'First Light' ashore at Barbados

Bajansailor

Visit site
\'First Light\' ashore at Barbados

I would like to tell you a little story about what can happen to a sailing yacht when she loses her rudder, and does not have provision made for jury-rigging some other means of steering the vessel.

This is what happened to the J 44 'First Light' last January, on her passage across the Atlantic to the Caribbean. Her rudder stock broke when they were approx. 1000 miles east of Barbados.
The crew tried very hard to jury rig a means of steering but eventually admitted defeat, and requested a tow from the MFV 'Ros Ailither' who was following along 2 days behind them.
Once 'Ros Ailither' caught up with them, they tried towing her, but found that she was yawing excessively, and chafing tow ropes constantly. There is a good account of this on Ros Ailithers B Log at
http://trawlertravels.blogspot.com/2006_01_01_trawlertravels_archive.html

Finally a decision was made to abandon ship, and the First Light crew were taken to Barbados on board Ros Ailither. The general opinion at the time was that First Light would soon sink (she was not scuttled) as she was apparently taking on water via the rudder stock aperture.

I didnt hear any more about this, until 4 weeks later, when I saw a story in the local newspaper about a yacht that had washed ashore the day before at Morgan Lewis beach on the east coast of Barbados, so I wandered down to see what was happening.

Arrived at Morgan Lewis to find a gang of enthusiastic salvors busily stripping the wreck...... they did a good job, getting the 3 speed winches off, and even salving the rig in one piece!

She had bounced over a reef on the way in, and then rapidly broke up once she washed up on the beach. Her hull construction is foam sandwich fibreglass topsides and deck, with single skin bottom - sections of hull are still scattered along the beach - the furthest away we have found wreckage is 3 miles south of where she came ashore.

Have a look at the photos below, and consider carefully the consequences of running onto a lee shore in 25 knots wind..... I am of the opinion that if she had been built like a GRP outhouse she might possibly have not broken up so quickly, and might have been salvageable. And if she had been steel or aluminium, I am sure that she would have just sustained a few dents.

FirstLightashoreatMorganLewis5Small.jpg

FirstLightashoreatMorganLewis2Small.jpg

FirstLightashoreatMorganLewis4Small.jpg

A sad end to a very fine vessel.
FirstLightashoreatMorganLewis3Small.jpg

Powersalt

Visit site
Re: First Light ashore at Barbados

very interesting and great pics of the disaster. Are you saying the pics are of this January or Jan last year?

It always seem to be that the yachts survive better than the crew can imagine. Remember the fastnet disaster and all the yachts abandoned that were still floating long after the crew were in dificulties in the liferafts etc etc.
Lesons to be learnt

Bajansailor

Visit site

Ooops, sorry, yes this sad story happened in January last year.

And as you say, invariably an abandoned boat will survive (like in the '79 Fastnet) - if these folk had just stayed with the boat, and drifted across, they would have arrived off Barbados 27 days later, and they could have called up for a tow then. They had lots of food on board - the Ros Ailithers report in their B Log on the windfall that arrived on their MFV with the new crew - and there was still lots remaining on board.
But the bottom line is the human element, and I can well understand why the crew wanted to be taken off.

Chrissie

Visit site

Thanks 'M' Nice to see what can happen when you lose a rudder, so what should I carry to make a make shift rudder, just in case... you have seen my rudder and how its fixed, how would I fit a makeshift? Chrissie of the Black Pearl

Bajansailor

Visit site
Re: a makeshift rudder on a Contessa

Chrissie, after seeing that very substantial chunk of timber beautifully shaped into a rudder for the lovely Black Pearl, and taking note of the equally substantial pintles, gudgeons and bottom bearing for supporting said rudder, I reckon that you will have more important things to worry about at the time (if it drops off) than fitting a makeshift rudder - ie I dont think it will drop off in a hurry (the rest of the boat will have to fall apart first)........... and you have no vulnerable cantilevered rudder stock (like what First Light had) to shear....

But if the worst ever did happen, then a good steering oar (which could also be used as a sweep for rowing with, if the petrol beast is in a cantankerous mood) might be a useful option to consider acquiring.