"Entering Portugal" effective from today.

greeny

Visit site
Interesting development for entering Portugal. Apologies if already known about but is effective from today.

"From 00.01 on Sunday 7 March until 23.59 on 16 March, passengers arriving to mainland Portugal on flights originating from either the UK or Brazil, including anyone who has transited via another airport with authorised connections to Portugal, must additionally observe a 14-day quarantine period at home or in a place indicated by the Portuguese National Health Authority."
Source:-
Entry requirements - Portugal travel advice

nortada

Visit site
Interesting development for entering Portugal. Apologies if already known about but is effective from today.

"From 00.01 on Sunday 7 March until 23.59 on 16 March, passengers arriving to mainland Portugal on flights originating from either the UK or Brazil, including anyone who has transited via another airport with authorised connections to Portugal, must additionally observe a 14-day quarantine period at home or in a place indicated by the Portuguese National Health Authority."
Source:-
Entry requirements - Portugal travel advice

TAP with new flight from Brazil to Portugal announced for 11 March

Be interested how much the 14 quarantine will cost to stay in a place indicated by the Portuguese health authorities.

nortada

Visit site
Hi Webby, Any idea when you are going to quit Cascais and what will be your first port of call ❓

A lot of very frustrated sailors will be very keen to hear how you get on

- N

Reactions: RJJ

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Hi Webby, Any idea when you are going to quit Cascais and what will be your first port of call ❓

A lot of very frustrated sailors will be very keen to hear how you get on

- N

We are paid up to 5th April, Easter Monday, and plan to leave then. Sesimbra, Sines then round the corner and a month in the Algarve for starters.

- W

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
This has been an insanely long stay in one place for me... I know a lot of people shack up in a marina for six months every year, but the only time I've lived aboard in the Winter Kathy and I were cruising the Western Canaries and didn't stay in one place longer than three weeks.

Plan is (probably) to lift out at Bruce's Yard near Faro around the end of May, fly home, get the house ready to holiday let, rescue and fix Fairwinds and sail her to the Utter Hebrides.

Back to the Algarve in September, sail to Madeira, spend a month or so there, then down to Tenerife. Fly home for Christmas (leave the boat afloat in Las Palmas). Back down to the Canaries end Jan, ten weeks cruising then back to Madeira and on to the Azores in May. Back to Portugal in September.

(The Azores will be a one-off, normally we will be sailing Fairwinds in Scotland in the Summer)

Rinse and repeat until I am too old. Six months in Portugal/Madeira, 3 months in the Canaries, 3 months in Scotland. Maybe a wee side trip into the Med one year.

Not saying it will happen, I am getting old and achy.

But hey it's a plan.

- W

Last edited:

Kelpie

Visit site
Sounds like a good plan, good luck- about time you guys got a break.
Of course you could forget about flying home for Christmas and jump on with us for a Transat instead... just a thought :D

nortada

Visit site
Latest from SEF. No recreational sailing until at least after Easter (5 Apr).

However, delivering a vessel direct to a boatyard/marina to be lifted can be booked with SEF on a case-by-case bases. Direct means no recreational sailing on the way so a departure and arrival times have to be approved.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Latest from SEF. No recreational sailing until at least after Easter (5 Apr).

However, delivering a vessel direct to a boatyard/marina to be lifted can be booked with SEF on a case-by-case bases. Direct means no recreational sailing on the way so a departure and arrival times have to be approved.

I hear permission usually granted for boats to be launched to leave the country directly.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Cascais Marina says no problem with boats coming and going. Phoned Sines and they said the same thing.

So who knows what the real situation is. Not many yachts showing up on Marine Traffic, but if I was sailing just now I would switch the AIS off.

- W

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Cascais Marina says no problem with boats coming and going. Phoned Sines and they said the same thing.
So who knows what the real situation is. Not many yachts showing up on Marine Traffic, but if I was sailing just now I would switch the AIS off.
- W

Webby, this is Portugal where every jobsworth has a different interpretation of laws/rules :) Our club in Faro still not running water taxi out to moorings because sailing not allowed but, just down the coast a few miles, Vilamoura have been running Olympic qualifying sailing event.

There are strict rules announced for the week before and during Easter to stop folks travelling for family reunions or to holiday properties but think things will become easier afterwards.

Quiddle

Visit site
Webby, this is Portugal where every jobsworth has a different interpretation of laws/rules :) Our club in Faro still not running water taxi out to moorings because sailing not allowed but, just down the coast a few miles, Vilamoura have been running Olympic qualifying sailing event.

There are strict rules announced for the week before and during Easter to stop folks travelling for family reunions or to holiday properties but think things will become easier afterwards.
Whilst I agree that 5th April seem the 'official date', watching Marine Traffic there are many sail boats navigating the Portuguese coast, including putting in at various ports, and seemingly without issue. My Algarve marina contract expires on April fool's day :rolleyes: and I'm planning to ship out by then at the latest to head north, though not with any intentions of going ashore en route.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Very few yachts on Marine Traffic. Those I can see are either well offshore or showing Gib as the destination.

Mind you, if I was on passage just now the AIS would be off.

- W

nortada

Visit site
Whilst I agree that 5th April seem the 'official date', watching Marine Traffic there are many sail boats navigating the Portuguese coast, including putting in at various ports, and seemingly without issue. My Algarve marina contract expires on April fool's day :rolleyes: and I'm planning to ship out by then at the latest to head north, though not with any intentions of going ashore en route.
Planned destination?