"Entering Portugal" effective from today.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Thats what the marina told me as I want to leave for Faro, you can get permission to leave Porugal but you must leave

Maybe declare you're heading for Tangier and ask if you can stay coastal and anchor without going ashore off Sines, Sagres, Portimao and Isla Culatra, avoiding booking in/out anywhere. Once at Culatra, you may just get lost.

nortada

Visit site
Maybe declare you're heading for Tangier and ask if you can stay coastal and anchor without going ashore off Sines, Sagres, Portimao and Isla Culatra, avoiding booking in/out anywhere. Once at Culatra, you may just get lost.
Is Spain, Tangier/Morocco or for that matter Gib ‘open’ to international visitors❓

Trouble could be, when you arrive, you may be asked for your last port-of-call and proof that you had been there. If you cannot prove where you have come from, your destination port may just take it upon themselves to check back.

As some boats in Portimao found during the last lockdown, getting on the wrong side of the system can make life very difficult

Can’t think many can have a pressing need to sail in the near future and hopefully the current restrictions will be relaxed after Easter.

www.gallantspirit.com
Is Spain, Tangier/Morocco or for that matter Gib ‘open’ to international visitors❓

Trouble could be, when you arrive, you may be asked for your last port-of-call and proof that you had been there. If you cannot prove where you have come from, your destination port may just take it upon themselves to check back.

As some boats in Portimao found during the last lockdown, getting on the wrong side of the system can make life very difficult

Can’t think many can have a pressing need to sail in the near future and hopefully the current restrictions will be relaxed after Easter.
Thats my thoughts, just have to wait it out and see hopefully on trhe 5th April it will be ok

Star-Lord

Visit site
We are paid up to 5th April, Easter Monday, and plan to leave then. Sesimbra, Sines then round the corner and a month in the Algarve for starters.

- W
Sesimbra anchorage by night is one of the most awesome views (if the castle lights are still on!) and well worth taking the dinghy to local yacht club for a feast. Bike into town also very nice with great beach and cafes, But the most amazing sail is into Setubal - you will probably pass a big navy ship or two. The anchorage is on the left as you enter the lagoon and if there is a south wind you move down south into the lagoon and anchor with the dolphins that live in this lagoon!! Navily app will show you the two anchorages in Setubal. Also there is a tiny marina there on the right as you enter the lagoon - you will not need fuel or supermarket but the supermarket is very good. From Cascais to Setubal was one of my favourite winter sails and the cliffs and views are fab. Probably my favourite sail though is sailing the Tagus! Just fantastic... got amazing videos passing tankers and ships and the views of Lisbon are all there to see. A trip to marina Alcantara (they always have a spot) and then beers and food here... OKAH for the best views in Lisbon! So many people rush down to the boring Algarve and get stuck there! Did you sail to Expo marina? Love that part of town. Miss winters in Lisbon. Bloody Brexit.

greeny

Visit site
Current situation at Portimao now is about a dozen boats at anchor off the Ferragudo side. Many of these have been here for a few months now but a couple seem to come and go seemingly at will. I can only assume they are going to maybe Alvor for a few days then back. Every few days a new boat appears and hangs around for a day or two and then quietly slips away. Maybe they're in transit, I don't know. AIS very quiet at the moment. Nothing showing as moving. Suspect most people have turned them off as you may expect.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
We are planning leaving here on Monday and heading to Sesimbra then Sines.

The Rules say that from Monday "low-risk sports can be practiced and physical activity outdoors is allowed in groups of up to four people"

That seems to cover it.

- W

nortada

Visit site
As I write, here in Lagos, there are 6 boats on the arrival pontoon. Dutch, Spanish and some Brits.

For the past few days the weather has not been good with a strong south easterly and high seas.

They have not logged into the marina so may be on route, using Lagos as a port of refuge.

The lifting bridge and an isolated shower block make Lagos an ideal place to ride out bad weather.

greeny

Visit site
Here in Portimao I've lifted and launched 2 boats in the past 3 weeks and not had to get any permissions from PM. There seems to an understanding that as long as the boat goes from the yard to anchorage or marina there is no requirement. Different places controlling their areas in the way they seem fit.
I'm still waiting for some confirmation that recreational sailing is back on the agenda for next week. Up to now we've had no affirmative.
On a different note my wife is currently on Manchester to Dublin flight transferring to Faro flight this evening. No problems yet. Passport, Residencia, Covid test all in the bag. Along with my custard powder. :)

Graham376

Visit site
Here in Portimao I've lifted and launched 2 boats in the past 3 weeks and not had to get any permissions from PM. There seems to an understanding that as long as the boat goes from the yard to anchorage or marina there is no requirement. Different places controlling their areas in the way they seem fit.

Ria Formosa is a nature reserve with it's own statute and PM very involved/controlling. Permission granted but I have to notify time of movement to Piquete - whoever they are, new name to me.

A deslocação requerida foi autorizada pelo Capitão de Porto de Faro.
Deverá informar o Piquete da Polícia Marítima de Faro a hora do movimento.

lusitano

Visit site
Ria Formosa is a nature reserve with it's own statute and PM very involved/controlling. Permission granted but I have to notify time of movement to Piquete - whoever they are, new name to me.

A deslocação requerida foi autorizada pelo Capitão de Porto de Faro.
Deverá informar o Piquete da Polícia Marítima de Faro a hora do movimento.

Piquete = Night/emergency watchman, probably Officer of the Watch in Maritime Police termsScreenshot_2021-04-02 Comando Local de Faro.png

Last edited:

Graham376

Visit site
I've had plenty of dealings with them before but this is a new term they're using although email address and phone numbers are the same. Yet another department, they've most likely split off those out and about on patrol in the boats. Faro office already has the Algarve chief as well as Divisional/Local Chief and all of them are controlled by the Capitania.

greeny

Visit site
Wife arrived last night with no problems in Faro except delays at passport control. 12 british on the plane to go through the "other" queue. First two to go were "elite sports people" They took 20 mins to get past the man in uniform. But eventually they got through. Others arrived with covid tests and locator forms on their phones. It took ages for them to get through. Man at the desk not happy at mobile phone use but to be fair it does allow it in the rules. (I read it somewhere, don't ask for a link). Why can't people just print them off though. The man doesn't want to handle your phone and he can't read it through the screen very well. My wife was through in 2 mins when it got to her turn with everything printed. She was asked where she came from and was told to isolate. No further instruction given. We are expecting a phone call to tell her to go for covid test on about day 5 I believe. lets see what happens.

greeny

Visit site
Manchester, Dublin, Faro. 10 hr wait in Dublin. I think going the other way you have to overnight in Dublin which may be difficult. Courtesy of Ryanair.
You can also fly via Amsterdam, maybe the timings will be better that way.

Quiddle

Visit site
On a different note my wife is currently on Manchester to Dublin flight transferring to Faro flight this evening. No problems yet. Passport, Residencia, Covid test all in the bag. Along with my custard powder. :)
I did this route on 8/3 with no probs. Also PCR and residencia cert. on phone which I showed through the glass without issue.
Dutch boat sailed from Albufeira to Portimao last week and got €1000 fine for his trouble?. If engine issues sorted will be heading N on Wednesday with no intention of landing before UK but will chat with police 1st.

Last edited: