Fairline Squadron 78 refit/fit - Hard Top

jfm

Visit site
This is another refit thread so I hope you have the stamina! Or perhaps it's just 'fit' rather than “refit”. For non-regulars on here this thread describes winter 2014/15 projects on a Fairline Squadron 78 that was launched in May 2013 and whose build story is here http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?335311-Boat-in-build-pics-(2013-Fairline-Squadron-78). This new "refit" 2014/15 work plan is as follows:

• Hard top
    Curved stabiliser fins - vector fins by Sleipner – to replace my current straight fins
    Carbon fibre ensign staff with stainless steel end fittings, being made by our very own poster, master machinist and all round nice guy Colhel
    Various odds and ends including new transducers, Garmin sonar gizmo, genset fuel monitoring hardware and various small jobs
    New rigid kayak

The work will take a few months and I'll cover the hard top in this thread and maybe the stabilisers in another, and then the other things in a third thread, or something like that. Much of the work is being done by Fairline's Ipswich team who now offer a full retrofit/refit service and are busy for example retrofitting stabilisers to many existing Fairlines. I know them well from my two boats that have gone through their hands and I know they do top quality work, with a smile and a strong “can-do” attitude even when you ask for non-standard things, which I seem to do. They are a mobile team and are travelling to France for much of the work on my boat

So, first the hard top. This is being sold to me officially by BCU but in day to day practice I’m dealing with the Fairline factory team from their Ipswich base. They’re a great team. FYI this project is in the ballpark of £140k including yard charges, some things I'm having custom made by non FL suppliers, and VAT. If you cut out the customisations it would be somewhat cheaper but there's no fun in that. I've grown to like hardtops and I particularly like the one Fairline have designed for the squadron 78. I know there was a thread on here about a year ago in which many folks said differently, but in my opinion Fairline got the shape and detailing of this HT just right. The backward raked shark fins look better than forward raked imho, and little details like for example the droop down pieces at the top of the triple short support tubes are very nice. Below are some stock pics of sisterships, though as explained below mine is going to be a bit different

image.jpg11.jpg

image.jpg7.jpg

hard%20top%202.jpg

image.jpg6.jpg

image.jpg5_1.jpg

And for quick reference/comparison here is the boat currently, before the hard top…
image.jpg1.jpg

A retrofit is indistinguishable from the factory installation because the thing just bolts on, and the exact same team of guys who fit it to the factory boats are going to do mine. The grp moulding (infused and 2 part so it is fully gel coated, no laminate is visible) is made in Slovenia, then Fairline fit the roof mechanism (from Makefast and Flexicovers). The whole shebang weighs about 600kg so stability-wise I’m in a good place, especially when you consider I have 1.5 tonnes more fuel down in the keel than other sq78s

The custom mods on mine are going to be:
  • Silver wrap on the outside, but white on the inside
    Silver coloured canvas roof panel
    Different lighting, plus backlit Fairline badges on the outside of the shark fins
    Better loudspeakers, Bose 131
    Sat domes, aerials, radar mast and radar all painted awlgrip gloss black. Aerials to be mounted on top of the hard top
    No sunbed abaft of the hard top. Custom made GRP storage chest instead, then my existing Laser sailboat will be retained

Below are pictures of it being wrapped in silver. This work has been done by the very excellent Grapefruit Graphics, whom I'd thoroughly recommend. They did Hugo's boat too, possibly in same colour. For scale, in the first picture below the boat in the background is a Squadron 48
photo%202.jpg

image.jpg2.jpg

image.jpg4_1.jpg

image.jpg3_1.jpg

image.jpg3.jpg

The vinyl wrap has to have some joints of course. I think the vinyl is around 1.5m wide but don't quote me on that. They do these joints incredibly neatly with a 3mm overlap, like this…
image.jpg2_1.jpg
photo%201.jpg

To state the obvious I could have had it painted awlgrip silver and I had to weigh up the pros and cons of paint versus wrap. Paint was going to be about £6k and wrap was about £2k. The wrap doesn't have the same deep gloss as the paint but I'll get away with that on a HT. Not everyone will love the silver colour including future buyers, so I can peel off the wrap anytime and return to white. On balance I just decided the wrap made sense. Here is a mock up of the silver plus back hardware. I might wrap the flanks abaft of the saloon windows in silver too, but I'm not sure about it and will leave them white initially.
image.jpg4.jpg

