First sail out on Hunter 490 @ Rutland

MillingManDan

Visit site
Just back from Rutland Water and the first time out on the Hunter 490 I got late last year. A friend and his Dad came along to give everything a good going over and expertise. We found some of the standing rigging was fitted incorrectly and finally made sense of the myriad of bulls eyes and cleats.

It was quite gusty with 16kts (24 kts gusts) but once out in the open it felt more like permanent 24+. Quite choppy with lots of white crests and windsurfers out in force. The Hunter 490 sailed like a dream. Although I have nothing real to compare it to it seemed stable with main and jib out until near the end when we furled the latter. Probably due to the drop keel and heavy torpedo on the bottom. Looking forward to getting out again soon when it's maybe slightly less windy.

Reliant 490

Visit site
Just back from Rutland Water and the first time out on the Hunter 490 I got late last year. A friend and his Dad came along to give everything a good going over and expertise. We found some of the standing rigging was fitted incorrectly and finally made sense of the myriad of bulls eyes and cleats.

It was quite gusty with 16kts (24 kts gusts) but once out in the open it felt more like permanent 24+. Quite choppy with lots of white crests and windsurfers out in force. The Hunter 490 sailed like a dream. Although I have nothing real to compare it to it seemed stable with main and jib out until near the end when we furled the latter. Probably due to the drop keel and heavy torpedo on the bottom. Looking forward to getting out again soon when it's maybe slightly less windy.

Reliant 490

Visit site
Hi, new here and am interested to get in contact with Hunter 490 owners. I picked up mine several years ago from Rutland waters and trailed her to her new berth in Hamburg, Germany. I started to refurbish her, unfortunately, due to other projects, I stopped work on her for a while. Now I am back to this project: I re-vanished cabin and all areas inside completely and also completed the deck (nearly). Just started sanding down old paint above waterline to the original gelcoat. I used to have contacts to some owners but unfortunately lost emails and most of conversation after a pc breakdown. Looking forward to some new and maybe old contacts, too. Greetings from Hamburg, Germany

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
Hi, new here and am interested to get in contact with Hunter 490 owners. I picked up mine several years ago from Rutland waters and trailed her to her new berth in Hamburg, Germany. I started to refurbish her, unfortunately, due to other projects, I stopped work on her for a while. Now I am back to this project: I re-vanished cabin and all areas inside completely and also completed the deck (nearly). Just started sanding down old paint above waterline to the original gelcoat. I used to have contacts to some owners but unfortunately lost emails and most of conversation after a pc breakdown. Looking forward to some new and maybe old contacts, too. Greetings from Hamburg, Germany
Did you add PC back-ups to your list of projects? (This from someone who spent £200 on trying to recover data from a dead disk and failing!)

JumbleDuck

Visit site
My 490's return to the water is delayed as my crew found that the support for the mast support is rotten, so I have rebuilding to do.

The mast support is a 3" x 2" wooden post which has a slot across it at the bottom and sits on a 3' wide by 1" deep piece of wood with a curved bottom which in turn sits on a 4' wide x 2" strip of wood across the hull. It's that bottom strip which has rotted.

Reliant 490

Visit site
My 490's return to the water is delayed as my crew found that the support for the mast support is rotten, so I have rebuilding to do.

The mast support is a 3" x 2" wooden post which has a slot across it at the bottom and sits on a 3' wide by 1" deep piece of wood with a curved bottom which in turn sits on a 4' wide x 2" strip of wood across the hull. It's that bottom strip which has rotted.
Hi, you have the nice yellow one, right? We were in contact when I bought my boat. That time there was a kind of owners club online and I had contact to a friendly person who owned 2 H490s and wrote technical manuals for this boat. Unfortunately emails to him are deleted, as well as I can‘t find his blog anymore. I saved all his technical descriptions, luckily. Any way, good to hear you still have yours. Greetings from Hamburg

JimC

Visit site
Hi, you have the nice yellow one, right? We were in contact when I bought my boat. That time there was a kind of owners club online and I had contact to a friendly person who owned 2 H490s and wrote technical manuals for this boat. Unfortunately emails to him are deleted, as well as I can‘t find his blog anymore. I saved all his technical descriptions, luckily. Any way, good to hear you still have yours. Greetings from Hamburg
You may like to take a look at the Hunter Association. There is quite a lot of info' on the 490 forum. Membership costs £15 per year.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
You may like to take a look at the Hunter Association. There is quite a lot of info' on the 490 forum. Membership costs £15 per year.
And gook luck finding it. The only thing harder to do than get access to the HA website is to find out what they expect you to pay as membership. The former involves multiple passwords, changed regularly and I never did work out the second. Nice people, admin by Franz Kafka.

JimC

Visit site
And gook luck finding it. The only thing harder to do than get access to the HA website is to find out what they expect you to pay as membership. The former involves multiple passwords, changed regularly and I never did work out the second. Nice people, admin by Franz Kafka.
One click from the link I quoted takes you to the membership application form which also tells you how much and how to pay.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
One click from the link I quoted takes you to the membership application form which also tells you how much and how to pay.
I was a member for years. They decided not to charge long term members. Then they decided to charge us again. I never managed to find a way of logging into the website to renew so I just let it lapse.