alarm, Plotter "rock ahead" alarm... All of which exist and probably would have been employed by the tired solo sailor sailing along a rocky shore - the autopilot off course alarm would of course be automatic.

Plus of course with modern electronics you probably wouldn't have to be awake for 30 hours to get to the gate....

Makes you realise how far safety in sailing, especially in terms of navigation in coastal waters, has come.

This isn't saying that this event shouldn't exist btw, just highlighting the progress made.

dunedin

Visit site

Agreed. And a dangerous mixture of
1). Old technologies (wind vane and sextant etc) which are perfectly safe IF used in they way they were supposed to be - when would keep a safe offing away from hard land , but then
2). Imposing modern demands of media and commerce to come close into land in places defined months before, which may not suit weather or tiredness of the crew.

If wanting to impose these modern demands for Mamon it would have been perfectly easy to allow use of modern GPS and autopilots, which have off course alarms, within a circle of say 100NM from the media point, and then switch off thereafter. Or simply remove these distortions to the course.

Last edited:

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
I just thought of how many modern aids even the average cruising boat would have to avoid that issue. Autopilot off course/windshift alarm, GPS XTE alarm, Plotter "rock ahead" alarm... All of which exist and probably would have been employed by the tired solo sailor sailing along a rocky shore - the autopilot off course alarm would of course be automatic.

Plus of course with modern electronics you probably wouldn't have to be awake for 30 hours to get to the gate....

Makes you realise how far safety in sailing, especially in terms of navigation in coastal waters, has come.

This isn't saying that this event shouldn't exist btw, just highlighting the progress made.

Yep but even all that can sometimes not be enough as Alex Thomson found out.

lonederanger

sailingtravellingaroundtheworld.blogspot.co.uk
Racing or not racing modern tec or old tec, You should not get yourself in the state of not sleeping for 30+ hrs and being so tired that you literally pass out in the cockpit, that is bad management of a solo sailor, we are not talking about an emergency situation, the weather was benign, he was pushing himself too much for an old fella, he made numerous mistakes to get himself in that position and fortunately did not pay the ultimate penalty. Look at Coconut he was coming in at night, he obviously thought sod that and hove to for he night 15 mile offshore, probably had a good sleep and will be well rested, with the loss of 30 miles or something. Its only a short leg hoping down to Lanzarote, Its well within my capabilities and I`m not trying to enter a round the world race and should be within the capabilities of all the entrants, I feel desperately sorry for Guy, all that work and effort, but got too excited and caught up in the race game, forgetting that you cant be the hare all the time.

capnsensible

Visit site
Racing or not racing modern tec or old tec, You should not get yourself in the state of not sleeping for 30+ hrs and being so tired that you literally pass out in the cockpit, that is bad management of a solo sailor, we are not talking about an emergency situation, the weather was benign, he was pushing himself too much for an old fella, he made numerous mistakes to get himself in that position and fortunately did not pay the ultimate penalty. Look at Coconut he was coming in at night, he obviously thought sod that and hove to for he night 15 mile offshore, probably had a good sleep and will be well rested, with the loss of 30 miles or something. Its only a short leg hoping down to Lanzarote, Its well within my capabilities and I`m not trying to enter a round the world race and should be within the capabilities of all the entrants, I feel desperately sorry for Guy, all that work and effort, but got too excited and caught up in the race game, forgetting that you cant be the hare all the time.
Spot on. He is also man enough to blame himself. Rightly so. All this it's the fault of everything but him makes me wonder....