Like some other hard tops, Fairline have made a central support to take most of the weight - the s/s tube "ladder" in the pic below. You can debate this and arguably it slightly interrupts the clear view through the HT, but on the sq 78 there is a support structure in place under the flybridge deck for the existing radar mast and Fairline elected to keep that, so they are placing most of the HT weight on the boat's centre line using this st steel "ladder". Fine by me, and makes my wiring much easier because my wires already come to the base of the old mast so are in exactly the right place to be threaded through the 80mm dia tubes of this ladder structure
image.jpg6_1.jpg

I'm putting much more lighting in. The 2 pics below ( standard build, then mine mocked up) give an idea, although the ten lights across the aft edge will be tiny 30mm dia units not the 85mm dia units shown in this mock up. There will be multiple circuits, dimmable. Light fittings are high CRI Cantalupis, 4250k cold colour, and the switches are all custom etched by Axon with the legends backlit in red LED to match all the other switches on the fly bridge. I'll laso have an illuminated FL badge (see transom door in pic above) on each sharkfin as shown 2 pictures above.
image.jpg8_1.jpg

image.jpg9.jpg

There will also be a removable rectangular pendant lamp hanging low over the dining table for night time outside dining (I still have to design and make this...).
dining%20light.jpg

FWIW below is a quick schematic of the sat domes, radar and whip aerials on top of the hardtop
image.jpg10.jpg

Current state of play is that the HT is finished, in Fairline Ipswich. It travels by road to France next week, arriving Antibes Wednesday. It will then be installed, using a crane obviously, over period of about a week. I'll post pictures of all that over the next days/week. (Just to be clear, all the pictures above of boats with HTs are sisterships not my boat). So far so very good and the fairline "refit team" in Ipswich are doing a fantastic job

BartW, for your info in case this would work on BA, the HT moulding itself is about 5.4m long and 3.4m wide iirc. I'll get you better measurements soon. If it happened to fit BA, my guess is Fairline would sell you one if you wanted! You'd need to find a way to supporting 600kg of course :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Nigelpickin

www.cornishcottageholidays.co.uk
Typically great post, the HT looks great on the other 78's

Agree that it might be good to pick the grey up on some other area to blend little.

600kg! What would that do to speed/consumption? Although the carbon fibre flagpole will offset that a little :)

Not convinced with the black domes but taste not my strongest sense....

Whitelighter

Visit site
Fantastic project JFM.

As usual you are taking an already good product and by adding your own mods, are making it much more stylish. I like the HT and I think the silver wrap does a good job of softening it. The 78 really suits thus and it makes the boat look more complete rather than top heavy or ungainly.

Looking forward to the progress reports.

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
Sorry about typo in title, dang. I've ask mods to fix

@nigel pickin: Yup, I realise the black domes and silver generally won't suit everyone. No worries on that score! 600kg is nowt on a 60 tonne boat. You notice the difference between full and empty of fuel, in terms of the boat's feel/handling and mpg, but that's 7 tonnes. You'd honestly never notice 600kg and I burn that weight of fuel in 90 minutes or so at cruise :)

jfm

Visit site
One other thing - FL have fitted a luff track all the way around the edge of the underside of the HT, in a moulded recessed groove so that you hardly see it. I will then have a winter curtains set made of canvas and those flexi windows, Australia boating style, to enclose the flybridge fully in winter.

Nigelpickin

www.cornishcottageholidays.co.uk
One other thing - FL have fitted a luff track all the way around the edge of the underside of the HT, in a moulded recessed groove so that you hardly see it. I will then have a winter curtains set made of canvas and those flexi windows, Australia boating style, to enclose the flybridge fully in winter.

Now if you go for black canvass and isinglass you might just save the black dome thing :)

This thread is going to make my 'fitting trim tabs to my 3.2m tender' post look a little dull, thanks for that!

MYAG

Visit site
Looks all very nice JFM. About time you came into the world of hardtops. :)

It will transform your evenings on the flybridge, especially at dinner with proper downlighting and directional speakers for just the right music levels. 600kg is nothing up top when you consider the dynamic stabilisation you have underway, I certainly don't feel mine so it's a non issue. You will never go back to a biminied boat I reckon. Another couple of big pluses with this installation is that all the electronics/radar/domes etc are nicely out of view too and you no longer will have a bimini framework to peer through, clear views make a big difference.

