Gently persuaded

Clunk

Visit site
Hi all, been looking around on here since the summertime picking up snippets of information here and there.
Finally decided to become a live aboard, full time boater, drop out, not sure of my title really. I guess some people who know me could be sure, don't think it would be any of my suggestions though.Boat moored on the river trent, hopefully somewhere sunnier at some point but feel lucky to be here to be honest.
We had a little shetland 535 for a good few years which we used to love using at weekends and for a few weeks during the summer, heading down the trent, turning off at Torksey and heading through Lincoln. Most people couldn't understand our pleasure at taking 3 or 4 days to get somewhere by river that you could drive to in just over an hour, where do you begin to explain? You either get it or you don't it seems.
Anyway after some gentle persuasion and promises about how life would be better and no downturn to our lifestyle would be felt my other half agreed to buying a slightly bigger boat and living aboard full time. So we sold the 1979 18ft shetland and purchased a1975 26 ft nimbus. To think this is only 8ft bigger the use of space is unreal.
We have shore power which is a huge bonus. In the 1st week though the water pump broke, so a few days without that until the new one arrived. Promptly fitted so not to much grief. As we're moored on a towpath it appears that everyone that walks by seems to think you can't hear them, it's nice to hear people say that's the kind of Boat I'd have but when they're discussing what your eating for tea it can become a bit odd, so next purchase was covers for the canopy windows then blackout windows on the cockpit. We have 5g Internet up and running which is a bonus. We have blown air heating from our diesel tank which was quite basic on/off, temp, so last week purchased a digital timer which seems such a bonus, warm boat when heading back from work, family, pub. Not sure yet whether best decision but have ditched the gas and bought a small oven/air fryer type thing and single induction hob. The gas locker was for the 4.5kg bottles and they were becoming a pain to source. I must admit I keep saying to my partner, yeah we'll be better off next month but seem to keep adding to the list what we need, got cushions, leisure batteries, covers that match canopy for glass windows (whatever they might be called).
Anyway hello all. Hope to gather information and be of help if at all possible.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
@Clunk best of luck with liveaboard I'm the UK in a small boat , we just returned to Northern Europe after the last 13 years in the Med in a much bigger boat and it feels like we back to the dark ages, this morning in the Netherlands it was 2c and I can say for sure it's not pleasurable.
Hopefully you still feel how you do now in a few months down the line .

RupertW

Visit site
@Clunk best of luck with liveaboard I'm the UK in a small boat , we just returned to Northern Europe after the last 13 years in the Med in a much bigger boat and it feels like we back to the dark ages, this morning in the Netherlands it was 2c and I can say for sure it's not pleasurable.
I thought you were in Denmark now (not sure why) but hope things going ok.

Clunk

Visit site
Yeah, I hope so. Most of the live aboards here say if you make it through the 1st winter then your laughing. We bought a seago dehumidifier and plummed that in a couple of weeks ago, that's made quite a difference. 3 of the windows had minor leaks so have reset those and they seem to be water tight now. Am looking forward at this point to the seasons changing and new challenges. But like you say, let's see in a few months.