Not sure on your height from the fly deck but you might need a ladder to get on top for cleaning/maintenance, I have an excellent and very robust telescopic 3M ladder that stows in the engine room taking up very little space.

Look forward to seeing the finished article..... where did Fairline get the idea of triple SS support legs coming off aft slanted wings I wonder..... :)

6fd31b66-40a2-4d04-9e5e-77097d37dd3c_zps5fb878e5.jpg

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
Now if you go for black canvass and isinglass you might just save the black dome thing :)

This thread is going to make my 'fitting trim tabs to my 3.2m tender' post look a little dull, thanks for that!
No no no, post away. Actually, fitting some kind of trim tabs to my tender is also on my jobs list (around #56) because the bow rises more than I want before it pops over the hump. so i'd be interested in what you come up with!

jfm

Visit site
But I really need to speak to Colin about carbon fibre ensign staff...
He's a star. It's going to look awesome. All the string is hidden inside the tube, so you don't see a toggle/toggle eye at the top nor a cleated cord at the bottom. You just have the uber clean look of the carbon fibre 40mm dia tube (25mm looks way too puny) with the weave showing thru the clear gelcoat, and Colin's beautiful s/steel mirror polished fittings top and bottom. I'll post pics when Colin is finished

rafiki_

Visit site
Interesting stuff JFM. Styling is growing quickly on me, as I wasn't sure when the HT was first launched. Silver is nice, not sure about the black domes though, but this is very personal. If you wrap the structure aft of the saloon windows, will this look a bit Cortina E, with their old vinyl E Pillars? :D

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
Looks all very nice JFM. About time you came into the world of hardtops. :)

It will transform your evenings on the flybridge, especially at dinner with proper downlighting and directional speakers for just the right music levels. 600kg is nothing up top when you consider the dynamic stabilisation you have underway, I certainly don't feel mine so it's a non issue. You will never go back to a biminied boat I reckon. Another couple of big pluses with this installation is that all the electronics/radar/domes etc are nicely out of view too and you no longer will have a bimini framework to peer through, clear views make a big difference.

Not sure on your height from the fly deck but you might need a ladder to get on top for cleaning/maintenance, I have an excellent and very robust telescopic 3M ladder that stows in the engine room taking up very little space.

Look forward to seeing the finished article..... where did Fairline get the idea of triple SS support legs coming off aft slanted wings I wonder..... :)

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums...6-40a2-4d04-9e5e-77097d37dd3c_zps5fb878e5.jpg
Yup you is correct on all point there MYAG. Imitation is a sincere form of flattery and as you know Y80 is one of s/seeker's best drawn yachts ever :D

Yes plan is to install a ladder after the thing has been fitted. I'll get something custom made. I don't have the time or bandwidth to design it now and it will be easier to design it after installation. Meantime I do have a telescopic ladder on the boat for general use

I will enjoy not having the bimini frame spoil most of my photos!

I cannot diss the old hydraulic bimini too much though - my brother now has it on his boat (most families hand-me-down jumpers; we hand-me-down hydraulic biminis :D)

D

Deleted User YDKXO

jfm, excellent thread as usual. Did you consider wrapping the hull as well in the same colour? Just IMHO but I think it would look great and perhaps reduce the visual bulk of the hardtop a little

jfm

Visit site
If you wrap the structure aft of the saloon windows, will this look a bit Cortina E,bwith their old vinyl E Pillars?c :D
Yup, that is my thinking too. Definitely not going to do it initially; easy to do later because Grapefruit just fly to wherever the boat is and do it

Thanks to Mr Moderators Morris for correcting my typo :)

jfm

Visit site
Agree that it might be good to pick the grey up on some other area to blend little.
That will, to an extent, happen by virtue of the hull stripe. All other sq78s built have the standard option sheet choices for the hull stripe which are black/charcoal, gold or navy. Mine is a special order in silver, same as HT. See pic of my boat off Bonifacio above, and compare with all the other pictures that show the charcoal stripe

jfm

Visit site
Here is the C pillar painted, FWIW. As I say I'm not doing this, especially after Rafiki's Cortina comment :D

04%20HT%20and%20C%20pillars%20painted.jpg

Last edited: